Glades-Minot - Postponed to Jun 26

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

wtrbb

Glades-Minot - Postponed to Jun 26

Post by wtrbb »

Fellow Turkeys: Haven't had a chance to meet all or even most of you but I'm looking forward to a wet and wonderful summer by joining in as many trips as I can. One of my dream trips would be putting in somewhere around Cohasset or N. Scituate and poking around The Glades and possibly out to Minot light. I just aquired Mike's Valley Avocet through your sight and am delighted with it. Took it out for the maiden voyage on a 13 mi North River junket Sunday and had a cold blast. I'd love to plan this trip on a Sunday some time in June...would anyone be interested? Also would anyone have any suggestions as to where one could park and put in?

Stay safe, Alice
Last edited by wtrbb on Wed May 25, 2011 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
kayakerjnj

Re: Glades-Minot in June?

Post by kayakerjnj »

Welcome Alice,

Sounds like a fun trip, its a great area to paddle. There will definitely be plenty of takers for this one, myself included :)

Putting in Scituate is a great place launch from

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=42.193306,-70.72497&num=1&t=h&gl=us&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=42.193171,-70.724664&spn=0.001659,0.004128&z=19

Have a great start to the season.
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
Linda

Post by Linda »

Never did this before. Sounds like a great paddle... depending on what Sunday, I'd love to attend! Post a date + I hope it works out.
Still Mind, Relaxed Breath, Pure Attention...
Paddling is Great Therapy!
Surge_on

Post by Surge_on »

I've been wanting to paddle there for a while. If my schedule permits, I'm in.

Mike
wtrbb

Post by wtrbb »

Not sure if it matters but the tides look good for the 19th but I can do really any Sunday. I'm assuming we would be putting in at Cole Parkway? Any input is surely appreciated, thanks.

Alice
wtrbb

Post by wtrbb »

OOPS that's Father's Day...maybe the 12??
Linda

Re: Glades-Minot June 12

Post by Linda »

OK, so now the trip is the 12th... Perfect... I'm in. Looking forward to it!
Thanks Alice for posting... don't forget that safety equipment :)
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

wtrbb wrote:OOPS that's Father's Day...maybe the 12??

Hi Alice,

If you do officially plan a trip, please start a thread under the UPComing Trips. The reason is only members who've signed up and read our disclaimers can view them.

Feel free to come join the skills session prior to that weekend to tune up any safety / self rescue skills you'd like to dust off.

Cheers
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
cychan

Post by cychan »

James and Cindy are in. One NorthStar tandem.
Definitely go for the lighthouse.
noseykate

Post by noseykate »

just a note to say that if you want to explore the Glades and out to Minot, it doesn't make sense to put in at Scituate. That's a long haul. Why not just put in at Cohasset? They have bathrooms fer Pete's sake! Yeah you have to move your car after unloading. But it's a short walk back to the put-in.

Just sayin'

NK
Linda

Post by Linda »

My experience with Cohassett is that they do almost anything they can to discourage kayakers/out of towners. Parking legitimately was a nightmare in the past... has it changed any? Where can 'out of towners' park in season (after Memorial Day)? Especially if there's a large turn out. Not raining on the parade... just trying to get some good info.
Besides, my intake is that after the lousy Spring/weather we've had... I don't care about time in the cockpit.
cgr

Post by cgr »

Like Kate I have never had any problem parking along the sea wall between the lobster pound & the Atlantica. If you are using the the boat ramp it's a 3 or 4 minute walk after dropping your boat & gear off.

All of my interactions with the harbormaster and the PD have been positive.
noseykate

Post by noseykate »

Linda wrote:Besides, my intake is that after the lousy Spring/weather we've had... I don't care about time in the cockpit.

I was thinking more in terms of beginners probably not having a good time on a 10 mile round trip. I personally would launch from Cohasset to go to Minots, and I'm not a beginner. We parked at the seawall tonight and it was fine.

Just a suggestion, it's not my trip. I'm sure it will be fun regardless :)

NK
Linda

Post by Linda »

Thanks for the update... I only knew of a small lot that can only be used off season because you need a town sticker. I haven't kayaked Cohasset in a bit because of the difficulty parking... so thanks... it IS a very pretty area.
I DO agree with Jordan, the actual plans for this trip should be moved to the appropriate board, though.
Linda

Post by Linda »

OOOPS! This is the right board... that's what happens when you hurry through emails from a weekend away and click on links... sorry about that.
wtrbb

Post by wtrbb »

Actually I'd love to launch from Cohasset. That whole area is beautiful, however I'm always afraid I'll arrive all loaded up with no where to park...if you're sure we wouldn't have trouble finding spots we can absolutley shove off from there-same time, 10am. I assume we'd be putting in @ Government Island???

thanks, alice
noseykate

Post by noseykate »

The Cohasset put-in is at Cohasset Harbor Marina at the end of Parker Street. You park and unload, then move your car back to Border Street, on the other side of the bridge from the Harbor Master, just past the Lobster Pound. This is legal parking. It will only be problematic if you have a bazillion cars, because there's not that much space. Walking back, you can cut through the parking lot by the Harbor Master, below the fancy wedding-receptions building, across a little footbridge back to the Marina.

Not sure what I'm doing that day, but I'd happily come out if I'm free and join you. Tides look good for a mid-morning launch and mid-afternoon return.

NK
rkhederian

Post by rkhederian »

I will be joining you.

Bob K
Dalerks

Post by Dalerks »

I am hoping on Joining you guys for this trip
Joseph
Cetus LV
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Sorry if someone has already suggested this and I overlooked it, but what's to stop folks from launching from both spots and at least attempting to hook up out in the water in a sensible location?
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
wtrbb

Post by wtrbb »

Pat, Thanks for the suggestion. I know there will be some who will want to do that as the amount of paddlers increases the spaces may dwindle in Cohasset and I'd hate for anyone to be left out. What I'm doing at this point though, is watching the weather. So far 6/12 looks like 70% rain and mid 60's, 7m/p/hr winds - not optimal...If we have to reschedule it would be for Sunday, 6/26. Tides are better then anyway but we'll watch and see and post by Friday.
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

I should point out the obvious that the more people who carpool to Cohasset, the more people who don't have to walk
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Finn McCool

Post by Finn McCool »

May be able to break out of the event-planning cyclone for a few hours and join you...but three days away is too long a lead time to predict the state of things at this point.
:?
Alla har rätt till min åsikt!
cgr

Post by cgr »

Finn McCool wrote:May be able to break out of the event-planning cyclone for a few hours and join you...but three days away is too long a lead time to predict the state of things at this point.

Finn McCool

Post by Finn McCool »

Charlie Brown has more hair than me...but otherwise it sums things up. :lol:

We're at "Yardcon 5" around here with just a few weeks to go before this place is "magicially transformed" ( :roll: ) for an outdoor wedding celebration. It's going to be a catered New England clambake with a big tent...so the pressure is on. We're also hosting the bride's family coming up from Colombia and across the pond from London...so it's all got to be perfecto, of course. Stone walls must be rebuilt in sections, trees trimmed, vast swaths of lawn repaired, flower beds weeded and replanted (my all-time "favorite" chore... :x ), and a yet-to-be-revealed chart of tasks brewing up in someone's big blue binder of trouble. We've also got to clear out the garage which is now literally filled to the ceiling and walls with a former neighbor's entire household as they make the move into their new house in Hull next week.

I think the closest I'll be coming to a kayak this month will be when I move it out of the way. My advice: don't have kids...but if you do, encourage them to elope.

Help meeeee.!

wtrbb

Post by wtrbb »

Greetings to all!

With the threat of thunderstorms and choppy waters off Scituate and with the advice of my local weatherman, Rob Gilman, whose advice I trust completely, I feel it would not be too pleasant a trip for this Sunday. I am therefore postponing this trip until June 26. Very disappointed but will look forward once again...until then, best to all,

alice
Linda

Post by Linda »

Thanks for the update, which is probably for the best... hopefully the weather on the 26th will be more reliable.
Hope to see you all then.
wtrbb

Re: Glades-Minot - Postponed to Jun 26

Post by wtrbb »

Really looking forward to this trip! The weather looks great and the tides are cooperating as well for this Sunday; H-8:10am, L-2:00pm
We'll launch at the Parker Ave. ramp in Cohasset at 10:00am.
Unload, then park along the right side of Border St. after the lobster pound. Walking back take the shortcut that runs from the Cohasset Sailing Club/Harbormaster area (Govt. Island) back to the ramp area. Those of you who may want to launch in Scituate/Cole Pkwy, please let me know and we'll make plans to meet up at a designated spot and time.
** Please don't forget all safety equipment, skirts, PFD's, floats etc. as this is an open ocean adventure.**
Should be a lot of fun, hoping to see you all there!
Linda

Post by Linda »

Thanks for the reminder and capsule of details... looking forward to a beautiful paddling day with good friends!
noseykate

Post by noseykate »

planning to join you.

NK
Linda

Post by Linda »

OK, is anyone thinking of the alternate launch site for a longer paddling day? I might be but don't know Scituate at all, area, launch, parking- especially on the weekend... don't want to complicate things... just fielding a thought.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Linda: Find Scituate Light on Cedar Point if you want to launch from Scituate. There is a nice beach on the inside of the harbor a short carry from the *free* parking area.

Mark
noseykate

Post by noseykate »

Linda wrote:OK, is anyone thinking of the alternate launch site for a longer paddling day? I might be but don't know Scituate at all, area, launch, parking- especially on the weekend... don't want to complicate things... just fielding a thought.

It can be a longer trip simply by heading to Little Harbor from Minot's, or southward along the coast, rock-hopping. Easily a day of paddling, plus some interesting current/rocks if you want to dip into it. But if what you want is pure distance paddling, then maybe Scituate is right for you.

NK
Linda

Post by Linda »

I was just concerned about the early Low Tide in Cohasset + Low is LOW there. I just haven't paddled Scituate before and thought it might be a good opportunity to make the best use of the day. Since I've never been, I wouldn't do it alone, for sure. So heading more north may be an option for that day and I'll leave Scituate for another (Unless I get a taker who knows the area).
Thanks Mark for the info... I never pass up FREE PARKING and a sandy beach! If not Sunday... some day soon!
tbrug
antispam: No

Post by tbrug »

Sounds like fun. I am going to try to work it in. Let me know if anyone else from Metro-West wants to care pool.

Tim
norm

Post by norm »

Sorry for the last minute notice, but I'm planning to join you all today. I didn't think I'd be able to do the walking needed for this trip after knee surgery, but it feels really good so I'm going to attend.

Norm
wtrbb

Post by wtrbb »

Wonderful! Looking forward to meeting everyone,,,very excited. I don't care how it looks now -- it's going to be a great day!
Finn McCool

Post by Finn McCool »

Arrgh! :x

That's pirate-talk for "can't make it because I'm doing yard-work all day."

Have fun!

...Dammit.
norm

Post by norm »

Finn McCool wrote:Arrgh! :x

Good thing you didn't show your face! You're in big trouble Mike. What kind of Cohasset Townie are you? There was a big triathlon at the waterfront this morning. We couldn't get to the town ramp from either direction till all the cyclists had passed by. The cops said that everyone in town knows about the triathlon!

We eventually got it together and headed out a little late. Sorry you had to miss an excellent trip. We did a little gardening of our own out there amongst the rocks as Kate led the way on most of the adventure.

Thanks for a great trip Alice. :D
Finn McCool

Post by Finn McCool »

Well, not EVERYONE knew about the event apparently...though we did see them flying around our end of town around 10 AM or so.

I've lived here for 32 years...and that's nowhere near the qualifications to be called a townie.