Naushon Island circumnavigation RE-SCHEDULED to 19th August

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

Briggsy

Naushon Island circumnavigation RE-SCHEDULED to 19th August

Post by Briggsy »

My plan is to circumnavigate Naushon Island on Thursday 5th August.
This is not a "guided" trip and it is also THE most ambitious trip I have planned. The bad news is that due to the fact that there are strong currents in the Woods Hole area AND I only have weds and thurs off, we will have to launch early between 7am and 7.15am. The (relatively) good news is that I have found parking in Woods Hole area.The New England Fast Ferry from New Bedford passes thru Woods Hole around 7.15am and the Steamship Authority Ferries from Woods Hole that depart at 7am should not affect us as we will hopefully be crossing Woods Hole shortly after slack water.
I thought it might be nice to land on a beach on Nonamesset Island for coffee and breakfast (Egg Macmuffins or something), then catch the SW ebb which starts at 8.22am. (If anyone has any tips on a good spot to land they will be welcome) The SE current thru Robinsons Hole at the S end of Naushon starts at 12.53pm which means we will have to be thru there by then having an early lunch at West Beach or late lunch at Kettle Cove. Although there appears to be only a slight current NE we hopefully will be aided by the wind a little for the return trip.
The New England Fast Ferry will be passing thru Woods Hole at approx 4.15pm-4.30pm and again around 5pm but I am hoping we will be done by then.
The only (as I see it !!!) down side to the trip other than the weather, is a killer current thru Woods Hole on our return.....
SE current starts 11.58am.....NW current starts 6.58pm....which means that a guestimate on our return crossing would be around max current...........so the plan is to stay out from Woods Hole and land on a tiny beach just north of the Aquarium which would mean a short walk back to the vehicles so Jordan can get home for his birthday dinner!!!!
Check out the "Cape Cod Truro" thread on "Upcoming trips" for detailed info and the lead up to this trip.
I would say that anyone contemplating this trip should have solid boat handling skills, carry rescue and emergency equipment, be capable of performing a T or X rescue and be capable of a 20 mile plus day. Obviously sea kayaks ,sprayskirts pfd's will be required.
A couple of folks have shown some interest on the aforementioned thread. Please reply to this message if you have any questions or suggestions. Also I will REALLY need to know who is coming as the parking arrangements may involve some shuttling.
The place in Woods Hole I have in mind charges $20 a day to park but I have a friend on RT 28 only a couple of miles from Woods Hole who will let vehicles park for free as long as we PPR at his restaurant. But that will involve shuttling. I can fit 5 kayaks on my truck at a squeeze.
If the weather plays up and folks have taken a day off especially for the trip, there is always Pleasant Bay Chatham, Monomoy, Nauset, Wellfleet etc, or a skills session and BBQ at my house!!!!
This is kind of a rough " put it out there and see" plan. I welcome any comments or suggestions. I can also accommodate a few folks in Harwich if that is easier but it is still 45 mins to 1hr to Woods Hole from where I live.
I have taken all my current and tide info from "Eldridge" 2010 using Pollack Rip and Cape Cod Canal pages as references for the various points along the way.
Thanks for reading and look forward to any replies.
Cheers Briggsy
Attachments
woods hole.jpg
woods hole.jpg (115.5 KiB) Viewed 18996 times
Last edited by Briggsy on Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NorwayLady

Re: Naushon Island circumnavigation Thursday 5th August

Post by NorwayLady »

I am still thinking about this one? Anyone else? I might have to see if I can borrow a faster boat for the day?? Tried Ron's boat last night just for a few minutes, and I noticed a huge difference. Although the boat was a little too big for me, it was still a pure joy to paddle.
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
lora925

Post by lora925 »

I'm thinking about it too. Will decide early next week after I catch my breath from this week's adventures :)
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

I'm in! Anyone else?????
Bea
Briggsy

Re: Naushon Island circumnavigation RE-SCHEDULED to 19th August

Post by Briggsy »

Its a long story......
The trip is still on but 2 weeks later on Thursday 19th August. Meeting and launch times will be the same. Any times regarding current change,tides etc will be 15 to 20 mins later than my first post here. Hopefully the weather will be good. If anyone wants to come please let me know here by the weekend of 14th/15th as we may need to arrange shuttling.
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

The 19th works. Looking forward to it.
Bea
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Hi Dave,

Working to see if I can get this Thursday free to go! Works been nuts, but I need some water therapy!

I'll let you know.

Cheers!
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Jordan,

Briggsy touched base with me yesterday. It sounds like the trip is still on.....I am good to go. He'll probably post final details soon.

Bea
Bea
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Ok, it's official I'm chained to my desk for the balance of the week.

Sorry to miss this one!

Jordan
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

Sorry to miss you Jordan, we'll take plenty of pics. The NOAA marine forecast is as follows......." THU
E WINDS 5 TO 10 KT. SEAS 1 FOOT OR LESS. A CHANCE OF
SHOWERS. PATCHY FOG IN THE MORNING WITH VSBY 1 TO 3 NM."
Doesn't sound all bad. So looks like just 3 of us.
In order to cross Woods Hole at slack tide the latest we want to be paddling is 7.30am. John is taking his own car from Truro to western MA, but Bea it would work out better if I met you at my friends restaurant, Seafood Sams in Falmouth about 4 miles or so from Woods Hole. The reason is that if we all meet down at the ramp in our own cars we won't want to leave all our gear unattended while we park. If you are with me, John and I can park leaving you guarding the gear. I have a kayak rack on my truck we can swap your kayak over to my truck in a few minutes easily.So how about meeting you at Seafood Sams, Palmer Ave Falmouth about 6.30/645. To get there follow Rt28 south from the Bourne Bridge. There is a large rotary by the bridge and another about 4 miles further on. Keep on Rt28 until it changes to single lane. You eventually come to some stop lights, go straight and Seafood Sams is on the right after a few hundred yds. I plan on being there by 6.30. Woods Hole is another 4 miles further. John, I planned to use the boat ramp next to the aquarium. Go into Woods Hole , across the bridge and keep going straight until the road turns right and the ramp is on the left after you turn. The parking is back by the ferry terminal. We will probably be there just before 7.
I have your cell #'s so will call you wednesday sometime just to confirm every thing.
Cheers Briggsy
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Good to go! I'll be at Seafood Sam's by 6:30. Have pm'd contact info.
See you there.
Bea
norm

Post by norm »

Have a great time out there tomorrow. Wish I could have joined you but work is just too busy these days to take a day off (I guess that's a good thing?).
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Jealous of the day you guys are having!

Hope you had a blast!

Jordan
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Living the dream, Jordan. We were actually talking about sending you a text around noon time, but we didn't!

Dave is working on a trip report, or maybe he is working on a beer or two on his deck????? Great day, guys!
Bea
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

Yes on the beer!!!!
Awesome day on the water.
John

Post by John »

beer here too..great day. Thanks again Dave and Bea. Look forward to paddling again soon
Purple Valley Avocet, WS Project 62 , WestSide Boat Exceed, and many more to come.
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Glad you all had a great time, I was thinking all day how stellar is was out there.

Hope you had some great water under your boats!

Will look forward to hearing all about it.

Work got in the way of this trip and Hingham tonight. Next week for sure!

Jordan