Washburn camping preparations for May 21/22

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

pat
Site Admin

Re: Washburn camping preparations for May 21/22

Post by pat »

Last year we launched at noon, and I don't remember any issues with that.

I'm going to bring bowls and spoons for everyone's stew.

Oh yeah, one other thing... Could everyone please bring a little cash with you? We need to all pay for the sites that Chip already paid for.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Finn McCool

Post by Finn McCool »

Cash goes with everything. :)

Are there any remaining gaps in the menu that need covering? What about the morning essential: coffee? Cowboy style (throw grinds in pot, let them settle, filter or pour very carefully)...some sort of brewing apparatus...or fend for thyself?
Alla har rätt till min åsikt!
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

I didn't want to volunteer anyone else for more duties, and I'm carrying pretty much all I can carry, so my personal plan was just to fend for myself. If someone wants to make coffee, that'd be great.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

A great idea Nelson had when I went to Moscungus with the boys, was to use coffee bags so all one would need to do is make hot water :)

It was great not to need the press I had purchased.

Cheers,
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
TraceyJ

Post by TraceyJ »

Okay. So for Sunday morning. Everyone brings and takes care of their coffee or tea or beverage of choice and
I have six people that raised their hands for eggs.

1. Joe
2. Pat
3. Jordan
4. Ron
5. Norm
6. Myself

Is this correct? Are all of you okay with real eggs? I am not bringing egg beaters.
Let me know if I left anyone out.
Valley Aquanaut / white-on-white
P&H Delphin 150 Surf / Yellow
norm

Post by norm »

Tracey - real eggs are great. Thanks! I've got a little fry pan to help with the cooking Sunday morning.

New question for the engineer types in the group - is it feasible to make an adapter for the kayak water pumps to use them as an air pump for an air mattress?

I've got an excellent dual action air pump from car camping days, but it's too massive to bother bringing on the kayak. I wonder if I can attach it's hose to my kayak pump with a big piece of shrink wrap tubing?
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

I was torn about whether to bring my air mattress or roll-up pad. But I like the idea about kludging a bilge pump to do the job. Bring a little duct tape and give it to Ron.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

In principle I think it's a yes, I just don't know how much cracking pressure there is in the check valve.

I'll get my staff on it!

I was thinking the same thing. FYI, I'm bringing a mattress and a compact battery operated pump. Bring some extra d-cells and I'll take care of you!

Jordan
nchill

Post by nchill »

You guys crack me up with all the talk about pumps and air mattresses. It's just one night fergawdsakes. I will be bringing a tiny little salmon colored pill which will enable me to sleep on anything. :mrgreen:

-Nancy
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

I just camped at Washburn last night, it was wet wet wet, but this morning (Thurs) it was fantastic!!!
Anyone who likes fishing head out to the rock jetty(right hand side if heading out into the sound) and fish right at the end either side at low tide and for about 2 to 3 hrs after....stripers everywhere. No keepers but plenty in the 25" range. Also a nice standing wave feature at the jetty end for anyone wanting to play. Unfortunately the Old Town Penobscot 16 canoe isn't a surfing machine !!!
Have fun Cheers Briggsy
Ron

Post by Ron »

Just a couple of pieces of tubing. There should not be much back pressure.
pump.jpg
pump.jpg (119.71 KiB) Viewed 28073 times
Image P&H Cetus HV
Mark G

Post by Mark G »

I'am thinking of launching early, around 8:00am Anyone interested? Also what are our site #'s? I won't set up till everyone gets there, but may want to drop my gear. Thanks
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

I did a similar test as Ron beautifully depicted. You might get quite a workout filling a mattress but it will work :D

It actually worked better than I thought, just not a high volume unit.

Cheers!

Jordan
norm

Post by norm »

Nancy - I tried the roll-up pad last year (without pills or alcohol), didn't sleep well at all, so this time I want to go back to sleeping on an air mattress.

Ron - pump looks good - curious to see if it has enough oomph! It seemed like neither of my pumps were putting out enough air, so I went out and got the battery powered version. Heavy, but compact. The pump I usually carry in my boat doesn't have that handy nozzle to attach tubing to anyway - that type pump does not fit in my under-deck hatch.

Mark - an early paddle sounds interesting (did that last year), but I don't think I can get my butt moving early enough this year.
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

No need to bring air mattress or therma-rest. According to this crazy dude we are all going to heaven or hell by 6:00 pm in the time zone we live in on May 21.................................
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

NorwayLady wrote:No need to bring air mattress or therma-rest. According to this crazy dude we are all going to heaven or hell by 6:00 pm in the time zone we live in on May 21.................................

Does this mean we're all going to the early bird special for dinner? :lol: :P

Jordan
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

NorwayLady wrote:According to this crazy dude we are all going to heaven or hell by 6:00 pm in the time zone we live in on May 21.................................

My air mattress is going to protect me from the earthquake.

Hey, if enough of us are bringing the mattress, I might just strap the bulky pump onto my deck and we can all use it.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Finn McCool

Post by Finn McCool »

Aren't we supposed to be levitating or floating around by nightfall? Who needs a mattress?
Alla har rätt till min åsikt!
norm

Post by norm »

pat wrote:Hey, if enough of us are bringing the mattress, I might just strap the bulky pump onto my deck and we can all use it.

Sounds like we'll have at least two battery powered mattress pumps, so depending on how long the 4 D batteries last in these things, we may be covered. Everyone is welcome to use my battery powered pump...till the batteries die...or till we die in the earthquake...
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

That's definitely easier than a hand pump, so I'll leave mine at home.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
nchill

Post by nchill »

I've looked at the tides for Waquoit and the flood begins at around 10 am, with max flood at around 12:30, 1.7 knots. While certainly doable, the flood in the river will be a PITA with a noon launch. I am with Mark for leaving earlier, but 8:00 would be difficult for me. Any takers for around 9:30-ish launch? I would not mind paddling out alone at that time, but it would be more fun to be with the group.

-Nancy
Dalerks

Post by Dalerks »

FYI it is suppose to be foggy up until 11am
Joseph
Cetus LV
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Bear in mind that you can't get onto the campsite until 1pm. So if there are showers, you're just going to have to stand in them till we can get in to set up.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Those riding with Ron, please meet at the Exit 5 rest area at 10:30am Sat.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Mark G

Post by Mark G »

9:30am works for me. Let me know if its a go. PM me and we can trade cell #'s in case it's raining
norm

Post by norm »

nchill wrote:I've looked at the tides for Waquoit and the flood begins at around 10 am, with max flood at around 12:30, 1.7 knots. While certainly doable, the flood in the river will be a PITA with a noon launch. I am with Mark for leaving earlier, but 8:00 would be difficult for me. Any takers for around 9:30-ish launch? I would not mind paddling out alone at that time, but it would be more fun to be with the group. -Nancy

Nancy - I'm no expert with these kind of things, but I think those figures may only be pertinent at the end of the river where Eel Pond meets Nantucket Sound or at the inlet to Waqouit Bay. I don't think there should be any issues at the Town Boat Ramp where we are launching. I believe it is usable at any tide and is very calm.

That said, it might get crowded if 11 people are trying to launch from that little ramp at the same time. I hope to get there a little early, load my boat, move my truck and wait for others to arrive. If I get there too early, I might do a little exploring on the river nearby. I'll try to remember to turn on my marine radio to channel 71.
nchill

Post by nchill »

I'll go out with Mark at 9:30. I have gone out early in the past and had no issues with setting up camp earlier than 1PM as long as the site is unoccupied.
See you all soon.

-Nancy
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

The 1.7 knots IS at the Waquoit Inlet. Unless you are going out into the Sound , tidal currents don't really affect kayaks in Waquoit Bay or the launch area.
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Thank Briggsy

Wish you could join us. See you soon!

Jordan
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Thank you for a great trip. Anyone writing a trip report??
IMG_1652.JPG
IMG_1652.JPG (87.55 KiB) Viewed 28004 times

Mark, Tim and Nancy out in the Sound with Washburn Island in the back ground.
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

The trip report might have to be a cooperative effort. I'd like to create a complete trip report page for it, but I wasn't there for all parts of the adventure, so if others could write that, it would help. Also photos could be posted. I think I'll start a trip report thread.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
seatime
antispam: No

Post by seatime »

It looks like you had pretty good weather, not bad for this time of year anyway.
Waquiot bay and the Eel pond area are GGrreat areas to spend time on the water.
Washburn is a favorite spot of mine.
I may be down tomorrow. the wind is right for a trip around washburn and chillin on the beach near the camp sites.(the other side of the sand bar south of them) nothin like grillin on the beach.
Ive got tons of pics of the area but with the size limit here i cant post them with out them coming out tiny.

I paddled back from oak bluffs at night solo a couple years back,,, that was interesting to say the least. Funny thing;
The high speed ferry stopped as it was heading for falmouth to ask me if i was OK while i was sitting off east chop waiting for the two ferrys to pass by. gave me a "good luck" :roll: when i gave him thumbs up hahahahahahahaha