Duxbury Bay to Saquish - Saturday May 12

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

Aquaholic

Duxbury Bay to Saquish - Saturday May 12

Post by Aquaholic »

A few of us that aren't going to the Cape can't pass up the wonderful weather forecast for tomorrow, so we plan to launch at 9am from Powder Point Bridge in Duxbury and paddle along the bay side of Long Island then follow it out to Saquish Neck. If the conditions are calm, continue on around the neck and paddle along the beach on the outside of the neck toward Gurnet Light. We will stop for a lunch break then head back, maybe around Clarks Island if boat traffic is light.

This should be about a 10 mile trip, 4-5 hours. Tide is low at about 12:00pm. Forecast is sunshine, temps in the 70s and a west wind of 8 mph. Bring sunscreen, water, lunch etc.

Wet exit/Rescue skills and a sprayskirt are required.
I would recommend at least a 15 foot boat.
Ability to paddle 10 miles.

Please post here if you are interested.

Audrey and Maureen
Audrey
P&H Cetus LV
norm

Re: Duxbury Bay to Saquish - Saturday May 12

Post by norm »

Audrey - Great to see multiple trip options posted for the same day. Love to see all the activity on the website!

Have a great time out there tomorrow. I hope some more people can join you.

Norm
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Audrey, I was ready to sign up for this one, but I've already got plans to visit my mother tomorrow. That's the problem with marriages and two moms - gotta spread 'em out over the weekend.

This sounds like it'd be just my speed, too, for this early in the season.

Good luck!!
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Aquaholic

Post by Aquaholic »

Sorry you can't make it, Pat!
Fortunately, the season is just beginning (for some of us!), so I'm sure I'll see you out on the water soon.

Audrey
Audrey
P&H Cetus LV
Mark

Post by Mark »

I plan to be paddling in Duxbury Bay tomorrow afternoon (fishing.) I will put in at the boat ramp that I can't remember the name of around noon/low tide and probably paddle out toward Clarke's. I may see you at some point. Look for the tiger-striped sea kayak and a fishing pole.

Mark
mtnbiker26
antispam: No

Post by mtnbiker26 »

I'd be interested in paddling with you folks if I'm invited. I haven't been to Duxbury yet and I'd like to learn the area. I have a 16 foot boat and all the required accessories. I just started paddling in August so my rough water skills are still undeveloped but it sounds like the waters should be calm tomorrow. Feel free to ask me any questions you want.

~Greg
Aquaholic

Post by Aquaholic »

Mark wrote:I plan to be paddling in Duxbury Bay tomorrow afternoon (fishing.) I will put in at the boat ramp that I can't remember the name of around noon/low tide and probably paddle out toward Clarke's. I may see you at some point. Look for the tiger-striped sea kayak and a fishing pole.

Mark

Ok, we will look for you, Mark!

Audrey
Audrey
P&H Cetus LV
Aquaholic

Post by Aquaholic »

mtnbiker26 wrote:I'd be interested in paddling with you folks if I'm invited. I haven't been to Duxbury yet and I'd like to learn the area. I have a 16 foot boat and all the required accessories. I just started paddling in August so my rough water skills are still undeveloped but it sounds like the waters should be calm tomorrow. Feel free to ask me any questions you want.

~Greg

Greg,

You're certainly welcome to join us. Duxbury Bay is shallow and can get choppy if there's a lot of wind. If the forecast holds, we won't have a problem. The trip can be modified based on conditions and what everyone is comfortable with.
PM me and I will give you my cell phone number in case you need it.

Audrey
Audrey
P&H Cetus LV
mtnbiker26

Post by mtnbiker26 »

Cool, thanks. Mild to moderate chop and swell shouldn't be a problem for me. Most of my experience is in calm rivers but I've been to Sakonnet Point a few times so I have a tiny bit of experience with rock gardening and surfing some really small waves. Breaking waves still knock me over, though. I can self rescue alone or T-rescue as well. I just don't have a lot of confidence yet so paddling in a group helps reduce my stress level. I'll bring a spare paddle and extra clothing in dry bags. Where exactly is the meeting spot?

~Greg
ddempesy

Post by ddempesy »

Would love to join !
What time people meeting?
What time BIB?
Deb
Cetus LV
Deb
Plymouth
Cetus LV - Turquoise over White
Aquaholic

Post by Aquaholic »

Deb,

Glad to have you along! We are meeting at 9 am and want to be on the water as soon after as possible as low tide is 11:45.

Audrey
Audrey
P&H Cetus LV
Aquaholic

Post by Aquaholic »

mtnbiker26 wrote:Cool, thanks. Mild to moderate chop and swell shouldn't be a problem for me. Most of my experience is in calm rivers but I've been to Sakonnet Point a few times so I have a tiny bit of experience with rock gardening and surfing some really small waves. Breaking waves still knock me over, though. I can self rescue alone or T-rescue as well. I just don't have a lot of confidence yet so paddling in a group helps reduce my stress level. I'll bring a spare paddle and extra clothing in dry bags. Where exactly is the meeting spot?

~Greg

Ok, that's good to know. I sent you a PM with my cell nbr and directions. We plan to arrive by 9 and to be in our boats by 9:30 am at the latest, so if you are going to be later than that, call me. Otherwise, we'll think you are not coming. Dress for cold water and bring food for lunch.

Audrey
Audrey
P&H Cetus LV
mtnbiker26

Post by mtnbiker26 »

I'll be there at 9:00. I received your PM as well so I have your number.