Cohasset 8.25 - The Gulf to Minots Light

Trip reports that don't have a page dedicated to them.

Moderator: Chip

Finn McCool

Cohasset 8.25 - The Gulf to Minots Light

Post by Finn McCool »

We have three paddlers who earlier today marked a WTP rite of passage by making it out to Minots Light (and back :P ).

We started out with a leisurely warm up paddle into The Gulf River over to North Scituate...and then came back out to head out to the open ocean ledges off Strawberry Point. Once there, we decided to go for it...and were treated to some nice swells on the way. We hung out on the far ocean side of the light for a while ...and then fought our way back against a rising headwind roaring off the overheated mainland. (It got pretty torrid by midday.)

I think we need merit badges for Minots.

Perhaps my paddling compatriots would like to stand up, be recognized, and add their 2 cents.
Last edited by Finn McCool on Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Alla har rätt till min åsikt!
cgr

Post by cgr »

Thanks for calling this paddle; I had a great time. I didn't think that the headwind was too bad; at least the swell going to shore seemed to equalize things. Once we got closer to the harbor in shallower water around the point the swell disappeared, but a bit closer there were plenty of boat wakes going in our direction.

The swell around Minots were interesting, every so often a larger wave would pass by. One of them hit when I was passing down current from the light.

I got a couple of shots with my camera, I'll try and download them later on.
I took Atlantic Ave on my route home; saw a couple of boats playing under the bridge at Little Harbor.
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Minot's Light was one of the first trips I couldn't wait to go on and it was a blast when we finally did it. I love the way that massive structure rises into the sky from right out of the sea. I've been back a few times and it's always awesome site.

Glad you guys had a good trip.

Nelson
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
norm

Post by norm »

Rookie mistake - I first posted this reply on the upcoming trips section....

Thank you to Mike for a giving me a great first trip out into the open ocean on an excellent day. The participants were Mike, Norm, Chris and Skip. We started off in The Gulf as planned. Then we went out to Strawberry Point and the conditions were good for making a trek out and around Minots Light so we went for it. Getting out there was no problem but we paid the price on the way back as the offshore warm breeze gave us a workout all the way back in. The total trip distance on my GPS was 9 miles. Time paddling was about 3 hours 20 minutes. Looking forward to doing this trip again in the fall and next time I will find a way to bring a camera.

No merit badges needed for me, the wonderful feeling of being out on those ocean swells and accomplishing an open water trip were satisfaction enough for me.

Norm
Finn McCool

Post by Finn McCool »

Duh! Hey Pat...can you change the date on the thread title to 8.25? :oops:

A great morning on the water. Glad you guys liked it.
pallen661

Post by pallen661 »

Glad you all had a good trip. Not to be the point head I am, but the title has you going out in a month (9.25).

Phil

Edit ps: teach me not to read all the responses before speaking up. (see finn above)
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Finn McCool wrote:Duh! Hey Pat...can you change the date on the thread title to 8.25? :oops:

A great morning on the water. Glad you guys liked it.

Mike, You should be able to edit your own post.

Nelson
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
Finn McCool

Post by Finn McCool »

Duh, again. :oops: Done.
Skip

Post by Skip »

Well, Mike took us on a "mild, lesiurely paddle" Saturday.
First we unloaded the boats and then parked in the next town over because of all the reserved lots. Then we hit the death defying rapids into the gulf river only to have to return back through those same rapids, now flowing out. Next we headed out of the harbor towards Minots light. What was gentle rolling swells became three foot waves ontop of 10 foot swells. We rounded the light house and then headed back the eight miles or whatever it was to shore. The headwinds were picking up now along with the swells and waves, so we had to paddle a lot harder to return. We finally made it back into the harbor and calmer waters. Fighting off the effects of sea sickness I loaded the boat on the van, (after walking two miles back to get it) and headed home to rest. :oops:

So, maybe I exaggerated a little, because I actually did have a good time and Cohassett harbor and Minots light were a first for me. Thanks Mike.
:lol:
Current Designs Solstice GT HV
Old Town Nantucket