Hingham/Hull today 18May2008?

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

cgr

Hingham/Hull today 18May2008?

Post by cgr »

It's 10:30 now and I want to paddle... I'm thinking of launching from Windmill pt and at least heading around Peddocks.

Short notice but if anyone else is interested in heading out I'll try to launch by 12.
Birdseye

Re: Hingham/Hull today 18May2008?

Post by Birdseye »

cgr wrote:It's 10:30 now and I want to paddle... I'm thinking of launching from Windmill pt and at least heading around Peddocks.

Short notice but if anyone else is interested in heading out I'll try to launch by 12.

Hey Chris,
I saw you on the road today heading towards the water. Hope you had a good paddle.
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
cgr

Re: Hingham/Hull today 18May2008?

Post by cgr »

Birdseye wrote:Hey Chris,
I saw you on the road today heading towards the water. Hope you had a good paddle.

I did have a good paddle. I launched from Windmill and crossed over to Peddocks and then out the gut. The current didn't seem to bad until you got close to some of the shallow rocks. Circled around Peddocks, my plan was to be on the windward side going out and on the lee side of the island on my way back. M

My plan backfired because the wind switched around to the south by the time I got to the Quincy end of the island.

Do you know that if you are lined up just right at the end of Peddocks that the Goliath crane at the shipyard looks like an extra large Wickerman?

The Patriot Ledger says that the crane at the shipyard is going to be taken down over the next month or two and moved to a shipyard in Romania(I thought they just made gymnasts there?)
Mark

Post by Mark »

Hey Chris - Didn't see your post this morning, but Kate and I thought it was too nice a day not to paddle, too. I knew the wind was supposed to switch around into the south, so we opted for a one-way trip from the Powder Point bridge in Duxbury up to my house. Big dumping surf to launch through at the put-in (I had to pump out after getting through, as I never got my sprayskirt attached in time when launching), We tooled around Green Harbor and had lunch on the beach in the sunshine. Then up around Brant Rock, catching a few short rides toward the beach on the swells coming in. Only a bit over five miles, but a nice paddle to round out the weekend.

Mark
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Mark wrote:Hey Chris - Didn't see your post this morning, but Kate and I thought it was too nice a day not to paddle, too. I knew the wind was supposed to switch around into the south, so we opted for a one-way trip from the Powder Point bridge in Duxbury up to my house. Big dumping surf to launch through at the put-in (I had to pump out after getting through, as I never got my sprayskirt attached in time when launching), We tooled around Green Harbor and had lunch on the beach in the sunshine. Then up around Brant Rock, catching a few short rides toward the beach on the swells coming in. Only a bit over five miles, but a nice paddle to round out the weekend.

Mark

I saw you guys heading out too. So you had dumping surf at Powder Point? That's hard to imagine?
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
Mark

Post by Mark »

Birdseye wrote:
I saw you guys heading out too. So you had dumping surf at Powder Point? That's hard to imagine?

On the inside in the bay, yes. On the outside, not hard to imagine at all. It's a steep beach with exposure to east swell.