Recreational: North River - May 30

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

pat
Site Admin

Recreational: North River - May 30

Post by pat »

First rec trip of the year! Here are the details...

Ocean high tide is 5:18. We put in at the Driftway Launch at 4pm, paddle up to Union Street, rest for a few and paddle back. We'l be paddling with the current in both directions. Total trip length - 10 miles.

However... Those who don't know if they're up for a 10 mile trip right off the bat could opt to shuttle your car up to the Marshfield launch at Union Street and end the trip there.

This is NOT a "show & go" trip. If you're planning on coming, reply to this thread. If you're planning on bringing friends, mention that as well! I don't want to arrive expecting a dozen people and discover that there are thirty.

I recommend we meet at the Driftway launch fairly early. With so many new people, there will be a lot of introductions, but the tide (and sunset) don't care about that and will proceed without us. If you think you'd like to shuttle your car up to Union Street, you might want to get there even earlier, like 3:15 or so.

If you haven't yet, please check out the recreational paddling page:
http://www.wtpaddlers.org/rec.html

The most important thing to take away from that page is that you MUST bring your own kayak, paddle and PFD (life vest)! Since we'll be paddling through the dinner hour, it might not be a bad idea to bring something to eat for when we get to Union Street. After the trip, perhaps those of us who are interested could go someplace for PPR (Post Paddle Refreshment) someplace, although at 8pm on a Saturday night, I don't know that there will be many places that can take a crowd. If anyone has any suggestions...

Here's a map showing where the Driftway launch is:

<iframe width="640" height="480" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=116786589306759442738.0004691d26e322c51babd&ll=42.169129,-70.754013&spn=0.06107,0.109863&z=13&output=embed"></iframe>
Chip

Post by Chip »

I'm in. I haven't been down that way in a while.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
Ron

Post by Ron »

Count me in.
Image P&H Cetus HV
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Thanks, guys.

If any of the other regulars want to go on this trip to help out, it'd be much appreciated.
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Hi Pat.

Our daughter Becky is graduating from Marshfield High that day (ceremony starting at 2:00 pm). Otherwise I would have loved to join you. The Spit is one of my favorite places, and the place should be "hoppin'" if the weather is good.

Plan to catch you on other paddles this summer...........

NorwayLady
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
lora925

Post by lora925 »

Hi Pat,

I'm planning on coming and am very much looking forward to it. I hope to be in a lighter faster boat by then but my other half has agreed to help me load and unload my tank for this trip if I don't find something before then (fingers crossed).

-Lora
jdsm

Post by jdsm »

Hello Pat,

Cheryle and I would like to join all of you for this trip.
This will be our first rec. trip with the group.
Look forward to meeting and paddling with all who attend.

John
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Excellent! Looking forward to meeting you all.
Jack Z

Post by Jack Z »

I'd like to join in....
bevbarnard

Post by bevbarnard »

I am in, and this will also be my first rec trip. Looking forward to it. Cheers, Bev.
Bev Barnard
Cell: 617 460 5210
Epic 18x
Current Designs Extreme HV
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Hi Bev.

Glad to hear you are joining the Wild Turkeys on this trip. I think you will enjoy it. Most of the paddling will be on the rivers, but as you reach the Spit (after about one mile), you will be on the inside of the Atlantic ocean, and you will see sand dunes and feel the salty breeze of the sea. Maybe you'll have time to get out of your boats and explore the Spit and the new inlet. If not, come back some other time. With your background in ocean sailing, you should feel right at home.

Did you do the river race today?

NorwayLady.
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Bummer... I'm booked to a fashion show that evening.
Chip

Post by Chip »

getnoutside wrote:Bummer... I'm booked to a fashion show that evening.

Whose line of clothing will you be wearing? :lol:
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Choosing fashion over kayaking? You do understand that this costs you 25 "man points", right?
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

You know.... as soon as I hit "submit" for that post I regreted it :)

Pat, if hanging out with 20+ models makes me less of a man than call me Sally!!!
cgr

Post by cgr »

getnoutside wrote:You know.... as soon as I hit "submit" for that post I regreted it :)

Pat, if hanging out with 20+ models makes me less of a man than call me Sally!!!

kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

You'll be in great company Sally :lol:
H2O_Baby

Post by H2O_Baby »

Although the fashion show seems enticing, I would like to join the paddlers. How does the ferrying back & forth work?

I have a wave kayak, a sit on top, so hope that doesn't matter. We only have one kayak so my husband can't come. Will we organize groups or buddies for safety?

I look forward to meeting you!
Barb
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

H2O_Baby wrote:How does the ferrying back & forth work?

Once we get a quorum at the Driftway launch, those that will be taking out at Union Street (plus one other car) will drive to the Union Street launch, park there and ride back to Driftway.
Gary

Union St Bridge

Post by Gary »

I belive the Union St Bridge is closed and the regular access is from the Marshfield side. I think there is a ramp on the Norwell side but no parking??
If you have better info kick it in

Gary
W.S. Cape Horn 17 Pro
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

There shouldn't be any need to use the Union Street bridge. We'll just go up 3A to Spring Street, through North Marshfield to the canoe launch.
rain

saturday trip may 30

Post by rain »

hi,

plan on joining the wt paddlers on saturday 5/30 - one way to union street bridge.

look forward to saturday and another season.

rain
turtle

Sat. North River

Post by turtle »

New to group. Planning on being there on sat. Weather tonight shows possible thundershowers late sat afternoon or early evening. When do you guys decide go or no go? I won't know till friday afternoon if a friend will be with me or not, will it be too late to add him on then? Thanks

Don
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

I plan on being there regardless. We may have to call an audible at the last minute. Fortunately, there are many options. We can make the run up to Union Street and take out there if things are threatening, or if it's looking questionable from the get-go, maybe just paddle out to the spit or Damon's Point and back.

And if worse comes to worse, we stand around in the parking lot, introduce ourselves and talk about where we might want to paddle on the next trip.
turtle

north river

Post by turtle »

Looking forward to tommorrow, my friend won't be coming this time. Is it a bad omen that my wife increased my insurance? See you then
bevbarnard

Tomorrow!

Post by bevbarnard »

I am coming whatever and looking forward to meeting more of the group. Thunderstorms are more likely up north and west tomorrow so hopefully we get a nice afternoon and get the whole trip in!

See you there.

Bev.
Bev Barnard
Epic 18x
lora925

Post by lora925 »

Thanks for a great trip! I had a good time and it was nice to meet so many new people and reconnect with those I've met in the past. I am looking forward to the next adventure already, where ever that may be. - Lora :)
Jack Z

Post by Jack Z »

Ditto here! Glad we did it yesterday with perfect conditions. The winds here in Scituate today would have been a bit more of a challenge!

Sorry I couldn't hang out a little longer after the paddle - I was racing home to shower, change and meet wife and kids for 8 PM dinner!

Looking forward to next trip...

Jack Z.
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Trust us, Jack - none of us could withstand the bugs for very long. We were gone about five minutes after you.
Jack Z

Post by Jack Z »

I promise - They weren't my bugs!!!
bevbarnard

Post by bevbarnard »

Pat, thanks for planning a great trip. Perfect weather, tides, etc. This was my first recreational trip as a new member and you sure set the bar high! Great to meet everyone, and I am looking forward to the next one. Whe I figure out how to put pictures up I will!

See you at the next trip.

Cheers,

Bev.
Bev Barnard
Epic 18x
turtle

Post by turtle »

Ditto on all the above. My first time with the group also. It was fun meetimg new people with the same interests as I. Anxiously awaiting the next trip. My work schedule is very flexable so if anyone gets the urge to paddle and want some company, contact me.
rnflamingo

Post by rnflamingo »

Unfortunately it was my weekend "on" at the hospital...... would have loved to join you. Anyone take any pictures??

Joyce
bevbarnard

Post by bevbarnard »

Rain posted some pictures earlier in this message string, and I will put some up when I can.

Cheers,

Bev.
Bev Barnard
Epic 18x
jdsm

Post by jdsm »

Cheryle and I enjoyed paddling with the group and look forward to more rec. trips. :D

John