Promoting recreational kayaking

Moderator: Chip

pat
Site Admin

Promoting recreational kayaking

Post by pat »

A few of us were standing around yesterday waiting for the game to start and the topic came up about recreational kayaking. This is something that we've discussed at length before, but we decided that maybe we should put something into place before this year's NSRWA expo.

I've slapped together a page for this. If any of you who write better than me (*cough*nelson) want to reword it or add to it, please let me know. I'm going to add a few appropriate recreational paddling photos.

http://www.wtpaddlers.org/rec.html

The general idea is that we suspect that most recreational paddlers are probably frightened off by all the discussion of sea kayaking, dry suits, vhf radios and other topics of interest only to the hard core kayaker. Also, since many recreational paddlers have... (let me see - what's that called again? Oh yeah...) LIVES, they don't have the desire to watch our forum on a daily basis.

So I'd like to put together a mailing list for rec kayakers, and when we're planning a suitable trip, I'll send out an email to alert them about it and point them to the related thread in the forum.

We can have dedicated recreational trips in protected water areas as well as a separate group to go out of Hingham Harbor on Thursday nights.

I was thinking that along with the usual flyer that we hand out at the expo, maybe we could have something geared toward the rec crowd, and also an email signup sheet there at the booth.

Thoughts?
chpaton

rec paddling

Post by chpaton »

Pat:

I think you are on the right track. Lot's of folk find the site, register and submit one or two posts but then never seem to be heard from again, maybe put off by the lack of any shorter duration "more relaxing" types of outings.

Personally, I find it very hard to dedicate an entire summer day to kayaking and would be happy to participate in more half day Turkey Trips in more relaxed setting.
Craig
Hurricane A/S Tracer Yellow/White
Heritage Shearwater - Red/White
Heritage Tandem - Mango
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Pat,
I think the page looks great. One thought I had might be to add a drop down on the form that lists some of the different types of recreational paddling trips we might do and let them choose which one's (or all) they are most interested in.

Just a thought.
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

I think it rocks! Great idea!
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

What different types of trips are there? You don't think they'd want to know about all rec trips?
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

pat wrote:What different types of trips are there? You don't think they'd want to know about all rec trips?

You may have someone that only wants to do rivers and ponds, someone else who'd like to do the harbor trips like Hingham, Duxbury, Plymouth, etc. Then you might have others who are are looking for slightly larger trips like Chip did near the end of last season.

I thought a little more info might be helpful. Either way... it was just a thought.
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

What was the one that Chip did?
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

pat wrote:What was the one that Chip did?

http://www.wtpaddlers.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1344
cgr

Post by cgr »

One of the most beneficial things to come out of this would be for rec boat paddlers to make connections with other paddlers.

Last year I paddled on multiple AMC river trips. The trips were great; but meeting other paddlers of the same ability level let us plan additional trips.

So my suggestion would be to have some rec boat trips on the calendar in advance. Since these are most likely to be in protected waters then weather/sea state should not be as much of an issue. You could have a brief summary of the trip(paddle around Monponsett pond for example) and any requirements(pfd - yes, sprayskirt - no)
Chip

Post by Chip »

Birdseye wrote:
pat wrote:What was the one that Chip did?

http://www.wtpaddlers.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1344

I wouldn't classify this as a Rec Trip. We were all in Sea Kayaks, went through Hull gut and paddled close to 10 miles. Entry level Sea Kayak trip maybe, rec trip no.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
Chip

Post by Chip »

Looks good Pat. You may want to make the "I's" to "WE's". It will sound more like the club than 1 person. Unless you want to do it all yourself? :wink:

It is a great idea. Hopefully, it will get the ball rolling.
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Chip wrote:You may want to make the "I's" to "WE's".

Quite right.
norm

Post by norm »

Pat - sounds like a great idea.

I wouldn't mind taking another try at establishing another regular weeknight paddle for recreational boaters this year, like I tried for a few Tuesday nights last year. Maybe planning out a few weeks worth of Tuesday night trips in advance might help (as Chris mentioned). I don't think I gave much notice last year, as I tried to wait for what the weather would bring.
Hans

Post by Hans »

I like the sound of this. I have a very hectic summer last year (baby,vacations, weddings,work,ect.) and I really only made it out three or four times last summer. My wife has promised that this year will be differant. I ended last summer with a couple of trips out to the Boston harbor islands, but I think I would like to start out this spring/early summer with a couple more laid back trips to get back into the swing of things. Also, due to a new work schedule I will finally be free for the thursday night hingham paddles. I would love some advice and/or directions on how to improve and speed up my self rescues. Who knows, maybe even try to complete a full roll by summers end. Count me in!

Jeff
Jeff
W.S. Tsunami 165
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

I'll volunteer to conduct some skills/safety sessions for those flatwater paddlers, at any local flatwater location that is desired by those who are interested.

That's assuming Hanson, Thursday or both are not convenient :shock:

Cheers,

Jordan
Todd

Post by Todd »

Great idea, the more paddlers we can get, the better. We have an abundance of water around us, we should be able to come up with multiple choices each weekend during the high season. Whether it is flatwater, whitewater, long touring, excursions, tell everyone what you are thinking and you might be surprised that your idea grows.
Carolina Perception 14.5
Wilderness Systems Tempest 170
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Since I've put up that page, we've already had three people sign up for the mailing list.

I'm going to try to "copy" this thread to the Recreational Forum. This may or may have disastrous results.
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Cool!

May the force be with you Pat :)
Chip

Post by Chip »

Looks great Pat. I think a next step is to decide what constitutes a recreational paddle. Maybe we leave it up to the trip organizer but we should make sure we don't put people in tough situations. We can take this discussion off line if need be.
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

I think there are different levels of recreational kayaking. Pretty much everything on flatwater or the North River would be rec, but some would be tougher than others. A nice easy level might be from the Hanover launch down to Washington Street and back, right around shifted high tide, or maybe circumnavigating Billington Sea. A step up from that might be Union Street to Hanover with the tide, or Driftway to Union Street and back with the tides.

There are lots of others. Up the Weymouth Back River - Powder Point Bridge up the Duxbury Back River, Humarock to Driftway behind Trounts Island, South River up and back, and of course, the various protected harbors.
Chip

Post by Chip »

I agree with all of your examples. I guess my concern is with the protected harbors. Where is that line drawn. Some may say that Nelson Beach to Long Beach over the Saquish, around Clarks and back to Nelson Beach is a rec paddle. I don't think it is but some may. Maybe Nelson Beach sraight out to Clarks is a second level recreational. Who is to say? Any fresh water and most local rivers are a no brainer but the ocean can be tricky. I may be over analyzing this but we have been burnt before.
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

No, I don't think that's over-analyzing. Some trips are as simple as "You need a boat, a paddle, a pfd, and a pulse. No other requirements." Others will require more - they must have done similar trips before, and/or have paddled with one of us and we can see that they're proficient enough.
Chip

Post by Chip »

This may require pizza and a beer to resolve. :lol:
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Yay! Some over-analysis! ;)
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

The Rec Pages looks great. I would suggest replacing the photos with recreation paddles pictures that show everyone wearing a PFD.

I can't think of a flatwater-recreation paddle destination - venue where we wouldn't discourage their participation without having and wearing a PFD.

Just thought we should illustrate by example too.
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

kayakerjnj wrote:The Rec Pages looks great. I would suggest replacing the photos with recreation paddles pictures that show everyone wearing a PFD.

I don't have many of those. I think there's one trip I can find some.
Chip

Post by Chip »

Pat,
Check the Scortons Creek, Ipswich River and Back River photos. You should be able to find a couple from those trips.
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Thanks, but I've already updated the page with new photos.
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

pat wrote:Thanks, but I've already updated the page with new photos.

Yeah, thanks Steve! :x
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

kayakerjnj wrote:The Rec Pages looks great. I would suggest replacing the photos with recreation paddles pictures that show everyone wearing a PFD.

Very good suggestion Jordan and it was even received well. Nice Job!!!
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Everything looks great!

I suspect we'll have lot of interest in our group this year at the Kayak Expo.
ONLY 5 weeks away!

Have a great weekend all,

Jordan
H2O_Baby

Post by H2O_Baby »

Hi All. Your new page worked & then I signed up as a member too.

I am not a total novice but pretty close. My husband on the other hand - if i can get him involved too - is a total novice. We only have one kayak, it is a sit-on-top wave riding one I got cuz I love the ocean and didn't know anything about kayaks. It is hard for me to lift off the car alone so I haven't been going.

I was looking for people with whom I could go out on the water, and found you. Since I am in Scituate, I am in the middle of your area. Totally out of shape but will be working on that with you all.

Glad to find you and hope to meet soon.
Barb
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Welcome Aboard!

Try to attend the Kayak Expo in Norwell, on March 21st. We will have a booth there, and many of the club members and other area paddlers attend.

It's a fun day.

Cheers,

Jordan
H2O_Baby

Post by H2O_Baby »

Thanks Jordan. Where in Norwell is the kayak expedition? or is it exposition?

Thanks again.
Barb
Ron

Post by Ron »

Barb,

Here is a link to thier site: http://www.nsrwakayakexpo.org/
Image P&H Cetus HV
turtle

future trips

Post by turtle »

New to your group. Have a tsunami 145 that I use in Duxbury/Marshfield area and several ponds and lakes. Mostly go solo as I don't know many that kayak. Also attempt to fly fish both fresh and salt water in kayak,but so far no luck. But like they say a bad day fishing (or kayaking) is better than a day at work. Would like to join in on the trips and such. Thanks.
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Hi Turtle - welcome to the group!

In case you haven't seen, we've got a recreational trip coming up next weekend on the North River in the Upcoming Trips section.
audreyb

rec kayaking trips

Post by audreyb »

so is there now a new rec kayaking trip list? I would like to be added to the list - most of my time and interest is toward the shorter trip, not necessarily that shorter trip = easier trip....I didn't get out much in '08 and am looking forward to more paddling in '09. When is the next Th Hingham Harbor paddle?
born to kayak-forced to work
Impex Montauk
Impex Montauk -kevlar (yellow/red/white)
pat
Site Admin

Re: rec kayaking trips

Post by pat »

audreyb wrote:so is there now a new rec kayaking trip list? I would like to be added to the list

http://www.wtpaddlers.org/rec.html

When is the next Th Hingham Harbor paddle?

Probably the next time it doesn't rain on Thursday. August, maybe?