Westport River - Wednesday - 10/20/10

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

norm

Westport River - Wednesday - 10/20/10

Post by norm »

I'm thinking of taking next Wednesday off to paddle the East Branch of the Westport River. I've never been there before, so if anyone wants to chime in with advice, feel free. More details later when I have time to do some research. We'll probably paddle over 10 miles this trip, with a couple stops on islands to find some new geo-caches.

So far, Jack is planning to join me again. I might want to change the day depending on the weather forecast, if Jack is flexible...
Linda

Re: Westport River - Wednesday - 10/20/10

Post by Linda »

Definite interest in this + it's my day off from work... I've been there a couple of times but can't honestly say I know it well. I'll watch the weather and the board for updates.
Still Mind, Relaxed Breath, Pure Attention...
Paddling is Great Therapy!
cgr

Post by cgr »

If you go up to the Head (where Osprey Sea Kayak is) you need to watch the tides - there is a mile or two of shallow flats that can be difficult if not impassable at low water. If you call Osprey they can tell you when high/low is at the head, it is an hr or two I think behind hix bridge.
Aquaholic

Post by Aquaholic »

Norm,

I haven't done the Westport River yet this year, so I'm interested in joining you on this trip.
Let's hope we can get an Indian Summer day.
Audrey
P&H Cetus LV
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

Norm, I'm in if its Wednesday or Thursday. I can't help with details but I can bring laminated charts !!!!!
Briggsy
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

There is a 50-50 chance I can join you. Might not know until Tuesday............
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
gifallen

Post by gifallen »

Have done the east branch a couple of times. Will be glad to join you.
Finn McCool

Post by Finn McCool »

I might try to join you for this. Can't make the Charles River trip over the weekend, and this may well be an opportunity for a good paddle before things get too cold. I'll confirm or drop in a few days.
Alla har rätt till min åsikt!
Finn McCool

Post by Finn McCool »

Well, so much for that... :roll:

I now have a mid-afternoon meeting in Sharon; its a lot more important that getting in a late season, mid-week paddle.

Alas.

Have fun.
Alla har rätt till min åsikt!
norm

Post by norm »

Well, it looks like the weather is going to be nice to us for another weekday paddle - could reach 60 degrees. The tide is not ideal this week, low at Hix Bridge at 3:00pm, but I want to give it a try anyway. From the books and advice of Chris and others, the head of the river may be unpassable - too many mud flats 2 hours on either side of low tide. Launching at the head of the river could be a very bad idea - we'd probably get down ok and then have trouble on the return. So, I'm planning on launching at Hix Bridge where there is a boat ramp and a channel. My assumption is that even at dead low tide there would be enough water to land a kayak and I hope that with a boat ramp, there would be a spot that is not too muddy. I'm also assuming that we can use this municipal boat ramp since it is now off-season. I don't know what the summer restrictions are, but I'm guessing it may be for residents only.

From Hix Bridge we can travel south and check out all the islands. We can probably venture all the way beyond the route 88 bridge into Westport Harbor and maybe stop at Horseneck point for lunch at about 1:00. I don't plan to head out into the open water off Horseneck Beach because Jack does not have a spray skirt or experience doing a wet exit with a spray skirt attached. We can still easily travel 10 or more miles. As the tide will be falling most of the time we are there, I figure we could use the channel to get back to Hix Bridge if necessary.

The temperatures are pretty cool in the morning, so I'd like to plan to meet at Hix Bridge at 10:00am so the sun has a little time to warm things up. Plan to be on the water by 10:30, lunch at about 1:00 and then back to the boat ramp at 4:00 at the latest.

Here is the Google maps link to Hix Bridge municipal boat ramp parking lot: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... 8&t=h&z=17

To summarize the plan:
10:00am - Meet at Hix Bridge
10:30am - Be on the water and head south
1:00pm - Stop for lunch somewhere
4:00pm - Be off the water

So far, here's who have shown interest in this trip:
Jack (was still interested at last Thursday night's football game)
Linda (still interested this morning in a PM message)
Audrey
Briggsy
Bea (just sent me an email and said she is planning to be there)
Gif (said he's probably not interested due to the low tide)
Mike (can't make it due to a meeting)

Please chime in again, if you feel like it, to tell us you're definitely planning to attend.

Thanks,
Norm
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

Does everyone have yellow kayaks????
I'll definitely be there.
See you weds
Briggsy
norm

Post by norm »

Briggsy wrote:Does everyone have yellow kayaks????
Briggsy

No, Jack and Audrey have the wrong color boats. They'll have to stop at Osprey Sea Kayak and buy yellow yaks!!! :lol:
They need longer boats anyway!!! :lol:
Linda

Post by Linda »

I'm a definite, as said before and have invited a friend, Barbara, most likely coming. If she does we'll be traveling in 1 vehicle - could help the parking issue. I'll try getting in touch with Carl Ladd about the suspicious 'mud flats' on the upper river in that time frame (and if not bad will ask about using his lot- just in case)... I can bring a nylon spray skirt, just in case it will offer protection if needed and we can adjust it to 'fall off' if a tip over should happen. WHOO-HOO! I'm psyched... going to be another beauty!
Linda

Post by Linda »

Barara sounds sick this morning, may not come. I've got a call out to Westport Town Hall about using the Hix Bridge ramp/parking lot as Barbara told me that you need an town sticker to park there and they're VERY STRICT ABOUT THAT EVEN OFF SEASON. I'm waiting for reply from Carl (Owner of Osprey Sea Kayaking at the Head of the River + knows the river better than anyone) about paddling a small channel through the low tide muddy area... sometimes possible if the moon is right.
Otherwise, the only other launch I know of is a boat launch just after the RT-88 bridge on Cherry + Webb Ln, near the Back Eddy Restaurant. This is at the Harbor end of the East and West Branche merge of the Westport River. There IS a $5 a day fee, but once unloaded 2 cars can park in 1 trailler slot and share it for $2.50 each. It's an honor system with a drop box so correct amount is necessary BUT THEY DO CHECK REGULARLY that there is appropriate payment for used spaces (even off season)!
When I get replys back with some other alternative, I'll pass it on.
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Thanks, Norm, for organizing the trip. I'll check this thread later in case there are last minute changes. Looking forward to kayaking in the yellow boat club! I drove from Virginia yesterday and was stuck in stand still traffic on DC's Capital Beltway for over 90 minutes due to a fatal accident! Total gridlock. Needless to say, I am really looking forward to getting out in my boat with you guys.

See you'all tomorrow.

NorwayLady
Bea
Linda

Post by Linda »

Hope to see you tomorrow, Bea! As frustrating as it must have been, just be thankful you weren't PART of the accident.
OK, the FINAL ANSWER FROM THE TOWN HALL IS: We can not park at the Hix Bridge boat launch/ramp -it is not their off season (Scallop season) and we DO need to have resident stickers or they WILL ticket.
Samantha, Carl's wife replied we CAN park behind their building and launch there... that there is a channel we can follow back to the put in even at low tide... but it will require more time to maneuver it.
OK, Norm, all us inquiring minds want to know your decision on the put-it!
norm

Post by norm »

Linda wrote:OK, the FINAL ANSWER FROM THE TOWN HALL IS: We can not park at the Hix Bridge boat launch/ramp -it is not their off season (Scallop season) and we DO need to have resident stickers or they WILL ticket.
Samantha, Carl's wife replied we CAN park behind their building and launch there... that there is a channel we can follow back to the put in even at low tide... but it will require more time to maneuver it.
OK, Norm, all us inquiring minds want to know your decision on the put-it!

Thank you so much for getting all this information for us Linda!!! I'd hate to have arrived there with all these bad assumptions and started off the day with a big mess. It's so much easier when you've already been to these places before.

I really don't want to get stuck following an unfamiliar muddy channel in fading daylight in mid-October. That makes me nervous.

How about a one-way trip starting at Osprey Sea Kayak (OSK) and ending at the state boat ramp at the Route 88 Bridge. That way we can ride the tide down, see the whole river and hopefully not have to worry about low water too much. If someone could meet me 30 minutes earlier at OSK, we could shuttle my truck down Rte. 88 and leave it at the state boat ramp (where they can't have all these municipal parking restrictions). When done paddling, someone would have to stay with the boats while I shuttled all the drivers back up to OSK to get the other cars. This should work as long as we have at least one car with 2 people riding together and as long as Jack is still coming with me, we should have that covered.

The address for OSK is: 489 Old County Rd, Westport, MA 02790
Note that this is COUNTY road, not COUNTRY road - I mis-spelled it when I first started my research.

Here is a Google Maps link to OSK: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... Adventures)

So, to summarize the new plan:
9:30am - One other driver meet me at OSK to shuttle my truck to the Rte. 88 boat ramp
10:00am - Everyone else arrive at OSK
10:30am - Be on the water and head south
12:30pm or so - Stop for lunch somewhere - maybe on an island
3:30pm - Be off the water at the Rte. 88 Bridge State Boat Ramp
3:40pm - One person stays with boats, I shuttle other drivers back to OSK
4:00pm - We're back at the boat ramp loading up for the drive to PPR or home
All times are just estimates - we could be done earlier - I don't want to run much later though...

Does this work for everyone? Did I miss anything? Anybody know a place to go for PPR?

Briggsy - are you making those fantastic laminated charts for us?
Aquaholic

Post by Aquaholic »

Yes, still planning to join you all tomorrow and a good thing, too. Jack and I need to be there with our RED boats to balance out too much yellow! Consider that the psychology of color says:
Yellow can also create feelings of frustration and anger. While it is considered a cheerful color, people are more likely to lose their tempers in yellow boats and babies tend to cry more in yellow rooms. :D

Since I live the closest to Westport, I can meet you there early Norm. For PPR, there's always Westport Rivers Vineyard right on Hixbridge Road. :shock:
Audrey
P&H Cetus LV
Linda

Post by Linda »

Norm, how many can you transport back in your truck at one time?
I had another friend/paddler want to know if I could paddle tomorrow and I invited him. I'm wondering if we need to have more than 1 vehicle at the other end. (I hope I didn't complicate this). If so, I can come early, too.
norm

Post by norm »

Linda wrote:Norm, how many can you transport back in your truck at one time?
I had another friend/paddler want to know if I could paddle tomorrow and I invited him. I'm wondering if we need to have more than 1 vehicle at the other end. (I hope I didn't complicate this). If so, I can come early, too.

Linda - more paddlers should not be a problem. I have room for six passengers in my truck. We only need to transport drivers back to OSK anyway, passengers can hang out with the boats during the afternoon shuttle, so we can leave up to six cars at OSK. They won't mind us leaving all those cars there after Jack and Audrey have bought yellow Cetus kayaks...

Audrey - Linda has also offered to meet me at OSK early, but it may be easier for you to meet me if Linda is picking up Barbara. I'll let you guys decide. Thanks to both of you.

Norm
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

Norm, I'll run off a few charts, ha ha!!
Yellow boats rock!!
Briggsy
gifallen

Post by gifallen »

OK Norm, I'll be there .... And I'll be in a yellow kayak !!
Linda

Post by Linda »

OK, Barbara is not coming(we were coming together). Ric is (driving alone). OK, with Gif + everyone coming separately that makes 7 drivers, by my count (I admit I'm not good with this shuttle thing). I'm thinking that means we'd need another vehicle at the Harbor end to get everyone to their cars at OSK. I think I'll show early, too and have the option to leave my car at the Harbor end, too.
If I'm totally 'out in orbit' on this let me know and I'll sleep the extra 1/2 hr!
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Thanks for the update. I'll be at Osprey at 10:00 am. Glad I am not bringing my ORANGE boat, that would really screw things up!

Yes, Linda, I am happy to be alive. I didn't see the accident happen. The driver of the 18-wheeler died, and his cargo was kegs of Sam Adams.
Bea
norm

Post by norm »

Bea - Did you grab a keg of Sam Adams for PPR???

Jack is definitely coming with me so we have one person to stay with the boats in the afternoon.

Linda - 7 drivers sounds like the right count and that is fine. My truck carries 7 total if seat-belted and we could probably squeeze an eighth in for the 10 minute drive if needed.

Audrey - Linda wants an extra 1/2hour sleep, so please meet me at OSK at 9:30am.

Briggsy - got 8 charts laminated???

Gif - glad you decided to join us...I guess my plan must be reasonable then since you're the one that's been here a few times already.

See you all in the morning.

Thanks,
Norm
Aquaholic

Post by Aquaholic »

Ok, thanks for the update, Norm. See you at 9:30!

Audrey
P&H Cetus LV
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Thank you, Norm, for posting another great trip. Loved it!
Bea
Linda

Post by Linda »

YES! Another GLORIOUS DAY on the water! Thanks, Norm (and all that came- a great paddling group)!
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Norm hunting for images to share. Looking forward to photos and report!
Attachments
IMG_4100.JPG
IMG_4100.JPG (81.13 KiB) Viewed 29056 times
Bea
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Happy you had a great day out there!
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
norm

Post by norm »

Sorry it took so long, but I finally finished the trip report. Nelson said I need to work on sharing more pictures, so it took a little longer. :D