AMC Boston Harbor trip Wednesday July 6

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

NorwayLady

AMC Boston Harbor trip Wednesday July 6

Post by NorwayLady »

Hi guys.

Tomorrow I am planning on joining the AMC for a Boston Harbor trip. Here is the info I found in the AMC magazine (hope it is OK that I am posting this on the Wild Turkey site - even though it is not a Wild Turkey trip....):

"Wed. July 6 Boston Harbor Inner Islands. Circumnavigate several harbor islands. Put-in Hull Gut, Hull MA. Level 3 paddle. PFD's, sprayskirt req. Leader: George Wey (781-789-8005. Geowey@comcast.net). "

All AMC southeastern chapter kayak trips meet at 10:00 am for a 10:30 departure.

I talked to George last week about which Inner Harbor Islands he had in mind and also about the milage since it was not listed inthe magazine. He was thinking of heading as far in as Thomson Island, and also over to Spectacle Island. Not sure if he will go through the Hull Gut or hug the southeast side of Peddocks island. Total milage could be around 15 miles.

Below is a list over the AMC levels. Again, the Inner Harbor trip is a level 3.

Level 1 No previous or little sea kayak experience is required.
Level 2 You should feel that you can perform the following: a) paddle 6 miles in a day given the weather conditions for that day; b) a wet exit; c) maintain a straight heading without the use of a rudder; and d) turn your kayak using forward and reverse "sweep" strokes.
Level 3 All of the above, and in addition feel confident in: a) assisting and performing a deep water rescue; b) paddle 13 miles in a day given the conditions for that day; c) paddle in 10 to 15 knot winds with seas of 2 to 3 feet; d) be able to launch and land from a beach in these conditions; e) use a marine band VHF radio.
Level 4 All of the above plus: a) paddle 15 miles in a day given the conditions for that day; b) paddle in 20 knot winds; c) handle open ocean, large swells.
Level 5 All of the above, and be able to paddle 20 miles in 25 knot winds with adverse sea conditions.

Bea
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
norm

Re: AMC Boston Harbor trip Wednesday July 6

Post by norm »

I'll be going on this AMC trip also with Bea. I believe the launch point is not going to be way out by the museum building, but further back towards the coast guard station. I think George said he plans to use the empty end of the commuter lot and launch there and make the channel crossing to Peddocks away from the gut.

Norm