July 17th - Pamet River, Truro?

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

craigmsherman

July 17th - Pamet River, Truro?

Post by craigmsherman »

Hi everyone,

Well I had my first trip with the Turkeys this weekend and it was great, so I am proposing another one now. Anyone care to join me (and possibly my girlfriend) for a paddle on the Pamet River in Truro on July 17th?

It's not a particularly challenging river - just one of those lazy salt marsh tidal rivers you find on Cape Cod. My girlfriend is a beginner, so we're not trying to raise the adrenaline too much. I'm thinking we set off from the Truro Post Office around 9am, catch low tide at the harbor on the Bay around 10:30 or 10:45, hang out at the beach for a little while for a snack break, and then return up the river at some point thereafter with the incoming tide, and maybe even hop over to the other side of the Pamet from Rt. 6 towards the ocean side. I will read a little more into the tides...maybe make some adjustments on the put-in time if necessary.

http://www.mass.gov/dep/water/resources ... _mor_2.htm

Let me know if you're interested!

Craig

Craig Sherman
Old Town Voyager 11' 1"
But mine's green.
pat
Site Admin

Re: July 17th - Pamet River, Truro?

Post by pat »

Craig, I've been dying for someone else to post a recreational trip. You're my new best friend. ;)

I'm not positive I can make it for the trip, but I'll do whatever I can to help you with any of the organizational aspects. I have a recreational mailing list that I can alert about your trip, but the list is a bit sizable, and you might wind up with over 20 people, so I'll leave that decision up to you.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
craigmsherman

Post by craigmsherman »

pat wrote:Craig, I've been dying for someone else to post a recreational trip. You're my new best friend. ;)

I'm not positive I can make it for the trip, but I'll do whatever I can to help you with any of the organizational aspects. I have a recreational mailing list that I can alert about your trip, but the list is a bit sizable, and you might wind up with over 20 people, so I'll leave that decision up to you.

Hi Pat,

A new friend! That's great! Thanks for dropping a line here. Let me think about what kind of help I might need. I appreciate your offering. The tricky thing about the Pamet, as you may know, is the parking. I figured if I got 3 to 5 people to join, that would be great. My trip on the Charles this past weekend attracted just 2 other people, which was perfectly as good as getting 15 people for my tastes, so I am anticipating maybe just a few takers here too. Plus, Truro is a far ride for those not already on the Cape. So who knows...but let's pool our thoughts here and figure out how you can help get a few people to the Pamet and maybe how I can help you develop the recreational paddles a bit?

I look forward to hearing back from you!

Craig

Craig Sherman
Old Town Voyager 11' 1"
But mine's green.
jdsm

Post by jdsm »

Hello Craig,

Nice rec trip you have posted.
My wife and I have kayaked the Pamet many times.

I do have a suggestion for you, we like to ride with the in coming tide from the Pamet harbor boat ramp down to the post office where the river dead ends,
then ride the out going tide back to the Pamet boat ramp where there is plenty of parking. The boat ramp does charge for launching your kayak there,
but you have safe place for your vehicle and use of a toilet before or after the trip !
Timing of the tides is everything for a nice lazy paddle.

John
John + Cheryle
craigmsherman

Post by craigmsherman »

jdsm wrote:Hello Craig,

Nice rec trip you have posted.
My wife and I have kayaked the Pamet many times.

I do have a suggestion for you, we like to ride with the in coming tide from the Pamet harbor boat ramp down to the post office where the river dead ends,
then ride the out going tide back to the Pamet boat ramp where there is plenty of parking. The boat ramp does charge for launching your kayak there,
but you have safe place for your vehicle and use of a toilet before or after the trip !
Timing of the tides is everything for a nice lazy paddle.

John

Hi John,

Thanks for the tip. I know that there is more parking and facilities down by the harbor. That is something I might be open to. I figured that I would suggest the post office area to start because it would give us an opportunity to ride the last of low tide out to the harbor and then ride the incoming tide back to the cars...also it would give us an easier option of putting in on the freshwater side instead, if that looked better to people. But certainly I understand the value of having facilities handy. Pat and I are emailing with some ideas about this trip as well...I would say by July 17 the details will be well solidified for what makes the most sense.

Do you think you might want to come along?

Craig

Craig Sherman
Old Town Voyager 11' 1"
But mine's green.
jdsm

Post by jdsm »

Hi Craig,

A low tide paddle at the Pamet is not my cup of tea, so I will have to pass.

Good luck with your trip planning.

John
John + Cheryle
craigmsherman

Post by craigmsherman »

jdsm wrote:Hi Craig,

A low tide paddle at the Pamet is not my cup of tea, so I will have to pass.

Good luck with your trip planning.

John

Hi John,

Ok, so, how bad does the Pamet get at low tide? I had read in one book that you could launch any time, didn't need to coordinate with he tides because it wasn't the kind of place where you'd get swept out during low tide....is it too low to paddle at low tide or is it just not as much fun? I'll admit to a certain ignorance, having never paddled there before.

Also, if you did go from the harbor to the dead end, is it worth portaging over the the culvert on the other side of Rt. 6 to continue on?

Craig

Craig Sherman
Old Town Voyager 11' 1"
But mine's green.
jdsm

Post by jdsm »

Hi Craig,

Low tide is pretty low,put it this way,you won't have to worry about fishing or pleasure boats that day,most
can't make it into or out of the harbor anywhere near low tide!
A kayak can make it threw, but some portage where the river meets the harbor might be needed.
Where the river dead ends at the post office I have never seen a good place to put in or take out.
The other side of the road the river gets even more narrower. Never seen anybody on that side paddling.

Cheryle and I have taken off from the Pamet harbor parking lot, threw the outlet, and into the bay for a paddle and a nice day at the beach at low tide.
Plenty of beach to the right and left. You could paddle till your arms fall off in the bay !
As with any inlets /outlets be cautious of the currents. The Pamet is no exception ! You could
portage around and into the bay if needed.

Hope this helps.

John
John + Cheryle
John

Post by John »

a little more to what john said. I would not put in at the JAMS parking lot either. Not very user friendly, poison ivy, muckish water, and green flies dont make for a great start. parking at the harbor is $6 per person (not car). Get there for an early morning paddle (before 10:00), and its FREE. Best time to paddle is 2 hours before and after high tide. You can make your way at low tide, but i believe July 17th there is an exceptionally low tide which will make more bottoming out. Paddling against tide is doable, but you will work a little harder. Bugs haven't been too bad but i did her my wife curse at a few green flies. Crabs in the mud banks during the outgoing tide are very cool. The pamet on the other side of route 6 (towards the ocean) is also paddle-able with a shorter kayak. Its a very nice winding stretch of river. Watch for poison ivy. Park on the left side of the on-ramp to route 6 . Hope this helps some.

cheers
john 2
Purple Valley Avocet, WS Project 62 , WestSide Boat Exceed, and many more to come.
craigmsherman

Post by craigmsherman »

Ok, I'm decided. You all helped convince me. For those who are interested, let's meet at the Pamet Harbor parking lot at about 2:15pm with the goal of putting into the river at about 2:30/2:45. Ride inland till the dead end and back out again. Then, for those who wish to continue to to the culvert, we can try that out, being weary of the poison ivy and narrow paddling area.

I did talk to a woman as she pulled her kayak off the culvert and said she had a nice time, she saw a bunch of river otters. So I would be open to that after the harbor part of the trip.

Craig Sherman
Old Town Voyager 11' 1"
But mine's green.
Jan Seery

Post by Jan Seery »

I have an appointment in Fairhaven at 12:30. If by some miracle I can make it out in time to get to Truro (doubtful?) I will be thrilled to join you all. Thanks!
/jms
Wilderness Systems Pungo 120

craigmsherman

Post by craigmsherman »

Jan Seery wrote:I have an appointment in Fairhaven at 12:30. If by some miracle I can make it out in time to get to Truro (doubtful?) I will be thrilled to join you all. Thanks!

Hi Jan,

That would be great. Let me know. I'll send you a private message with some contact info.

Thanks,

Craig

Craig Sherman
Old Town Voyager 11' 1"
But mine's green.
csbrown

Post by csbrown »

Hi Craig,

Not sure if we will be able to make it, that is a pretty long haul on short notice. I'll have to check my boy's schedules (15 + 19). BTW: I live two towns over from you (Norwood). If you are ever looking for someone to go on a local paddle, I am always up for it. My email address is csbrown@csbrown.com

Warmest Regards,

Craig
craigmsherman

Post by craigmsherman »

csbrown wrote:Hi Craig,

Not sure if we will be able to make it, that is a pretty long haul on short notice. I'll have to check my boy's schedules (15 + 19). BTW: I live two towns over from you (Norwood). If you are ever looking for someone to go on a local paddle, I am always up for it. My email address is csbrown@csbrown.com

Warmest Regards,

Craig

Hi Craig,

That's great, just let me know. I'll send you a PM with my cell #. I am definitely looking for local paddling buddies!!! This is great news!

Thanks,

Craig

Craig Sherman
Old Town Voyager 11' 1"
But mine's green.
pe4927

Post by pe4927 »

Craig, I'd like to join on that paddle if I could. will be out giving my new kayak her maiden voyage on friday.

Anyone have any experience with the wilderness systems pamlico series? seems like a nice flat bottom kayak good for rivers and shallow water runs it seems.
Marc
craigmsherman

Post by craigmsherman »

pe4927 wrote:Craig, I'd like to join on that paddle if I could. will be out giving my new kayak her maiden voyage on friday.

Anyone have any experience with the wilderness systems pamlico series? seems like a nice flat bottom kayak good for rivers and shallow water runs it seems.
Marc

Hi Marc,

That sounds good to me. The plan is to meet at the Pamet Harbor parking lot at about 2:15pm with the goal of putting into the river at about 2:30. Hopefully parking won't be an issue. See you then.

Craig

Craig Sherman
Old Town Voyager 11' 1"
But mine's green.
Brent

Post by Brent »

I'd like to come along. 1:30, Sat. Pray to the parking gods. Brent
craigmsherman

Post by craigmsherman »

Brent wrote:I'd like to come along. 1:30, Sat. Pray to the parking gods. Brent

Hi Brent,

Sounds good. I sent you a PM but, 15 hours later it appears to still be queuing to actually be sent.

I am planning on getting to the parking lot at Pamet Harbor at about 1:45 or 2:00pm. Green kayak on a black jeep. My cell phone is seven eight one six four zero twenty-two forty-one.

See you then!

Craig

Craig Sherman
Old Town Voyager 11' 1"
But mine's green.
johnboy

Post by johnboy »

Hi Craig, I am sorry, but i can make Truro. It such a long trip
I have always wanted to paddle the slow beginning part of the
Charles river. It''s up around your area, closer to Newton I think. I am in Quincy. I am a strong
paddler and get out a few times a week. could you or anyone let me know if
their interested? We would need someone who knows the
area. Even Perhaps a couple of hours an evening during the week?
I am available any time except July 24th and the night before
i am kayaking the Merrimack River in N.H. Please would anyone reply.
I have to go, tides up. Thanks again
Johnboy
Johnnyboy