Cohasset - gulf Fri after work?

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

cgr

Cohasset - gulf Fri after work?

Post by cgr »

High tide is at 8:05 on Fri. Looking to practice eddies & ferries( rolling practice for me).

Mark - how long past high tide does water usually flow in?(twilight is at 8:42 on Friday)
Mark

I'm There!

Post by Mark »

Chris: Plan to put in around 5:00 if you want to catch the beginning of the flood. It's a 9.5' tide, so I would expect the flood to continue for about 1/2 hour after official high tide. That doesn't mean you couldn't get out sooner if you were in a longboat. i.e - you could definitely get out before dark if opting for a sunset paddle up into the Gulf. The fish might be biting then, so maybe I would hop in the Explorer after playing the wave and fish the Gulf at sunset. Sounds pretty good, actually!

I may be hitting Cohasset on Thursday as well, hopefully with Jason. That would be around 4PM, so possible to do a double session of Cohasset Wave at 4 and WTP Thursday night paddle at six. Assuming it is NOT Bumpkin Island again and not too far from Cohasset.

Mark
Mark

Post by Mark »

Chris - I don't think I will make it tomorrow after all. I'm doing this tonight instead.

Mark
cgr

Post by cgr »

Thanks Mark - I will probably go to Hingham tonight and try Cohasset tomorrow. A paddle into the gulf at dusk sounds nice.

Good luck if you're fishing!
wildwoman

Post by wildwoman »

Hi Chris,

Four Turkeys went out in Cohasset Harbor yesterday...it was stunningly beautiful.

I put in at Parker Street at about 4pm after meeting Kate in the Bannister Hall pkg lot. When I paddled across to the Gulf, I saw Jason pitch from a low dock, bounce into the air and make a beautiful entry into the water. Mark and Kate were already on the wave, paddling furuiously to stay in place, Kate doing glissandes across the wave, and Mark executing graceful sweeps across the eddies.

After a wave (!) To the Whitewaters I took off across the harbor toward the lighthouse. I was so fast and tireless, really, I paddled to France, where I had a glass of marvelous Beaujoulais with brie. When I returned, Jason, Kate, and Mark were right where I left them!

In IronMan fashion Mark, Kate and Jason changed equipment and clothes. We grouped up in an area the size of an acre (there must be a nautical term for this) and traversed to open ocean as a large pod. Little Harbor was the destination. Kate and I went out to see the roosts and rooks and although we had some wind offshore we had no surprises. Mark and Jason had switched to sea kayaks, so large swells were not a problem.

Into Little Harbor like water flowing down a drain. We battled the wave there a bit and passed back through roughly 1 1/2 hours after high tide. The ride back was surreal in orange light that made harbour boulders giant soft sleeping dogs.

We returned in water that barely rippled, no swell, just gulls and a jungle of blooming wisteria you could smell across the cove

Have a great trip
Barb
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Sounds like a good time. Thanks for the report.
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
Chip

Post by Chip »

Nice imagery Barb. Sounds like a good afternoon/evening.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
KEN H.(KAYAK KEN)

Post by KEN H.(KAYAK KEN) »

Thanks Barb, I will also soon paddle to France to get some brie. I will then saddle up my enchanted flying squirrel and fly to Belgium to purchase a waffle.
What I'm trying to say is I too would like to paddle Cohasset soon. Glad you guys had a great paddle! Ken