Transitional trip - Hingham Harbor Island Hop - July 9

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

pat
Site Admin

Transitional trip - Hingham Harbor Island Hop - July 9

Post by pat »

On Friday, July 9, I’ll be leading a transitional trip out of Hingham Harbor and stopping at a few of the islands. This is a weekday, so we’re looking for people who are on vacation or can take a Friday off and get a long weekend out of the deal.

What is a “transitional trip”? The short answer is that it’s geared toward recreational paddlers that don’t yet feel comfortable enough to take on a serious ocean paddle, but would like to advance beyond flatwater lakes and rivers.

You should have something beyond a basic recreational boat – 12’ minimum, and a sprayskirt. In the heart of the summer, the waters tend to be fairly flat, but you just never know, and out in the harbor, there will be power boats kicking up some surf that could break over your bow.

As a paddler, you should feel confident that you can paddle eight miles, which is where I’d ballpark this trip. It won’t be a solid eight-mile run. I plan on stopping at two of the islands for 20-30 minutes to allow people to stretch their legs, have a snack and do some exploring. But you should have decent stamina. This really isn’t the sort of trip for you if you have little or no experience paddling with a group. I don’t want to scare people away, but I’d prefer that as opposed to giving false confidence to someone who is going to run out of gas after five miles.

The plan is to arrive at the parking lot at the harbor by 7:30 and launch at 8:00. High tide is approximately 10:00. We’ll paddle past the inner islands, up along Worlds End, cut past one of Nantasket’s mini-peninsulas, and stop at Bumpkin Island. From Bumpkin, we’ll head west, cross the shipping channel, swing around Sheep Island, and on to the south side of Grape Island for our second stop, and then back to the launch site. I’d guess this will take about five hours, give or take, depending on how long people want to play on the islands. This is something of an extended version of our bi-weekly Thursday Night Paddle.

Image Image Image Image

Early in July, I’m expecting the water to still be cold, but not dangerous. So I don’t think a wet suit is required (although I’ll leave that up to you), but some previous rescue skills would be nice. There will actually be one in Hanson, conveniently scheduled the night before this trip.

I know that there are a lot of high-end paddlers in the group that look for any excuse to get out there, so if you’d like to join us, you might want to form a separate “faster” group. Or maybe we can just attach drift chutes to all your boats. ;)

I’m limiting this trip to 10 paddlers, plus any of the regular WTP skilled paddlers that want to volunteer to help me on this trip. A larger group could be problematic, especially crossing the shipping channel.

To sign up for this trip, please reply in this thread and let me know if you’re going and if you’re bringing anyone.

Directions to the launch site can be found on this page

Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
pat
Site Admin

Re: Transitional trip - Hingham Harbor Island Hop - July 9

Post by pat »

I'll be going over a couple of things at the launch site, but there's one point that I want to emphasize very clearly...

Once out on the water, we must stay together as a group. I'm not saying that everyone must be so close that you're bumping into each other, but things have to stay manageable.

There are several reasons for this. In the outer harbor, a single kayak can be difficult to spot by a powerboater. A group of kayaks is far more visible. A group has a better chance of showing up on a boat's radar than a single kayak.

There will be a couple of points where we have to cross the shipping channel, and this should be coordinated by trip leaders with experience in this, and everyone should be within earshot of them when they tell you go GO!

If a group gets too spread out and there is a problem toward the back, it's very difficult to get word to the front of the pack to hold up.

So... If you're at or near the front of the group, DO NOT get past easy yelling distance of the nearest trip leader. When you're paddling with a group, some people will always be faster than others. If you're one of the faster paddlers, you've got to be willing to throttle your speed somewhat.

If you're at or near the back and find yourself lagging behind, try to pick up your pace a little or let the sweeping trip leader know and we can have an impromptu rest. Nothing wrong with that!
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
eddie

Post by eddie »

I would like to join you on this trip. First time with you guys , but I have been in this harbor before.

Ed
Chip

Post by Chip »

I am off that day. Count me in.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
Ron

Post by Ron »

I will join in the fun.
Image P&H Cetus HV
Finn McCool

Post by Finn McCool »

Assuming the calendar for that day remains clear, I will probably join you. Looks like fun.
Alla har rätt till min åsikt!
ddempesy

Post by ddempesy »

Count me in as well - July 9th ! Yippee !
Deb
Deb
Plymouth
Cetus LV - Turquoise over White
Patty

Post by Patty »

i have not been on a trip with your group yet -- but i have kayaked in the harbor. i am interested in joining you on that day & am looking forward to it!

Patty
rkhederian

Post by rkhederian »

I will be joining you. Looking forward to it, thanks for organizing.

Bob K.
Aquaholic

Post by Aquaholic »

Sounds like a great paddle! Count me in. .
Audrey
P&H Cetus LV
susanb

Post by susanb »

I will be there as well. Thanks.
norm

Post by norm »

Pat - I just read a trip report from an AMC Sea Kayaking group that went out to Peddocks Island on Wednesday, June 30. In the trip report, they say: "The Island seemed deserted but once on the beach we were confronted by a DCR park ranger who said the Island was off limits to visitors. He did allow us to have our lunch on the beach, but said we would have to leave right after."

I couldn't find any further information immediately, but you might want to look into it.
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Hi Norm,

Thanks for the info, unwelcome as it is. :(

I'll try to get further information on this, and perhaps re-route the trip.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Linda

Post by Linda »

I was on that 6/30 AMC paddle and enough pleasantry chatter went on between parties that we all had plenty of time to have lunch and rehydrate.
They DEFINITELY DO NOT WANT ANY ISLAND EXPLORATION GOING ON, though.
Looks like a nice mix of experienced sea kayakers and step up paddlers. What a
Great Plan!
Linda!
Still Mind, Relaxed Breath, Pure Attention...
Paddling is Great Therapy!
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Does this mean you'll be joining us, Linda?
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
chpaton

Post by chpaton »

Looks like you might need to avoid the rangers if you want to do a little exploring. If so land on the beach in Portuguese Cove and follow the trail into the back side of Ft Andrews. From what I've seen the DCR rangers don't stray too far from the Vistor's Center and the Parade ground area.

Could be they didn't want any exploration because they hadn't finished boarding up everything for the season yet (off season tresspassing seems to take a toll on the barriers every year.)
Craig
Hurricane A/S Tracer Yellow/White
Heritage Shearwater - Red/White
Heritage Tandem - Mango
norm

Post by norm »

From the banner notice on this web page, it looks like they are going to keep the island closed for two years. No real explanation of what construction they are closing it for.

http://www.bostonharborislands.com/peddocks
Finn McCool

Post by Finn McCool »

I'll have to bail out on this trip. My son Geoff is coming home early from his trip (from Nicaragua -- but I think its hotter here. :lol: ) late on Thursday night and we'll have things to do on Friday.

I've been getting out a lot...so I don't feel too bad about this. Sort of. :?

Have a great time!
Alla har rätt till min åsikt!
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Well, since all evidence is showing that Peddocks is not very visitor friendly, I'm going to alter the route and simply go from Bumpkin, around Sheep, and straight to Grape Island (see altered map above). This will bring the trip down to about 8 miles with only two stops.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Chip

Post by Chip »

If you want to keep the distance you can go over towards spinnaker and land at the beach near the high school.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hi Pat

Thanks for the time and effort in this trip. my schedule has changed so i can come out and play. See you there at 7:30 AM

Gary
W.S. Cape Horn 17 Pro
johnboy

Post by johnboy »

Hi, I live in Hough's Neck and Paddocks has been a real
hurt on the people who had property out there. I gave up
playing in this harbor a long time ago, so it's a pass for me.
good luck and have fun.
Johnnyboy
chpaton

Post by chpaton »

pat wrote:Well, since all evidence is showing that Peddocks is not very visitor friendly,

Why don't you just land for your pit stop further down the beach, away from the Visitor's Center Dock and the long arm of the Law? There is plenty of nice beach to land on for a break and a snack near the remaining cottages. I'm sure it's just the Ft. Andrews ruins that are off limits. You should be fine if you avoid that area.
Craig
Hurricane A/S Tracer Yellow/White
Heritage Shearwater - Red/White
Heritage Tandem - Mango
susanb

Post by susanb »

I will be unable to make the trip tomorrow morning. Looks like a nice day. Have fun out there.