Plymouth Harbor, Nelson Beach - Saturday - 10:00am Launch

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

norm

Plymouth Harbor, Nelson Beach - Saturday - 10:00am Launch

Post by norm »

Gotta get out on the water and take advantage of another beautiful weather forecast!!!

High tide in Plymouth is at 11:26am, winds about 7mph from the west, air temp at 10:00am should be about 55 degrees and headed for 60.

We don't have a plan on which way to go...will figure that out when we get there. Sue and I are planning to meet at Nelson Beach and launch at 10:00am to paddle for a few hours. Maybe we can head out to Saquish but maybe we should stay away from the current if it's just two of us. The tide is going to be very high, 12.67 feet, so there might not be much exposed beach out there.

Here is a Google map link to Nelson Beach:
http://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=41.967771,-70.672134&hl=en&ll=41.966191,-70.672925&spn=0.010722,0.029826&sll=41.965968,-70.672925&sspn=0.011152,0.029826&vpsrc=0&mra=mift&mrsp=1&sz=16&t=h&z=16

We'll probably paddle 10 to 15 miles. We'll stop for a lunch break on a beach somewhere.

Wet exit/Rescue skills are required.
I would recommend at least a 15 foot boat.
Ability to paddle 10-15 miles.
Proper clothing and gear for cold water and air temps required!

Please reply if you plan to attend.
Birdseye

Re: Plymouth Harbor, Nelson Beach - Saturday - 10:00am Launc

Post by Birdseye »

Keep your eyes peeled for a crimson sail while you're out there.
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
norm

Post by norm »

Birdseye wrote:Keep your eyes peeled for a crimson sail while you're out there.

Didn't see any crimson sails out there. Not enough wind?

It was beautiful for paddling!
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Norm, you're my hero. I'm hoping I can get some decent cold weather gear for next season. Kills me to sit here weekend after weekend while you guys are out there enjoying this great weather.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
norm

Post by norm »

Pat - we've actually been cheating a little, not wearing dry suits because we've only been going out in calm conditions with little chance of a swim. Sue, Bea and I all have the Kokatat dry pants with booties which are much cheaper than the full suit (about $125 on sale). Sue has a drytop, Bea has a semi-drytop and I've been using a splash jacket. Sue and Bea have hydroskin layers underneath and I've just been using poly shirts and pants for warmth. Bea actually tested her gear at the cold water clinic we went to. She said there was a little leakage, but not too bad. Sue has ordered a drysuit because she plans on doing more aggressive paddling in the spring and plans to swim.

I wish you could have joined us out there yesterday. It was incredibly clear. Everything looked so close. We went across past Bug Light and then over into the marsh behind Gurnet Light. The tide was so high we went straight across the marsh area where you normally have to weave through the creek. We stopped at Duxbury beach for lunch. Then we went straight across to the Standish Monument and back to Plymouth. I always swing into the harbor to see the Mayflower and the Rock, so we did that before we finished for the day. We did a casual 14 miles or so.

Ron stopped by in the morning on his way to camp to say hi before we launched. He said his boat is put away for the season though.

I'll do a trip report, but probably won't be able to get it done till later in the week.
Chip

Post by Chip »

Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

I like the idea of a drysuit a lot better than a wetsuit. Wetsuits all seem to be designed for a 25-year-old body that hasn't been drinking beer for over 40 years.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
norm

Post by norm »

Chip wrote:Hi Norm,
Is this what you have?

http://www.outdoorplay.com/Kokatat-Temp ... ategory=43

Yes, that looks like the ones I have but I don't recall the price being that much. I got them at the Kittery Trading Post Kayak Expo in the spring and I thought they were more in the price range of $125. I'll have to see if I still have the tags or receipt because now I'm curious about what I paid. I was out of control spending that day, so I might have paid $150. The show has 10 or 15 percent off everything.

Bea and Sue both have the same ones and they got them more recently but I don't know how much they paid. I think Bea got hers at CRCK and Sue got hers on-line somewhere.
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Chip.

I got mine at CRCK at their end of the season sale. At 15% off I paid $140-145... It was really nice to get a chance to try them on before buying them. Also got a chance to test them at the Cold Water clinic. They held up nicely with hydroskins under.

Bea
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
cgr

Post by cgr »

TraceyJ

Post by TraceyJ »

Thanks Chris,

That's the cheapest that I've seen them.

Tracey
Valley Aquanaut / white-on-white
P&H Delphin 150 Surf / Yellow