Wednesday in Fairhaven

Moderator: Chip

nchill

Wednesday in Fairhaven

Post by nchill »

I would like to find companions for a leisurely paddle around West Island in Fairhaven, MA on Wednesday. I plan to launch at Hoppy's Landing at around 10:30 (there is a $5 launch fee). Hoppy's is on Goulart Memorial Drive, across from Earl's Marina. The trip around is only 6 miles, but can be made longer by paddling over to the tip of Sconticut Neck. I'd like to spend some time on the beach for lunch and some time practicing rolling along the way, spending about 3-4 hours at most on the water/beach.

I have been lurking on this forum for a while, but have not been out paddling until recently due to a broken foot. I am finally able to hobble down to the water without my crutches and I am anxious to meet some of the Wild Turkey Paddlers. I met Linda (free2goyaking) recently and we paddled in Onset. I think she was trying to kill me in some of those currents. ;-)

-Nancy
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Hi Nancy,

If you launch from Ned's point it's free and a really nice view heading to West Island.

We were just there on Saturday.

Enjoy the paddle.

Cheers,

Jordan
nchill

Ned's Point

Post by nchill »

Thanks, Jordan. I see Ned's Point in Mattapoisset on Google earth.

I am more in the mood for a leisurely paddle with some stops on the beach and some rolling practice, rather than an open water crossing. I have been on the couch recuperating from the broken foot for so long, I tend to get tight hamstrings and need to get out of the kayak to stretch once in a while. I am paddling a s-o-f with my legs out straight in front of me.

The launch fee at Hoppy's does not bother me too much after taking into consideration what the gas costs to get there! There is also a state launch further down the bay in Fairhaven (off Seaview Road?), but I do not remember is that has a fee or is free.

-Nancy
cgr

Post by cgr »

Last year around this time Kate and I parked at the beach for free at the town beach at the tip of West Island.
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

There's also a parking lot next to the Marina that faces West Island, adjacent to the bridge, that just had the ramp done over.

It's also a fee parking lot but very convenient.

Watch the tides, just in case you are planning to go under the bridge when it is flowing fast, its a little narrow.

Hope you have a speedy recovery!

It's nice to have another paddler who enjoys some rolling practice too!

Have a great day tomorrow.

Jordan
nchill

Thanks for the ideas

Post by nchill »

Thanks for the good ideas, everyone. I forgot about driving out to the town beach where parking is free off season. It's not a very long walk to the water, either. Good idea.