Saturday 9/11 Early Paddle?

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

kayakerjnj

Saturday 9/11 Early Paddle?

Post by kayakerjnj »

Hi All,

Is anyone up for an early paddle this coming Saturday. I have afternoon commitments but was still looking to get out for a few miles.

Open to suggestions :D
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
lora925

Re: Saturday 9/11 Early Paddle?

Post by lora925 »

I'm planning on heading to the Cohasset Wave in my short boat around 10:30 am for a couple hours in case you're interested. High tide is at 2:03 pm with a 10.88 ft tide :)
Johnysmoke

Post by Johnysmoke »

Lora, if I can't find someone to cover my afternoon shift at work, allowing me to make the vineyard trip, I'll probably join you at the wave. I plan on being there Friday morning as well.
norm

Post by norm »

Jordan - I might be up for a long boat paddle Saturday morning if you're still not interested in whitewater fun. What time do you have to be back? Do you want to stay local? Where can we go where low tide won't be too much of an issue?
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Hi Norm,

I'm game anything convenient. I'd like to be back by 1 or so.

Hope you're having a good week!

Jordan
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

HI All,

Norm and I are planning a early morning paddle out of Scituate Harbor @ 8 AM Saturday 9/11.
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=42.193314,-70.725415&num=1&sll=42.202879,-70.720318&sspn=0.016532,0.032015&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=42.193354,-70.725228&spn=0.003342,0.008256&t=h&z=18&iwloc=A

So far we have three people including Norm and I. It will be a short low stress paddle up along the coast a bit. Unfortunately my time constraints will limit me to till about noon, so figure on a three hour paddle or so.

Please RSVP if you are planning to attend. The link above shows the put in an parking area.

Cheers,

Jordan
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Well, something that close I really can't turn down. See you there.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

This month's "Bea Ellis - Damn the Torpedoes, Full Speed Ahead" award goes to relative kayaking newcomer Tracy, who Jordan coerced into some serious ocean kayaking (some of the most challenging water I've ever been in). With 2-4' waves breaking over the beam, and successfully completing two (count-em, TWO) rough-water assisted rescues. She never showed any fear and can't wait to do it again. Of course, it's always good to have Jordan available for the rescues and paddling instruction... "Rotate your torso!" "Turn slightly to the left!" "Lower your skeg a little!" "Keep paddling!" "Eat your vegetables!" "Don't run with scissors!"
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Finn McCool

Post by Finn McCool »

That was the roughest water I've ever been on...more challenging than the epic splash-fest off Padanarum a few years ago. Tracy was a great sport ... and the rest of us just caromed from one "Whoa!!! :shock: " moment to another. Lots of fun though.

Reading back at the excursion description a few messages up, I am now quite amused at the use of the words "low stress." :lol:
Alla har rätt till min åsikt!
norm

Post by norm »

Very well described! I'm so glad Pat and Mike decided to join the trip. It was a lot more comforting being in a group of five than a group of three. Glad that I wasn't the only one feeling that the conditions were very challenging. Pat did a great job getting to Jordan to assist with the rescues.

My scariest moment was on the way back to the harbor, grounding out on a shallow spot in the trough of a four foot wave that I was lucky enough to be heading into rather than taking broadside. At that point I decided to paddle like mad straight into the waves to get into deeper water and then found it difficult to turn back towards the harbor breakwater. Riding the waves when I got turned was a thrilling experience, biggest waves I've been on so far. Mike and Pat took a closer to shore route and were wondering where the heck I was heading at one point. When I got back to them, Mike said "I thought you were headed for P-Town".

Great job Tracy! Your a great sport. I think we owe you a trip down in your area of the south shore now, so you don't have to drive so far next time.

Jordan - I'll paddle with you any time. You did an excellent job leading the group and taking care of Tracy. Thanks for posting this trip.
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

You guys were terrific!

You all were great sports and all worked so well as the team that we are! Very happy to be a Wild Turkey Paddler :D

I only wish we had some pics on the water, as some of waves were pretty impressive!

Jordan
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

kayakerjnj wrote:I only wish we had some pics on the water, as some of waves were pretty impressive!

Yeah, Norm really let us down. He has this silly need for two hands on the paddle as waves are breaking over his boat. What a wus.

:D :D
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

pat wrote:This month's "Bea Ellis - Damn the Torpedoes, Full Speed Ahead" award goes to relative kayaking newcomer Tracy, who Jordan coerced into some serious ocean kayaking (some of the most challenging water I've ever been in). With 2-4' waves breaking over the beam, and successfully completing two (count-em, TWO) rough-water assisted rescues. She never showed any fear and can't wait to do it again. Of course, it's always good to have Jordan available for the rescues and paddling instruction... "Rotate your torso!" "Turn slightly to the left!" "Lower your skeg a little!" "Keep paddling!" "Eat your vegetables!" "Don't run with scissors!"

I didn't know there was such an award. However, the prize below can be claimed at a popular New England kayak destination (rescue skills required). Help Tracy claim her prize.

Bea
Attachments
IMG_3731.JPG
IMG_3731.JPG (218.05 KiB) Viewed 16611 times
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
Finn McCool

Post by Finn McCool »

A postscript to our little adventure out there off of Scituate on Saturday morning.

Let it be noted that:

1) Jordan's expertise and leadership was very much in evidence. All kidding aside, his insistence on safety first and foremost instilled confidence and good judgement that made a rather wild time on the water quite a lot of fun.

2) There should be no question - ever - about the value of rescue practices we've all been through at one time or another. Again, credit goes to Jordan for making it a priority on the calendar and leading the way.

3) Norm should have worn his camera helmet. :P Some of the waves were impressive, and I've locked in my mind a number of images of my fellow paddlers blasting their way through exploding foam, spray, and breakers. Would have made for some great imagery here on the site. Instead, I think all we'll see are peaceful harbor shots of really cool sailing yachts at anchor. Little did we know what awaited us out on the other side of the breakwater. :shock:

It was a short but epic adventure. 8)
Alla har rätt till min åsikt!
norm

Post by norm »

Finn McCool wrote: Instead, I think all we'll see are peaceful harbor shots of really cool sailing yachts at anchor. Little did we know what awaited us out on the other side of the breakwater.

So, I guess you're expecting a trip report...or you were reading my mind last night as I started writing one. Ran out of time to finish it, but I did pick out about 20 serene pictures from the harbor and captured an image of the GPS track. Will probably finish and post it tonight.