Mattapoisett Harbor - Saturday, 9/3/11 - 11:00am

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

norm

Mattapoisett Harbor - Saturday, 9/3/11 - 11:00am

Post by norm »

Launch from Ned's Point. Meet at 11:00am and launch at 11:30. I have not been here before and I don't really have any plan on where to go. Probably just want to do 8 to 13 miles of paddling. Hope to have more of a plan by tomorrow evening. Suggestions or participation from somebody more knowledgeable about the area is very welcome!

Will probably be out there for 3 to 4 hours including a stop for lunch.

Wet exit/Rescue skills are required.
I would recommend at least a 15 foot boat.
Ability to paddle over 10 miles

Please reply if you plan to attend and include whether you know the area or not. Also, maybe a few of us could carpool.

A Google Maps link to the location of the Ned's Point launch site: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=50+ned%27 ... 0&t=h&z=16
Last edited by norm on Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cgr

Re: Mattapoisett Harbor - Saturday, 9/3/11 - 11:00am

Post by cgr »

From Neds to West Island & back is about 12 miles I think. There is a trip report somewhere on it.
KenW
antispam: No

Post by KenW »

Norm,
I have not paddled this area so I don't have anything to contribute to the trip planning, but I plan on joining you Saturday.
Ken
centered

Post by centered »

Hi Norm,
Power's back, finally. I was starting to feel like a mushroom;p See you Sat. @11a.
Oh, but I will be staying on the Cape with no internet, so if plans change, please call! Thanks so much!
Sue
nchill

Post by nchill »

Norm,

The trip across the bay from Ned's Point to the closest part of West Island is a little under 4 miles. It is open water for the most part, except for the crossing of Mattapoinsett harbor, which may be busy on Saturday. A lot of the area in Mattapoisett and Fairhaven in the area of Little Bay and Nasketucket Bay is undeveloped conservation land. The entire east side of West Island is undeveloped and beautiful, as is a great portion of the east side of Sconticut Neck. By traveling across open water for so much of your trip you will not be able to appreciate the shoreline which usually has lots of birds (including the American Oyster Catcher) and nice sandy beaches.

If your intent is to do a quick paddle across open water and have a stop on a beach on West Island for lunch, the trip is short enough and nice enough. If you want to enjoy the pretty shoreline you could make the trip longer by going up into Little Bay before heading along the east side of Sconticut Neck, head out to West Island, making your return trip via open water, crossing behind or in front of Ram Island on the way back. That adds quite a bit to the route, making it between 12-15 miles. To enjoy this area, an option would be to launch at the state boat launch on Sconticut Neck, Fairhaven, off Seaview Ave and explore the coastal area with more time to paddle the length of West Island on its pretty east side. Another option (with free parking as of tomorrow!) would be to drive out to the very end of West Island to the town beach and carry across a short dune/beach area to launch into a rocky area. From there, a trip up the east side of West Island, all the way into Little Bay and back to the launch would be about 10 miles. It's such a pretty area, it is a shame to miss it by staying out in the middle of the bay! High Tide is around 1:00 PM, so you should be able to get into the "pond" on West Island. You will see it on a chart in the southeastern part of the island. It is a nice area for viewing birds and its entrance is surrounded by nice beaches. There should be little boat traffic in the area.

I may be able to join you, but not sure just yet.

-Nancy
norm

Post by norm »

Nancy,

Thanks for all the info. I hope you can join us. With the people that I know are coming and the wind forecast, I'm a little concerned about the open water crossing and may just stay in Mattapoisett Harbor this time. I think the forecast was for much less wind a few weeks ago when I went from Marion out to Bird Island and there was quite a bit of chop, so I'm afraid it might be even worse chop with the wind forecast over 10mph. I think I'll be satisfied to check out the Mattapoisett shoreline this time and will try other spots after the Labor Day parking restrictions are lifted.

I did a West Island trip with the AMC earlier this year. I know there's still a lot for me to see in Nasketucket Bay, but I realize it may be better to launch from a different spot than Ned's Point for that area if you want to avoid rounding Mattapoisett Neck in the strong afternoon southwesterlies.

Thanks,
Norm
nchill

Post by nchill »

Norm,

Buzzards Bay is known for chop and afternoon wind. I lived down there for many years and my husband and I had a formula for figuring out the wind speed. What we did was take the range; say 5-10 mph winds forecast and add them together for 15 mph. steady. That seemed pretty reliable! Freetogoyaking and I went down to Ned's point earlier this year and did the shoreline route to Little Bay, crossed to West Island and back across the bay to Ned's point via Ram Island. We had afternoon winds in the high teens, gusting to 27 mph on the way back to Ned's Point from West Island and it made for some excitement with very surfable waves until they were knocked down in the shallows off the northern end of Ram Island. It's a great area on the right day with the right route. It's best to try to get out early and take advantage of the building SW winds on the way home (if launching from Ned's). I'll pass on the opportunity to paddle in the harbor as it's a long drive for me. Have a great day. I'll look forward to paddling with you in that area some other time.

BTW, there is a great website for West Island weather and other interesting facts about the island:

http://www.westislandweather.com/

-Nancy
norm

Post by norm »

nchill wrote:BTW, there is a great website for West Island weather and other interesting facts about the island:

http://www.westislandweather.com/

-Nancy

Thanks!!! That is a great website. I love the old history stuff. It always amazes me how much coastal defense work was built during WW2. I'd like to visit that tower next time I paddle to West Island. It would be interesting to see the area from a vantage point higher than 2 feet off the water. I didn't have time to check out much of the website yet, but I'm hoping it says the tower is open to visitors.
nchill

Post by nchill »

Norm,

I don't think you can get into the tower on West Island. It has always been locked when I was there. I remember going into the tower in Duxbury many years ago when I believe it was for sale. It was so long ago that I could be confusing it with somewhere else, although I know I was in an old WW II tower somewhere in Massachusetts. It had been made into living space by someone. It would be nice if the West Island tower were opened up occasionally for visitors. I did not ever hear of that happening when I lived there, but never thought to inquire about it.

-Nancy
rkhederian

Post by rkhederian »

Norm, I am going to join you.

Bob
cgr

Post by cgr »

Nancy,
That tower turned into residence is in Marshfield, just north of Duxbury beach.
mokel

Post by mokel »

Hi Norm,
I would like to join you this morning. I've never kayaked there so I don't know the area either. See you later.

Maureen