Flater Water HERE!

Moderator: Chip

kayakerjnj

Flater Water HERE!

Post by kayakerjnj »

Wanted to be first! :lol:

I hope folks will post their favorite flatwater spots that might be suitable for alternate locations to Hanson.

For several seasons, people have had their challenges getting to Hanson during rush hour, and simply unless you are locally situated, there's no fast route.

So anyone sitting on any hidden clean - flatwater jewels, with parking access, please consider sharing them.

Cheers,

Jordan
crayolabarb

How about Lake Cochituate in Wayland/Natick? Metrowest?

Post by crayolabarb »

Hi Jordan and Everyone-

I'm getting ready to make my first trek down to be with you in Hanson in a few mins, so I'll see just how bad this commute is going to be from Sudbury.

But, is ANYONE of the WTPs in the METROWEST area?

Charles River Canoe and Kayak have one of their locations on Lake Cochituate near the public beach area. I think you need to pay the State Park fee to enter.

HOWEVER- for FREE PARKING and PUT-IN:
Across the road- Rte. 30, there is a great place to put-in and a decently sized parking lot, maybe for 10 or 12 cars, plus parking places along the lane leading to it.

It's a nice Lake- I think pretty clean- they have 2 public beaches.
Some nice areas to paddle too! You can paddle under Rt. 30 into another part of the like. Nice treed shoreline!

It is also very close to the Natick exit from the Pike and not too far from 128.

Is there anyone interested in ever meeting there?

OK, off I go!
Wish me luck finding you!

Barbara
Avocet LV Orange/White
Cetus LV Black/White w Red trim
Tempest 16.5 Red Roto
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Did you ever make it down to Hanson this afternoon?

Maybe next time.

Have a good weekend.

Jordan
Finn McCool

Post by Finn McCool »

Well, anytime someone wants to give it a try....

...I propose an excursion around the protected environs and creeks of Cohasset harbor and the Gulf River. Got to time the Gulf stretch with the tides...but its all flatwater with just a little current heading in and out under the bridge. Usually minor texture in the outer harbor and out along Bassings beach, but I've seldom seen it significant. As long as you don't go out beyond Strawberry Point you are fairly assured of easy going. An interesting 3 hour circuit that shouldn't tax the ability of anyone who can get themselves into a kayak.
Alla har rätt till min åsikt!
Beanboy

Post by Beanboy »

I'd be interested. Any shallow spots to deal with in Cohasset harbor and the Gulf River? Have a fairly fragile boat and paddle...
Finn McCool

Post by Finn McCool »

Beanboy wrote:I'd be interested. Any shallow spots to deal with in Cohasset harbor and the Gulf River? Have a fairly fragile boat and paddle...

Not around high tide...which is when you would have to get in and out of the Gulf. At low tide, its all sand bars and flats off of the beach, but the channel is still quite navigable. The only time I go out at low is when we're meeting friends on the sandbars with a cold six of Sam Adams or a bottle of Pinot Noir....or something that belongs in a paper bag. (Matters little after half the bottle is gone... :P )

High tide is the time to go...and you are not likely to have problems. I'd go out this weekend...but I'm booked tomorrow...and Sunday looks pretty busy too. I'll post a time later.
Last edited by Finn McCool on Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alla har rätt till min åsikt!
crayolabarb

Didn't make it Thurs, sadly. Aiming for next!

Post by crayolabarb »

Hi Jordan and everyone!

Sadly, I nixed the trip down to Hanson thurs. learning that the traffic on 128 was ridiculous! Maybe folks heading out for the Cape early or something. It's going to be over an hour WITHOUT traffic!

Anyway, I will aim to head down to Hingham early next Thurs. and meet you there at the harbor!

My husband and I went on a whale watch yesterday out of Gloucester- another nice way to get out on the cool water on a hot day- and then did some easy paddling around Gloucester harbor just as the sun was approaching setting- and the storm was moving in! Got out just in time!

After yesterday it's become clear that I need to look for some wheels to ferry the boats from the car to the water. I'm learning that my trapezius muscles get so sore from even helping to carry my husband's roto tsunami across the beach- it makes my paddling then painful!

I also am looking for a nice, lightweight paddle. I held the Werner Cypress with a small dia. shaft at CRCK a couple of weeks ago and never wanted to let it go- (oh, I'm hearing that song!) but the price- $380 is way out of my league!

Any suggestions on where to get wheels and a paddle will be greatly appreciated!

I do so look forward to meeting and paddling with you!

It is going to be a long trip.
And no responses from paddlers living in my area- Sudbury/Metrowest.

If you know of any please them them post or email me!

Thanks for looking for me Thurs.

Barbara
Avocet LV Orange/White
Cetus LV Black/White w Red trim
Tempest 16.5 Red Roto