Taunton River

Trip reports that don't have a page dedicated to them.

Moderator: Chip

getnoutside

Taunton River

Post by getnoutside »

Even though I grew up on the Satucket River and spent much of my childhood canoeing it and the connecting Matfield River (a nasty smelling river at the time), I never made it as far as the Taunton River. Yesterday was the first time I had ever been on the Taunton.

I hooked up with my friend Dan at 1:00 to paddle a small section of the Taunton River. He has a small rec boat so we were realistic about how far we would be able to paddle in the 3 hours of remaining daylight. I arrived at the South St put-in first and noticed that the water-level seemed to be up and moving pretty fast (maybe as much as 2.5 knots).. Had I known there was such a strong current, I would have suggested doing the two car shuffle and a one-way paddle. Also, the put-in was steep and would be tricky. Dan arrived and we agreed that it would be best to paddle north against the current before reversing our direction and heading back to our cars.

From the get-go it was obvious that Dan was working hard against the current in his Old Town "Otter", while I was barely paddling in my more stream-lined boat. Luckily, Dan's in good shape and didn't mind the workout.

The section of river between South St. and Rt 44 reminded me of the Concord River. There were very few houses and thick woods, while closer to 44, the river is bordered with pastures (we were even accompanied by a heard of cows). As pretty as the river was, Dan and I agreed that foliage season would be the ideal time to paddle the Taunton.

We switched boats about 1/2 way to rt44. I felt like I needed some exercise and that Dan could use a break. It was soon apparent that 230lbs was not meant for a 9' rec boat as I had minimal freeboard to work with.

It took us 2 hours to make the 2.5 miles to Rt. 44 (with a couple of breaks) where we turned around and headed back. The return leg with the current only took us 30 minutes.

A quick video:
http://sdrimages.smugmug.com/gallery/2147394/1/111311876/Medium
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Canoe Passage Outfitters provides a decent online map showing put-ins for the Taunton

http://www.canoepassage.com/trips/taunton_river_map.htm
kayakerjnj

Taunton River

Post by kayakerjnj »

I love this paddle. I've done the Summer Street Bridge to the Back of theold location of Canoe Passage Out fitters about 6 times. One year we had an amazinly mild 70 degreee December First and did the 12 mile route in 3hours 15 min. That' when I still had my OLD Town Nantucket.

It's always a great paddle. Did the SWANS come after you about 2 miles prior to Rte 24? They always managed to take a run at me when I went by them.

Betch you they taste like chicken LOL

Glad you had fun,

Jordan
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Jordan,

I've heard they taste gamey. We didn't get over to 24 so didn't experience an attacking. It was a great day for a paddle.

My friend just sent me his pics. Look at that Rooster Tail!!! :) Like a trident submarine about to submerge.
Ellen

envy

Post by Ellen »

Your pictures made me regret that I stored my kayak away for the rest of the year