Good Friday - Weymouth to Long Island - 4/6/12 - 9:30am

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

norm

Good Friday - Weymouth to Long Island - 4/6/12 - 9:30am

Post by norm »

The weather forecast is for temps about 50 Friday and high tide is at about 11:30am. Stock market is closed so I have the day off and schools are closed so Sue has the day off.

The plan is to meet at Lanes Beach, 40 River Street in North Weymouth at about 9:30am. Launch by 10:00am. From there we can launch on the bay side from the beach or on the Weymouth Back River side from the boat ramp. We'll decide by the wind and temp and number of participants when we get there.

The preferred trip will be to head out to Fort Strong on the end of Long Island and then to Spectacle Island if the weather cooperates. I'd like to check out Fort Strong before the City of Boston starts using Camp Harbor View and does not allow visitors to that area of the island. Then, also possibly hike to the top of Spectacle Island.

If the weather is too rough, we could head left into the Quincy Town River and Fore River or from the ramp side we could go into the Weymouth Back River.

Either way, I hope to do 12 to 16 miles.

Wet exit/Rescue skills are required.
I would recommend at least a 15 foot boat.
Ability to paddle 12-16 miles.
Proper clothing and gear for cold water and air temps required!

Please reply if you plan to attend.
Sandy V
antispam: No

Re: Good Friday - Weymouth to Long Island - 4/6/12 - 9:30am

Post by Sandy V »

I switched my day off - so I'm in!!!!
Don't think I've ever launched from Weymouth, but the address is there, so I should find it.
Sandy
norm

Post by norm »

Glad you can make it Sandy!

That address should work well in a GPS I believe. It was derived using Google maps if you want to print a hard-copy as a backup or get a picture of what it looks like via the street view.

Don't forget to bring a lunch - we'll be making a full day of it.

Norm
norm

Post by norm »

This trip went off pretty much as planned except we skipped Spectacle Island and stopped at Rainsford instead. Too much wind to go the extra distance. We succeeded in hiking around Fort Strong on Long and the eastern drumlin of Rainsford. 2 more items crossed off this year's bucket list. Took plenty of pictures, 359, so the trip report will not be completed for quite a while - got too much to do to prepare for next weekend's camping trip too.

For those who have not heard, I bought a Cetus HV this week and used it for this trip. I absolutely love it!

Thank you Sue for coming out even with a soar throat and cough - I hope the salt air helped and you feel better today.

Thank you Sandy for switching your work day to join us. I like having at least 3 people on a cold water trip.
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

I was thinking of you guys all day. Glad you had a great day, and that you LOVE your new boat, Norm. Looking forward to the pictures!

Bea
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
gifallen

Post by gifallen »

Hi Norm, Congrats on the new boat. At the Kittery show, the PH guys said I should trade the my Explorer in for a Cetus, it being a great, fun boat that does everything well.
norm

Post by norm »

gifallen wrote:Hi Norm, Congrats on the new boat. At the Kittery show, the PH guys said I should trade the my Explorer in for a Cetus, it being a great, fun boat that does everything well.

Well, if you want to join the Yellow Cetus sub-chapter of the Wild Turkey Paddlers, I got an email from Carl Ladd at Osprey Sea Kayak that he has one available that just arrived in the U.S. I got mine at Charles River because they had the color I wanted but only had one HV. I grabbed it quick so I wouldn't have to wait 4-6 months for the "right" color and then I got the email from Carl that he had one coming in soon.

After one day of paddling, I'd have to agree with John Carmody, the guy you probably spoke with, it does everything well.
gifallen

Post by gifallen »

:mrgreen: