Cape Cod Pt 4, Weds 3rd August 2011

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

Briggsy

Cape Cod Pt 4, Weds 3rd August 2011

Post by Briggsy »

The plan is to paddle from Whites Landing (Washburn Island area) to the north end of Osterville Grand Island area. Time permitting we can duck into Popponesset Bay and circle the island and/or loop round Dead Neck (weather permitting)
I'm aiming for a 9am launch but we will need to shuttle vehicles. Low tide for the area is approx 9.15am so the aim is to use the current to our advantage.Estimated mileage 13 nautical miles(15 miles) plus Popponesset side trip 2.5 miles and/or Dead Neck side trip 3 miles.
Sea kayaks with bulkheads only, spray skirts and some rescue skills needed.
Let me know here by 10 pm Monday 1st August as I work till 10pm ish on Tuesday and will not be able to reply in time.
Briggsy
Attachments
ccpt4.jpg
ccpt4.jpg (89.41 KiB) Viewed 20791 times
NorwayLady

Re: Cape Cod Pt 4, Weds 3rd August 2011

Post by NorwayLady »

Hi Briggsy.

Thank you for posting another exciting trip. I have put it on my calendar and plan to join you!

Bea
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
gifallen

Post by gifallen »

Hi Briggsy, I'll be there. Sounds like a good paddle for the day. Thanks Gif
norm

Post by norm »

I plan to be there also. Will carpool with Bea as usual.
gifallen

Post by gifallen »

Briggsy, I see you have a P&H Delphin. Just bought one myself. Gif
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

gifallen wrote:Briggsy, I see you have a P&H Delphin. Just bought one myself. Gif

Yep, its fun isn't it ???
Gif, we'll work out shuttles nearer the time in case there's any more interest
Cheers Briggsy.
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

I suspect it will be just us four so, Gif, seeing as how we live the closest, would it be convenient for you to meet me at the take out point at Prince Cove Marina (I'm assuming you know where that is??) about 8 ish, then we take your truck with our kayaks on to Whites Landing where we meet up with Norm and Bea around 8.30am for a 9am launch ?? I'm sure I can squeeze 4 kayaks on my truck for the return trip.
Does that sound like a plan??
Briggsy
gifallen

Post by gifallen »

Works for me. But I' m not familiar with the take out spot. Will check it out beforehand.
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

Gif, Prince Cove Marina is just off Rt28. there are now traffic lights at the intersection of Rt28 and Rt149, you go south at these lights on Prince Ave and follow for +/- 0.5 mile and the marina is on the left. Its run by Barnstable town. Cost $8 to park for the day
Briggsy
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

A stubborn pulled core muscle is giving me a hard time. I am planning on loading up on "Vitamin I', but please bring your tow belt Dave just in case. Also, hope we all are doing a moderate and steady pace.....that's all I am good for. I told Norm I might bail..... :oops:
Bea
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

Vitamin I works wonders!! Hope you make it, there'll be ice cream afterwards!!
Gif see you at 8 ish at Prince Cove marina and Norm and Bea at 8.30 at Whites Landing.
Cheers Briggsy
josko
antispam: No

Post by josko »

Is it too late for me to join? I realize the deadline was yesterday, but my work schedule just opened up. I'm new to Wild Turkeys, but some folks from last Wed's Weepeckets trip might remember me. I know the area well, boat's a P&H Bahiya (bulkheads), I'm comfortable with rescues and will bring a tow rope for Bea.

Josko
gifallen

Post by gifallen »

Briggsy, I know Josko and he can paddle with me any day. It'll be good to have him along. And, I, also, have a tow belt. Gif
norm

Post by norm »

Gif,

Can your truck carry 3 boats? The shuttle may be a problem if your truck or Josko's vehicle won't carry 3 boats and 3 people. With 5 paddlers, we'll need 2 vehicles at the takeout. If you, Briggsy and Josko meet at the takeout, you'll need to leave 2 vehicles that have the capacity to carry 5 boats after the paddle and use one vehicle that can carry 3 boats and 3 people to the put-in. Briggsy is planning to carry 4 boats after the paddle, so if Josko can only carry 1 or 2, yours will need to be used to carry the 3 of you and 3 boats to the put-in. I hope that all makes sense.

I'm sure Briggsy wouldn't mind having Josko join us if the shuttling works. It's always nice to meet another strong paddler and one that lives on the Cape could be a real bonus.

It'll also be nice to have 4 of us to take turns towing Bea. (I doubt she'll need it.)

Norm
gifallen

Post by gifallen »

I can take 2 boats. I've never tried three, but somehow the center one can be turned on its side. Ya, I can probably get 3 on.
norm

Post by norm »

Bea just called me a few minutes ago and she can not paddle tomorrow. She is hurting too bad. So, we are down to 4 paddlers if Josko comes.
Norm
gifallen

Post by gifallen »

So r we back to plan A ?
norm

Post by norm »

I guess Josko could go straight to the put-in in the morning and Gif and Briggsy can meet at the take-out as planned. That should work.
Norm
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

The more the merrier...
Gif and I will meet at the take out and Josko and Norm meet at the put in and we'll aim to launch at 9am
see you in the a.m.
Briggsy
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Enjoy Cape Cod part 4, boys! Did a test paddle at Hanson tonight, and after a few strokes I was done!! In addition the skeg slider on my Cetus is completely jammed. Not a good way to start a long paddle.

Looking forward to the pictures and the trip report!

Bea
Bea