WW: Cohasset Wave Monday July 5th 3pm (newbie friendly)

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

lora925

WW: Cohasset Wave Monday July 5th 3pm (newbie friendly)

Post by lora925 »

High tide is at 6:34pm. So we want to plan to launch by 3:15pm or so as Mark noted the other day that the slack time (I think that is what it's called) is occurring 10 to 15 minutes earlier than the usual 3 hours before high tide.

Trip report from Sunday July 4th's session to wet your whistles:

We were all delayed by Hingham's July 4th parade so we arrived later than intended. Kayak Widow and I arrived first and I took a quick peek at the play spot and noted that all was calm and so I knew it was time to go, for me anyway ;) I knew Mark and Kate would be there soon so I elected to solo seal launch and head over. In my haste to get on the water I forgot my water so I paddled over to the spot where my chauffeur was parking the truck and had her toss my water bottle down to me. By the time I did this, the water had already reversed direction.

I got busy practicing peel ins and peel outs while the current was still moving slow. I then tried paddling in place for a while, then I tried a little bit of ferrying and really just started to get the feel of my new ride. Mark and Kate soon arrived and helped me get acclimated to the new (to me) location. Mark was quick to point out that if I wanted to surf today, now would be the time to do it (before the current got much stronger). Alas, I was not as brave as I thought I would be, and when it came time to actually do it, I was not ready to give it a try.

Kate saw this and helped formulate a new game plan for me today. She basically held my hand while I took my first Cohasset Wave baby steps ;) For the rest of the afternoon, I played follow the leader while Kate took me through more peel in and peel outs, eddy turns, ferrying, bracing, and rolling all while the current strength was building. I was very happy and content to focus my attention on getting comfortable in my new boat and on skill building today, knowing the wave will be there again tomorrow :) Norm and Norway Lady, I think you both would have enjoyed today's session! Thanks to Kate, I had my very own mini-clinic today.

Norm, I'm twisting your arm... please come play with us tomorrow if you can :) Mark and NK have agreed to meet me there again and CGR said he would stop by if he get's home from Maine in time. I doubt I will be ready to give the Wave a try again but I'm sure having fun building my confidence level one step at a time and I'm eager to share the drills I learned from last Saturday's morning mini-clinic with you while they are fresh. It really is a nice newbie friendly place to try everything (not just surfing).

THANKS MARK AND NK! See you tomorrow (HUGE GRINS).
Last edited by lora925 on Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
crayolabarb

Re: WW: Cohasset Wave Monday July 5th 3pm (newbie friendly)

Post by crayolabarb »

Hi Lora!

Where are you launching from at 3:15?

Sure sounds like great learning and wicked fun!

Barb
Avocet LV Orange/White
Cetus LV Black/White w Red trim
Tempest 16.5 Red Roto
noseykate

Post by noseykate »

I had a wonderful time experiencing Cohasset from the viewpoint of a newbie! It was a great refresher for me to focus on eddy turns and ferries, and I got a real kick out of how quickly Lora ramped up her confidence level and her skills.

Norm, Barb, come on out! Jordan - I know you have a ww boat - why not come too? Anyone else? The water's warming up, it's a gentle wave today, and you'll have good company with Lora. We'd love to see you out there!

NK
Mark

Post by Mark »

The water is indeed warm. I was in just bathing trunks and a polypro short sleeve shirt and was VERY wet and VERY refreshed. We'll be back this afternoon! Post-paddle BBQs on the harbor are a really good time, too. Anybody got a grill? :wink:
lora925

Post by lora925 »

crayolabarb wrote:Hi Lora!

Where are you launching from at 3:15?

Sure sounds like great learning and wicked fun!

Barb

Sorry I forgot to include that. Everything you need to know about this location including directions is online at:
http://americanwhitewater.org/content/R ... il/id/683/

We will be in white water boats today. Hope to see you there :)
cgr

Post by cgr »

I am expecting to join you guys this afternoon.
norm

Post by norm »

I might try to make it today if I have the energy. My vacation plans for next week flip-flopped again so I have arrangements to make and things to organize.
crayolabarb

Post by crayolabarb »

I don't have a ww boat. so, if I come I guess I'll just hang and play around outside. Watch and learn! My boat has been on my car for over a week just looking for a place and opportunity to get wet. The Sudbury river is unbelievably shallow now- chocked with weeds.
I'll hope to see you guys!

Barb
Avocet LV Orange/White
Tempest 16.5 Red Roto
lora925

Post by lora925 »

The Gulf River is a nice location to paddle too. We will be where it meets the ocean in Cohasset Harbor. You could play at the inlet with us for a while in your long boat and then paddle around the river. Though you would likely want to find a put-in and take-out the river side unless you want to paddle back there until the river starts to flow back out towards the ocean again :) I know there are a couple spots back there to launch from, one is by a bridge. I'll poke around the internet for a bit and see if I can find more information for you.
Johnysmoke

Post by Johnysmoke »

Wish I could make it but I have to work. Have tues and weds off if anyone is inerested in hitting the wave one or both of those days...
lora925

Post by lora925 »

lora925 wrote:The Gulf River is a nice location to paddle too. We will be where it meets the ocean in Cohasset Harbor. You could play at the inlet with us for a while in your long boat and then paddle around the river. Though you would likely want to find a put-in and take-out the river side unless you want to paddle back there until the river starts to flow back out towards the ocean again :) I know there are a couple spots back there to launch from, one is by a bridge. I'll poke around the internet for a bit and see if I can find more information for you.

Via google maps, there looks like there may be a place to pull out just around the corner from where we will be off of Border St. If that doesn't work out though between the two of us we can slide your boat up over the rocks where the rest of us will be doing the same with our short boats if you like ;) So come on down and join the fun. You might want to bring the shorter of your two boats though as long as your spray skirt works on it and you're fitted enough to edge the boat.

Smoke, I'm interested in joining you on Wed. I'm busy with AMC Boston's WW pond sessions on Tues and Thurday night and will be heading back up to the Deerfield on Friday otherwise I would probably be there every night this week - LOL BTW, this is the week I'm off so perhaps we can sneak a lesson in there somewhere too :)
crayolabarb

Post by crayolabarb »

hey guys- not going to be able to make it.
Forgot that the drive back home to Sudbury will be with returning Cape End of Holiday traffic and just not up to it.

I'm thinking of you in The Wave!

Maybe Wed.?

Please keep posting- I'll make it one of these days.

CrayolaB
Avocet LV Orange/White
Tempest 16.5 Red Roto
norm

Post by norm »

Thanks for the lessons Kate and Chris. One of these days I'll get aggressive and get wet.

Barb - I was watching for you - brought my long boat to show you around Cohasset if you made it.

Nice to see you Bea - you'll have to give the wave a try...even I did it. The scariest part was the kids jumping off the bridge without looking to see if anyone was underneath. Glad the police finally showed up when the crowd on the bridge had grown to about 40 (counted them).

Thanks for going out in the sea kayak Lora - we did 6.3 miles out and around Grape Island. Next time I'll pack the tow rope when you're on your third trip of the day.

Here are a few pics:
Chris teaching Lora proper WW paddle positioning.
Chris teaching Lora proper WW paddle positioning.
IMGP6169.JPG (111.32 KiB) Viewed 17117 times

Mark and Chris riding the wave together.
Mark and Chris riding the wave together.
IMGP6173.JPG (156.09 KiB) Viewed 17117 times

Lora and Kate posing for the camera.
Lora and Kate posing for the camera.
IMGP6187.JPG (182.39 KiB) Viewed 17117 times

40 jumpers and on-lookers on the bridge and Mark using hand paddles.
40 jumpers and on-lookers on the bridge and Mark using hand paddles.
IMGP6178.JPG (144.01 KiB) Viewed 17117 times

Sunset at Wessagusset beach.
Sunset at Wessagusset beach.
IMGP6199.JPG (72.42 KiB) Viewed 17117 times
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Great pictures!

Looked like a good time was had by all!
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
lora925

Post by lora925 »

Barb, I was thinking of you when I got there last night and I think it was a good thing you didn't bring your sea kayak to the wave area. It looked to me that you would have run out of room trying to make any sort of turns and the climb up and out over the rocks with your boat would have been more difficult then I first thought. The Gulf River is still a good place for the long boats though and that is a great time to navigate under the bridge (3 hours before high tide) the only thing with that is that you would have to paddle back there until the river starts to change directions again, which isn't a bad thing ;) ther is plenty to see.

Cohasset Harbor is a great place to paddle as well. I like to drive over to the boat ramp to unload and load my sea kayak though. It's around the corner from the wave and you actually park in the same spot - you just have a little walk that is lovely as well. You can read more about it and get directions to the boat ramp at: http://wtpaddlers.org/spots-04.html

CGR, NK, Mark, Norm, thanks again for a great time. I felt a lot more comfortable in my boat last night and appreciate all the tips, patience, and words of encouragement :) See you next time!
crayolabarb

Post by crayolabarb »

Thanks for thinking of me Norm and Lora. You guys are awesome!
Great photos and glad a good time was had by all.
I'm going to look at them again- they make me feel "cooler"! :)

Crayolabarb
Avocet LV Orange/White
Tempest 16.5 Red Roto