Charles River Run (backwards) Sunday Sept 18

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

SteveH
antispam: No

Charles River Run (backwards) Sunday Sept 18

Post by SteveH »

If interested, I will be taking the following trip with two friends and we would love to have more join us.

Put in at Morrissey Blvd boat ramp (near gas tank at 9:00am launch) there is plenty of parking.
Paddle north around Castle Island, past the NE Aquarium and toward the locks almost beneath the Zakim bridge.
Pass through the locks and stop for snack/lunch at North Park, ~ 7 mile mark- looks like there is a dock for easy take out or go a tad further up near the Esplanade - we can decide when we get there.
Continue to paddle up river to take out at Herter Park Brighton - off Soldier field road. (~2:00pm) Plenty of parking here too.

The reason I chose to go up river was to avoide the afternoon harbor winds. This past Sunday it was pretty windy out there early afternoon.

We plan to load 3 yaks on my truck and head straight to drop off a take-out vehicle with three sets of J-bars for the return trip. If others are going to carpool and want snag a ride back to the put in after delivering their drop off car I can fit two more bodies into my truck. This obviously requires you to leave someone behind to watch your boats at the put in and me to be notifed to swing by and get you at the boat ramp.

More timing/details to follow...

Wet exit/Rescue skills are required.
Ability to paddle ~13 miles

--Steve
Rick W

Re: Charles River Run (backwards) Sunday Sept 18

Post by Rick W »

Can we stop at the Chart House for Chowda. If we keep this up I'm going to have to teach the wife how to start the lawnmower.
Rick
norm

Post by norm »

This sounds like an interesting trip. I may want to join you. I'll get back to you later in the week. Hopefully others will be interested and we can set up more shuttle vehicles. I can carry 3 boats on my truck (Yukon XL) and four or five people inside.

One way trips can be a logistics hassle but it's nice to not have to back-track. It looks like you have a pretty good plan on this one! And I've heard other people talk about wanting to paddle this area.

Norm
centered

Post by centered »

Hi,
I, too, am interested in this trip and would love to go. I can only carry 1 kayak on my very small car, but if it can be worked out shuttle-wise, I'm in.
Thanks,
Sue
norm

Post by norm »

centered wrote:Hi,
I, too, am interested in this trip and would love to go. I can only carry 1 kayak on my very small car, but if it can be worked out shuttle-wise, I'm in.
Thanks,
Sue

Sue - we could probably car-pool if I'm able to go on this trip. I'm in Abington.

Norm
centered

Post by centered »

I was thinking that, too. We can decide on a meeting place when you're sure you're going.
Thanks for the offer.
Sue
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

This trip interest me too! I keep an eye on the forum for updates. Thank you for posting, Steve.
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
aliclift

Post by aliclift »

Hi Steve,
I am interested too but will need to work out the pick up part--can only carry one boat. Could leave the car at the put in and watch the other boats if someone can give me and my boat a lift back there after the trip. I have the Wilderness System Zephyr 155 . Live in Chelsea . almost under the Tobin. Its possible that I could meet up with you before the locks? will need to look at a map but that will cut off quite a bit of the paddle.
Ali
Chip

Post by Chip »

I am very interested in this one. I will have to check my work schedule.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Sue do you have J-bars to carry your boat? If so, I'm thinking you could simply move them to Ali's racks (the standard minivan racks J-bars easily connect to). Ali has a Thule Glide and Set (or something similar) that may be harder to move. If all true, Sue could watch the boats while we bring Ali back from dropping off her car.

Norm, your vehilcle would be a great one to have at takeout to pick up some of the slack.

--Steve
norm

Post by norm »

I have the go-ahead to join this trip! That nagging feeling I had that there was something else scheduled turned out to be an event for my wife, not for me, so I'm free to attend.

I could probably bring Bea and Sue from the South Shore, leave them with the boats at the gas tanks and go to the take-out with my truck and hitch a ride back with somebody else if that works. I don't think you want to leave a single person alone with the boats - that gets lonely.
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

I'll be happy to watch the boats. I never get lonely......
Bea
Aquaholic

Post by Aquaholic »

Don't know what happened to my original post, so I'll try again:

Steve,
I'm interested in joining this trip. Norm, any chance you could fit another boat on your truck.
I'm about 30 min from you in Abington and would like to car-pool.

Audrey
norm

Post by norm »

NorwayLady wrote:I'll be happy to watch the boats. I never get lonely......

I don't think the art work on the gas tanks will match the artwork you just visited in Barcelona!
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Ali, we have sitters for your boat so we can work you into the car shuttle trip. I think I may need to get a spreadsheet going to keep track of this event. It's great to see this level of interest.

--Steve
centered

Post by centered »

Steve, I don't have J-bars, I have a roller at the back and cradle-type thingies up front. I am on the look-out for a used pair of J-bars, though, for this reason. Plus, I have 2 bike carriers on the rack, making it pretty cramped.
Sue
norm

Post by norm »

Aquaholic wrote:Don't know what happened to my original post, so I'll try again:

Steve,
I'm interested in joining this trip. Norm, any chance you could fit another boat on your truck.
I'm about 30 min from you in Abington and would like to car-pool.

Audrey

Audrey - I don't think I can get a 4th boat onto my truck, but if Chip is able to attend, maybe Bea could car-pool with him if he's alone. They're both closer to route 3. Then maybe it makes sense for you and Sue to car-pool with me since you both have small cars.

Steve - Having fun with shuttling plans yet?
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

I can fit two boats of my car. Happy to pick up Chip! You guys are better at logistics than me, so just tell me what to do. Anything is fine.....
Bea
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Looking ok so far and we have a bit of wiggle room left. I'm less concerened about carpools than having the the correct amount of boat positions for pickup and shuttle seats. Remember there is plenty of parking on both ends. We should plan to have the boats unloaded by the gas tank by 8:00am so we have time for shuttle duty and make our 9:00am launch time.
CharlesRiverPlan.jpg
CharlesRiverPlan.jpg (115.01 KiB) Viewed 35331 times
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Yikes, I guess no one will be calling that an eye chart...
Aquaholic

Post by Aquaholic »

Norm,

Thanks, that would work out great! And thanks, Bea for giving up your car-pool spot with Norm and for picking up Chip. I'll be happy to stay and guard the boats. What time do you want me to be at your house Norm?

Audrey
norm

Post by norm »

Aquaholic wrote:Norm,
Thanks, that would work out great! And thanks, Bea for giving up your car-pool spot with Norm and for picking up Chip. I'll be happy to stay and guard the boats. What time do you want me to be at your house Norm?
Audrey

Audrey - 7:00am at my house, or maybe a couple minutes before, would be great.

Sue - Do you want to meet at my house too? Not sure where in EB you live, but Abington is probably on your way to Boston.

I'll send you both my address in a PM.
aliclift

Post by aliclift »

Hi Steve.

Now I am really confused !!LOL
Guess that I need a time to drop off the boat and figure in how long it will take to get to Herter Park and what time
the shuttle cars will be heading back to the put in?
Thanks,
Ali
norm

Post by norm »

Steve,

Another question about the take-out spot, for clarification. I know many of us will be planning to meet at the put-in first and dropping off boats and people, but I was wondering which parking lot we'll be using on Soldiers Field Road for the take-out. I checked out the lots near the CRCK boat rental kiosk in the spring and spoke with them. They said they don't mind people using their launch area as long as people don't loiter around too long, (worried about people mingling with their gear I presume). But you've mentioned Herter Park which looks like it's further along...I didn't go that far and see that lot. Is there a good launch/take-out at Herter Park, or is the CRCK kiosk area also Herter Park?

On this Google Maps link, Herter Park is at "A" and looks like a nice big parking lot. The CRCK Kiosk is at "B" and it has a good lot and had a nice launch area (in the spring). There's another lot at "C" that I don't believe had as good river access.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Unkno ... 6&t=h&z=16

Which spot are you planning to use for the take-out?

Thanks for all the planning,
Norm
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Norm, I chose Herter Park as I did not think CRCK would like us taking up their spots. "A" does mark the spot I was thinking of! I liked the huge lot and figured we would have no issues there. There is supposed to be a boat ramp but I could not see it from google. You can however see a dock along the waters edge - follow the path from the lot(right hand side) past the gardens and you will see it. Sound ok? Other thoughts?

All, if you are traveling in one of the take-out vehicles you need to be at the launch site (gas tank) by 8:00AM, so we can unload and get them ready for shuttle to the take out. If you are driving yourself to the put in and your vehicle is not being used for take out, then you need to be at the launch site for 9:00AM. I don't believe this last sentence applies to anyone so far.

Don't worry about the shuttle trip to Herter. From the feedback in the postings we will all be meeting at the gas tanks to drop off the boats, so we can form a convoy and get lost together on soldier field road ;-)

--Steve
norm

Post by norm »

Ok, I'm fine with whatever you choose for the take-out. Just wanted to get it set up in my GPS ahead of time.

It looks like they have regular Sunday afternoon events at Herter Park, but I don't know how popular or busy they get. See article: http://calendar.boston.com/boston-ma/ev ... land-games

I just look for these issues because I showed up for a trip on the Charles in the spring and found the parking lot we planned to launch at closed and full of porta-potties for a hunger walk event. Also, just last Saturday morning at City Point, we arrived to temporary No Parking signs. Lucky for us it was dated for the next day and we were able to park there no problem.

Also, it looks like there's a lagoon around the theater area that connects to the river. It's more visible if you use the Google Earth historical imagery and go back to the December 2004 view of the park.
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Norm, the games look to be from 2-5 PM, so we should be good. Also there are potential spots nearby, as you also pointed out on your map, that we could fall back on if we run into a block at Herter. You make a good point about being careful selecting a meeting place and the good thing is we will all be together, so moving a bit on one direction or another should not be an issue -as long as we can locate the vehicles from the water ;-)

--Steve
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Happy Friday all,

Paul dropped out, so Ali will be shuttle driver and my truck will now go to the take-out. We have 8 paddlers and 8 boat positions using Norm's, Bea's and my vehicle, AND precisely 4 seats in Ali's car to shuttle us back. At the end of the trip I will swing Ali back to the gas tank with her boat.

Please let me know if there are any other changes. For last minute changes please call my cell 617-592-6927

--Steve
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Anyone know if Chip is going???
Bea
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

He never got back to the thread - I assumed he was chatting with you or Norm offline.

See you all at 8:00am - the boat ramp near the painted gas tank

--Steve
Chip

Post by Chip »

Sorry guys. I. am out
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

OK, Chip. We'll miss you.

I'll be at the launch at 8:00 am. Looking forward to it.

Bea
Bea
norm

Post by norm »

Sorry you can't make it Chip.

Bea and Steve - I've lost track of the boat capacity of the vehicles. I can carry a fourth boat back from the take-out to the put-in at the end of the day if needed, but I can only carry 3 people. I would put the fourth boat inside my Yukon XL with it sticking out the tailgate.

Sue and Audrey are meeting me at my house a little before 7:00. We'll see everybody at the gas tank at 8:00am.

Norm
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

As long as Bea is driving to the launch we will be good. I'm sure we can make it work and fine tune the details tomorrow morning. Sorry you can't make it Chip.

Again, I can be reached at 617-592-6927 tomorrow morning if you run into issues.

--Steve
norm

Post by norm »

That was a great trip Steve. Thanks for organizing it.

For the curious, I figured out who the sea kayakers were that we saw launch and pass in front of us at City Point. It was a group of NSPN paddlers. I looked on their website and saw that they had a trip out to the Brewsters with a launch time of 9:30 from City Point.
aliclift

Post by aliclift »

It was a good trip ..Thanks
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

norm wrote:That was a great trip Steve. Thanks for organizing it.

For the curious, I figured out who the sea kayakers were that we saw launch and pass in front of us at City Point. It was a group of NSPN paddlers. I looked on their website and saw that they had a trip out to the Brewsters with a launch time of 9:30 from City Point.

Those guys were over by Spectacle in no time despite the strong headwind! Wonder if they made it all the way out to the Brewsters. It was pretty choppy out there........
Bea
centered

Post by centered »

Thanks to Steve for the great idea/planning, and to Norm for driving. I had a blast! It's nice to see the city from such a vantage point, especially from under the Zakim.
norm

Post by norm »

NorwayLady wrote:
norm wrote:That was a great trip Steve. Thanks for organizing it.

Those guys were over by Spectacle in no time despite the strong headwind! Wonder if they made it all the way out to the Brewsters. It was pretty choppy out there........

Bea - yes they made it to the Brewsters, but did not attempt the Graves. There's a trip report on their site.
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Thank you all for joining. It was really nice to get to know you all a little more. Rick and I were happy we managed to keep up with our little boats - thanks for going easy on us.

I will get the trip report started tomorrow evening hopefully.

--Steve