Woods Hole Current Play, Saturday 9-11

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

Mark

Woods Hole Current Play, Saturday 9-11

Post by Mark »

Next weekend has the fastest currents of the month in Woods Hole. The tides/currents line up nicely for a double play-session with max flood of 4.4 knots at 10:30AM and max ebb of 4.0 knots at 3:30PM. Plenty of time in-between for a leisurely lunch and/or paddle over into Hadley Harbor or out to Nobska Point.

It will be after Labor Day, so the boat traffic will be less of an issue to deal with than during the summer, although as veterans of this play spot know, it is the big boat wakes that really kick it up a notch.

This is an intermediate-advanced trip, as the goal is to go find as much rough water, standing waves and fast currents to play in as possible. That said, we routinely have swims and rescues there, so a "bombproof" roll is not mandatory, but recent experience in self and assisted rescues will be required. (The faster we can get people back in boats, the better.) Also, helmets are a really good idea.

It is a good spot to hone skills for surfing, bracing and maneuvering in current.

Launch time will be about 10. Plan to be done by no later than 5.

If you are interested, please post here.

Thanks,

Mark
Johnysmoke

Re: Woods Hole Current Play, Saturday 9-11

Post by Johnysmoke »

I'm going to see if I can get the day off to join in the fun...
Johnysmoke

Post by Johnysmoke »

Couldn't find anyone to cover my shift, so need to work at 1 Saturday afternoon. Going to hit the wave at Cohasset around 11 and get some surfing in before. Easier than driving all the way down to Wood's Hole anyways...
Mark

Post by Mark »

Johnysmoke wrote:Couldn't find anyone to cover my shift, so need to work at 1 Saturday afternoon. Going to hit the wave at Cohasset around 11 and get some surfing in before. Easier than driving all the way down to Wood's Hole anyways...

Yeah, that's the plan, man.

I just have to say, when I started sea kayaking, I wish somebody was around posting trips like this that I could have joined. Instead I paid CRC&K $100 a pop to go play in Woods Hole.

Oh, well, nobody has to want to do what I want to do.
Johnysmoke

Post by Johnysmoke »

They get $139 a pop for those classes. Same with going to play at Cohasset in the rips...
pallen661

Post by pallen661 »

Mark wrote:
Johnysmoke wrote:Couldn't find anyone to cover my shift, so need to work at 1 Saturday afternoon. Going to hit the wave at Cohasset around 11 and get some surfing in before. Easier than driving all the way down to Wood's Hole anyways...

Yeah, that's the plan, man.

I just have to say, when I started sea kayaking, I wish somebody was around posting trips like this that I could have joined. Instead I paid CRC&K $100 a pop to go play in Woods Hole.

Oh, well, nobody has to want to do what I want to do.

Timing is everything, but then you know that. See you at the wave soon.

Phil
---
P&H Cetus MV, black over white with red tape
Necky Jive, Orange swirly things
lora925

Post by lora925 »

And I for one am selfishly glad that it worked out this way, because now I do get to paddle with you on Saturday after all :D
Mark

Post by Mark »

Just got a text message from Kate, who is up in the Bay of Fundy this week:

"Fun day in current. Woods Hole, but faster and everywhere."

Doh! :cry: