first paddle of spring

Trip reports that don't have a page dedicated to them.

Moderator: Chip

pattinewpaddler

first paddle of spring

Post by pattinewpaddler »

Well, this is my first forum post, and it comes after a bit of cabin fever. Now that spring is here officially, though not in temperature friendliness, I had to take the opportunity to go kayaking when I was in Florida last week. My sister and I were on a 6 day trip to Clearwater and Gulfport FL when we spent a day at Fort DeSoto park and beach. It was named as the top pick of beaches in the world in 2005 by "Dr. Beach". We rented 12 or 14 ft dirigo anglers for the trip, and meandered through a marked trail out in the lagoons of Tampa Bay. It felt sooooo good to get out on the water finally! Sadly, we had to return to the less hospitable temps of the northeast the day after, though it left me hungry for more, and anxious to feel the warmth of spring and summer up here. ah...that would be sooner than later... 8) [/b]
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" Jim Elliott
Todd

Post by Todd »

I lived 4 yesrs in St. Petersburg and unfortunatley I didn't have the kayaking bug when I was there. Fort DeSoto is a great place to paddle, you can hope from the beach to mangrove and see alot of life. I would love to kayak the intercoastal from St John's Pass to Pass-A-Grille, stopping at the Tiki huts along the way, supping on Grouper sandwiches and oysters, washed down with a Red Stripe and umbrella drinks. Good way to start your new habit Pat.
Carolina Perception 14.5
Wilderness Systems Tempest 170
pattinewpaddler

it was such a tease though

Hi Todd,
Thanks for the post. It was my first time in Florida and I was thoroughly blessed to be able to kayak during the trip. My sister and I hoped to rent again on our last day, but were too late arriving. There is a yak shop that sets up rentals at Wheedon Island Preserve on Saturdays but they close at 4:30 pm. We got there just as they were packing up the boats. It would have bee a great way to spend our last couple of free hours before heading to the airport. Oh well.
I was reading a line of posts about getting back on the water, and where to go for PPR. This is still new to me, and I have a recreational kayak, a 10 ft wilderness pamlico 100, not made for rolling. I also went halves on another kayak last fall with a girlfriend of mine who has a pamlico 100 too. The third is an Old Town Voyager 11ft. Both models have the larger cockpit opening.
Do any of the WTP gang ever kayak down in the Westport MA area or Warren RI? It is still way too cold for me. I haven't ventured into buying a wetsuit yet. Maybe when I graduate to a sea kayak I'll have to gear up. Anyway. I am just daydreaming as I shiver here in my chilly house.

Again, thanks for the reply. I hope to get out and paddle with the wtp gang sometime this summer, on a day that the surf isn't bad and the route is rec-yak friendly.

Patti :D
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" Jim Elliott
Todd

Post by Todd »

Patti,

The turkeys haven't gotten down to Westport or RI yet, but we are always open to new adventures. As the seaons progresses, you will see people making suggestions, planning trips that they want to take, and they will invite others. You can do that for your favorite place to paddle.

We are also a group made up of a wide variety of people, various yaks and amnbitions. Rolling is not on everyones list, cold water isn't either, and some of the group enjoy spending days on lazy rivers, placid ponds and lakes. You'll find your niche here. Just keep looking and watching and posting.
Carolina Perception 14.5
Wilderness Systems Tempest 170
pattinewpaddler

thanks

I'll keep my eyes open for things. Thanks. I just noticed there is a section for that stuff.

Patti
kayakerjnj

Pond Sessions

Post by kayakerjnj »

Hi and Welcome,

You might find the Hanson - Camp Kiwanee Skills sessions both fun and useful. We practice everything from basic strokes, rescues, and rolls.

See you on the water,

Jordan
pattinewpaddler

thanks

Hi Jordan,

Thank you. I'll have to check it out. When does this start? I need to check this site out further. I started kayaking last May. Did a quite a lot of lake and calm river paddling in the summer into the fall. Was very sad to pack away the boats in Sept, especially when we had those warm days in November. I almost pulled out one of them for a quick trip, but I didn't have the time to do it.

Patti
kayakerjnj

Pond Sessions

Post by kayakerjnj »

Hi Patti,

The pond sessions usually start as soon as the water temperatures become a bit more condusive to practice. My guess is around lat May we should be in the pond.

Keep a watch on the site, I'm sure a there will be many posts as it gets closer.

http://www.sdrimages.com/gallery/1689950

Check out these videos, they really convey the fun we all have practicing and playing as a group.

Cheers,

Jordan
pattinewpaddler

great videos

I enjoyed the videos on the link you put in your note. Looked like fun.
I just found the RICKA site too, and they are actually having a paddle right near me in another month. I can't wait. It was one I wanted to do this year, the snake river.

Patti