Cape Cod part 6. Weds 17th August 2011

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

Briggsy

Cape Cod part 6. Weds 17th August 2011

Post by Briggsy »

Weather permitting, the plan is to paddle from Smugglers Beach in Yarmouth to Stage Harbor in Chatham. The distance is around 13 miles but if conditions are good and there is time we could paddle over to Monomoy and cut back up the inside to Stage Harbor, this would make it a 19 mile (approx) trip.If you come be prepared for the longer trip... See map. This may involve a 2 to 3 mile "open water" stretch depending on where we decide to cut across to Monomoy. I don't think the paddle itself will be wildly scenic as its a straight shot along the beach but it will be fun in the Monomoy section if thats what we decide to do at the time. As usual Sea kayaks with bulkheads only, sprayskirts and some rescue skills.I plan on launching at 9am.
Let me know here by Monday 15th 10pm as I can't easily arrange shuttles after that. My wife, Deb, will help with the shuttle as long as there aren't too many people and I buy her ice cream after !
High tide for Stage Harbor is 3.07 pm so there should be plenty of water over the sand bars of Monomoy but we will have to push to get into Stage Harbor.
Cheers Briggsy
Attachments
ccpt6.jpg
ccpt6.jpg (98.52 KiB) Viewed 14685 times
norm

Re: Cape Cod part 6. Weds 17th August 2011

Post by norm »

I'll be there. Looking forward to it.

Norm
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Sorry to miss it! Enjoy Monomoy. That is such an awesome place to paddle! Looking forward to to pictures!
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
josko
antispam: No

Post by josko »

I'll plan to be there.
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Funny how life changes so quickly. I can make it after all!!!
Bea
norm

Post by norm »

NorwayLady wrote:Funny how life changes so quickly. I can make it after all!!!

Bea,

Glad you can make it! How about meeting at the Ski Market Lot at 7:00am.

Norm
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Thanks, Norm. See you at the Ski Market at 7:00 am.
Bea
rkhederian

Post by rkhederian »

It looks like I will probably be able to make this one (I will let you know tomorrow evening, Tuesday, if I cannot make it, otherwise assume I am coming).

Can you please send directions to the put-in. I am assuming we are meeting at 8:30 (for a 9 AM launch).

Also, how does "shuttling" work, are we able to load our kayaks onto the shuttle from Chatham back to Yarmouth?

Thank you,
Bob
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

Norm, Bea and Josko, to avoid paying for 2 vehicles to park at Smugglers Beach ($15 per vehicle) we can meet at last weeks take out at 8.30 for a 9am launch. (If Bob comes too it will add up to 3x$15 !! ) So that is the Bass river bridge on rt28 on the east side of the bridge. Tide will be going out so we should zip right out. See map for put in directions.
Bob I will give you my phone # in a pm so call me tomorrow and we will arrange something depending on your kayak. I can squeeze 5 kayaks on my truck if necessary and we drive slowly, ha ha !!! Deb my wife is dropping me at the put in and will pick us all up at Chatham.
Cheers Briggsy
ccpt6a.jpg
ccpt6a.jpg (131.54 KiB) Viewed 14608 times
ricso

Post by ricso »

Hello Briggsy,

I'm not sure if we have met before or not but my name is Ric Souza AKA "ricso", cell phone 508-572-3095, email rj_salty@yahoo,com

I have paddled with Bea a couple of times and contacted her to express interest in going with your group tomorrow. This trip is of interest to me and i have been wanting to paddle Monomoy but it seems the great whites have scared off most kayakers. Is it too late to get onto this ? I know shuttle transportation could be a problem. what time would you want me at the put in ?
I have an old but good fiberglass Skerray by Valley boats.
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Hi everyone.

Just called Ric to let him know that Briggsy has limited email access at work. Told Ric to check the forum after 10:00 pm tonight in case there were any new updates....

Bea
Bea
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

Ric, I work long hours leaving home at 8.30am and returning at 10.30/11.00pm and have no internet access at work which is why I set a deadline so we can arrange shuttles. I just got your message at 10.20pm Tuesday and at this late stage I'm sorry that there is nothing I can arrange for you.
If you really want to go to Monomoy, as far as I understand, there are no sharks on the Nantucket Sound side, and if you posted a trip plan to see who was interested I'm sure you will get a few people. Norm and I have both posted Trip reports from Monomoy so check them out. I have no plans to paddle down that way right now but you never know!!
I'm sorry you will have to miss out but keep an eye on the Upcoming trips or post your own. My first trip posting was Monomoy, last year, and I hadn't been there before!!
Take Care and hope to see you soon
Briggsy
ricso

Post by ricso »

Okay, I knew it was a bit of a long shot at this late time, but i thought I'd try. Will keep an eye out for futuer postings. Have a great trip !

Ric