Cape Cod part 5. Weds 10th August 2011

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

Briggsy

Cape Cod part 5. Weds 10th August 2011

Post by Briggsy »

Weather permitting, the plan is to launch from Prince Cove marina in the Osterville area and follow the coast along to the take out which will be at the boat ramp at the entrance to Bass River in Yarmouth.
Along the way we will have to cross the entrance to Hyannis Harbor which will be busy and have some current flowing out. Between 11.30 and 2.30 there are at least 11 ferries ( that I counted !) plus fishing boats and private boats using the channel.Could be interesting!
Unlike the last 2 sections we won't have any current in our favor and rounding Point Gammon south of Hyannis Harbor there may be some very slight current against us. Slack current is at 2.30pm for that area but the maps in Eldredge show only weak or no currents in the area we will be kayaking. I aim to round that point around lunchtime or just after. I estimate trip distance to be in the region of 18 miles. There probably won't be tons of time to relax and kick back on the beach but there seem to be a few beach areas for quick breaks. I am aiming to launch at 9am.
Anyone thinking of coming should have sea kayaks with bulkheads, sprayskirt and some rescue skills. A vhf would be handy especially around the Harbor area. Also take into account the distance when deciding.
I tried making the trip shorter but couldn't find any suitable take outs.
Let me know by Monday evening as I work till 10pm on Tuesday and will not be able to arrange shuttles easily.
Thanks Briggsy
ccpt5.jpg
ccpt5.jpg (95.48 KiB) Viewed 24472 times
norm

Re: Cape Cod part 5. Weds 10th August 2011

Post by norm »

I'll be there. Bea was feeling better yesterday and I nagged her to get her skeg fixed before part 5, so I'm hoping she'll be available to ride down with me for part 5. I gave her a CD with 300 pictures from part 4, so she can catch up on what she missed.
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Dropping off my Cetus at Osprey tomorrow, and it should be ready for pick-up Monday or Tuesday. A nice swim in the warm water at Hanson did miracles!! I am totally amazed. Felt instantly better. Did 8 miles in my plastic Tempest yesterday and feeling good. If all goes well boat and body should be ready for Cape Cod part 5!

Bea
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

Deb is going to drop me off at the launch and pick us up at the end, so no time wasted in shuttles. Also we have a primo ice cream place lined up for PPR
Briggsy
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Skeg slide has been fixed, and I am picking up the boat tomorrow. Looking forward to Cape Cod part 5. Glad you have found a nice ice cream place, Dave!

Norm, let me know what time you want to meet at Ski Market.

Bea
Bea
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

Right now Wednesday weather not looking great, Thursdays looks better. Personally I don't mind as long as there are no thunderstorms. It could all change though of course http://forecast.weather.gov/shmrn.php?m ... syn=anz200
Any thoughts ???
Briggsy
norm

Post by norm »

Briggsy wrote:Right now Wednesday weather not looking great, Thursdays looks better. Personally I don't mind as long as there are no thunderstorms. It could all change though of course http://forecast.weather.gov/shmrn.php?m ... syn=anz200
Any thoughts ???
Briggsy

I can be pretty flexible and switch to Thursday, even at the last minute, if needed. As far as I'm concerned, we can wait till mid-day Tuesday to decide.
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Either day is fine by me too. Will check the forum for updates.
Bea
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

OK... lets decide tomorrow (Tues).
Briggsy
norm

Post by norm »

My vote is to switch to Thursday.
Norm
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

norm wrote:My vote is to switch to Thursday.
Norm

Yep, I just checked 4 different weather sites, all had wildly different forecasts for Weds, from 20% to 80% chance of rain !!! Thursdays was all consistent, so lets aim to launch by 9am on Thursday. Ice cream is open every day !!
See you thursday
Briggsy.
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Awesome! Really looking forward to it since I missed part 4!

Norm, let me know when you want to meet at the Ski Market.
Bea
gifallen

Post by gifallen »

Hey guys, I have to lead a trip Wednesday, but as stated above, the weather is doubtful. I would like to join you on Thursday, but I promised to go to the skills class that evening What time do you think you will be out of the water???
Chip

Post by Chip »

Hey Gif, if you are talking about the Hanson skills session, that has been moved out a week to get the Hingham paddle back in line with the tides.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
josko
antispam: No

Post by josko »

With apologies for my no-show last week, I'd like to come on Thursday. I'll be paddling with Gif tomorrow (Wed.) and need to be told whether to meet at Prince Cove or Bass river and when. I only have room for one kayak on my roof rack.
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Not sure if this is a help, but if I drive down myself and not carpooling with Norm I will have room for one extra boat on my car.

I'll let you guys figure out the logistics, because you are all really good at it and I get totally confused.

Let me know what you want to do. Anything is fine by me.

Bea
Bea
norm

Post by norm »

NorwayLady wrote:Not sure if this is a help, but if I drive down myself and not carpooling with Norm I will have room for one extra boat on my car.Bea

Bea - I don't think that helps. I think the 3 guys on the Cape will have to work out a shuttle to get a vehicle to the take-out. I don't know what the parking situation is there. I know Briggsy was planning to have his wife drop him off and then meet us all at the take-out.
Norm
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

OK, Norm. Just wanted to throw it out there just in case......I'll check the forum later for carpool details. Happy to pay for the parking $$$
Bea
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

OK Heres a plan...........
Norm and Bea can go directly to the launch in time for a 9am departure. You will have to pay $8 for parking.
Gif and Josko....either Gif, you drive down with Josko and both kayaks in your truck and meet me at Bass River take out OR one of you drive down to meet me at the take out and the other can go directly to the launch.We need to meet there at 8am at the latest so we can get to the launch at 8.30. I can squeeze 4 kayaks on my truck and we will drive to the launch, leaving Gif OR Joskos vehicle at Bass River. I suggest we split all the parking fees 5 ways. When we finish, Deb, my wife, will meet us at Bass River and I can take 4 kayaks in my truck and the other kayak will be on Gif or Joskos vehicle.
I had planned to stop at a popular Ice Creamery after the paddle if anyone is interested so bear that in mind when deciding who is driving down to Bass river. Obviously whoever comes down to meet me in the a.m. will be able to just scoot home if they don't want to stop for dessert.
I roughly guesstimate our finish time to be 4pm ish or thereabouts...is that accurate enough ???
Let me know what you think. Tomorrow, Weds, I am going down to Bass River to check on the parking situation as I had originally planned on not paying there and have Deb pick us up. I think it is $15 per vehicle but only $7 if you use the ramp.The Take out is here....

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=smugglers ... 27423&z=13

The launch is here....http://maps.google.com/maps?q=194+Princ ... 27423&z=15

By the way, any times I quoted regarding tides and currents will be approx 1 hr later..
Let me know what you think Cheers Briggsy
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

Just got up and had a 10 mile bike ride under clear cloudless skies......so much for the forecast!!!
Briggsy
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

Smugglers Beach at the end of Bass River in Dennis cost $15 per vehicle and Prince cove Marina cost $8 per vehicle. Sea was calm and sun is out !!!!!
There are a few small landings on Bass river I've used before that are free but much less convenient for our purposes plus when we get to bass river the current will be flowing out.
Briggsy
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Briggsy, Norm and I will see you guys at the put in tomorrow. We plan to be there around 8:30 am with $$$ in pocket. Happy to split parking cost and glad you have found a good ice cream place.

Sun is out here too today!

Bea
Bea
gifallen

Post by gifallen »

Hi, looks like the skill session is still on for Thursday night. I have made a commitment to be there. That doesn't leave me with much time after the take out at Bass River. Plus, my back aint feeling too good after I hefted the damn loaded Explorer this morning. Bottom line is I will not be joining you. Sorry .. Gif
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

No worries Gif, rest up tomorrow!!
Josko is driving to meet at the put in and we will all ride back in my truck after ice cream.
So see you all at 8.30 tomorrow
Briggsy
norm

Post by norm »

gifallen wrote:Hi, looks like the skill session is still on for Thursday night. I have made a commitment to be there. That doesn't leave me with much time after the take out at Bass River. Plus, my back aint feeling too good after I hefted the damn loaded Explorer this morning. Bottom line is I will not be joining you. Sorry .. Gif

Gif,

There is no skills session this week. We're doing two weeks in a row at Hingham to get back in-line with the tides. Please don't go to Hanson tomorrow night. From the thread in the general forum, it sounds like attendance at Hingham might be small tomorrow because many are planning to do the Friday night paddle to the spit and then the Saturday paddle to the U.S.S. Salem.

Take care of yourself. Hope your back heals quick.

Norm