Full Moon at the Sandspit 7-25-10?

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

Mark

Full Moon at the Sandspit 7-25-10?

Post by Mark »

Sunday is the Full Moon and we have another nice convergence of sunset/moonrise and low tide at the Spit:

Low Tide: 6PM
Sunset: 8PM
Full Moon Rise: 8PM

Anybody interested in an easy paddle out to the Spit for a picnic and cosmic scenery? There may even be a little baby surf to play in for those so inclined. (You know who you are, Wildwoman!)
ddempesy

Re: Full Moon at the Sandspit 7-25-10?

Post by ddempesy »

WHERE'S sand spit ?
deb
Deb
Plymouth
Cetus LV - Turquoise over White
Mark

Post by Mark »

Hi Deb! Sorry - this has been a perennial favorite with the WTP, so I neglected to include details.

The Sandspit is the local parlance for the large sandy flats that appear at low tide at the mouth of the North and South Rivers in Scituate. We launch from the Driftway Boat launch in Scituate and paddle down to the mouth of the rivers and return on the incoming tide. Do a search on this site and you can find pictures, maps and trip reports from other Full Moon Sandspit trips.

Mark
pallen661

Post by pallen661 »

Hi Mark-

I'm interested (thunderstorms may change that). I've got a commitment in Boston 12-2, but might be interested seeing if there's some surf late in the afternoon and then hanging around till late.

Phil
---
P&H Cetus MV, black over white with red tape
Necky Jive, Orange swirly things
Mark

Post by Mark »

Hi Phil - Sounds good. I have Jess till 5PM, but would probably head down to the Driftway right after I drop her off, so get there about 5:30. Looks like all clear by evening on Sunday but let's keep an eye on the weather. Some small rideable surf does look promising right now.

Mark
rkhederian

Post by rkhederian »

I would be interested too. Let me know the meeting time and place.

Bob K.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Hi Bob - I'm looking at arriving at the Driftway about 5:30. The directions to the launch:

Take Route 3 to exit 13 (approx 10 miles from the Braintree split). This is the Hanover Mall exit. Left off the exit onto Rt 53 north. About a quarter mile up, take a right at the first set of lights onto Main Street (Route 123).

Follow this road for about 6 miles to the intersection of Rt 3A (this is shown in that zoomed in map above).

The next few hundred yards will be a bit tricky.

Cross straight through that light, bear right around a short curve, stop at the stop light and then go straight across onto the Driftway.

The launch will be on your right, less than a mile up. Keep an eye out for Widows Walk Golf Course, which is right across the street from the launch.

wildwoman

Post by wildwoman »

Did I miss this? What day is it? What planet are we on?

Dang. I just got my new Protec helmet and can't wait to try it out on the bottom of Scituate Harbor.

I've got a 3 yr old birthday party tomorrow (Sunday 8 1 10) I think starts around 2pm

Low tide Sunday 8 1 10 at Scituate Harbor is 9:59 am and high is at 4:17

How about going out of the Driftway lauch at 9am on Sunday 8 1 10 and heading back around 12 noon for a 12:30 takeout?

I will post in Upcoming as well
Barb