Looking for paddling company

Moderator: Chip

Linda

Looking for paddling company

Post by Linda »

Hi, All!
I want to paddle Wed, 9/24 and am looking for someone available that day and interested. I am willing to travel... don't have plans yet... depends on who responds and what they'd like to do.
Respond here if able to paddle and we can make plans.
Still Mind, Relaxed Breath, Pure Attention...
Paddling is Great Therapy!
nchill

Wednesday at Whitehall

Post by nchill »

Hi Linda,

I am panning to paddle on Wednesday at Whitehall State Park/Reservoir on Route 135 in Hopkinton, MA. It is 32 miles from the center of Mansfield to the reservoir. If that is not too far, the earliest I could be these is noon. It is a beautiful reservoir with islands and coves to explore. You can barely see a house, as the perimeter is State owned and surrounded by trees. If you want to look at where is it, do a map search for Dale Road (the closest road that crosses 135) in Hopkinton.

I usually spend a few hours in a leisurely paddle around, taking some time to stop here and there for some rolling practice or photography. The main intent though, is just a nice relaxing paddle.

-Nancy
Linda

Post by Linda »

I am familiar with Whitehall Reservoir... have been there several times but not lately. I was hoping to do a coastal paddle but would much rather paddle with company.
I am intrigued by yourstatement about doing some 'rolling practice'... I too, would like to take some time to work on rolls. Perhaps we could 'spot' each other for a bit.
Do you know if the water level is sufficient there now? Also, other fresh water places I've been seem to be more over run by vegetation this year... has that been Whitehall's plight too?
nchill

Whitehall Weeds and Water Level

Post by nchill »

There are always weeds in Whitehall, but at the far end the water is deep and there are no weeds in that area. There is a small island in that deep area where one can get out of the kayak in shallow water. The water level in the entire reservoir is quite high from all the rain we have had this year. As the weather gets cooler the weeds start to die off. There are a few other weedless spots here and there.

-Nancy
Linda

Post by Linda »

Sounds good! I've been to Norton Reservoir, 10 min from my house, with the goal of practicing rolling only to find it is over run by weed this year... much worse than the past... so I felt uneasy about flipping and exiting by myself, for fear I'd get tangled.
At this time, I am planning to meet you there, I will show earlier to be sure not to miss you... However, I have issues with my Mother-in Law (and my Hubby is out of state on buisiness) and must get her to testing today... hopefully, it won't interfer with tomorrow, too! If I am not there by Noon, as you stated, don't wait...
My boat is yellow over white... worse scenerio, I'll find you on the
Lake!
Linda!
AllieGal3

Weedy water

Post by AllieGal3 »

Linda,

Just read this. So it's not worth going to the reservoir then? I don't want to have to deal with weedy water.