Circumnavigate Naushon island 5/28

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

josko
antispam: No

Circumnavigate Naushon island 5/28

Post by josko »

Not sure whether this adds to or competes with the Washburn camping trip, but here goes:

I notice tides are ideal on 5/28 (Falmouth low @ 11:10) for a trip from Woods Hole down the Elizabeth islands chain and back. Tide should be with us both ways. Long range weather forecasts are favorable, too. My plan is to leave Woods Hole from the yacht club at 830 or 900. We can go down to Robinson's hole for a 16 mile round trip or push a little further out to Quicks hole or Canapitsit, depending on how the group feels.
Last edited by josko on Mon May 21, 2012 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
norm

Re: Circumnavigate Naushon island 6/28

Post by norm »

Josko - do you have the date wrong? Should this be 5/28?
josko

Re: Circumnavigate Naushon island 6/28

Post by josko »

Thanks Norm,

I corrected it to 5/28.
norm

Re: Circumnavigate Naushon island 5/28

Post by norm »

Josko - the trip does sound enticing, but the timing could be tough for those of us that don't live on the Cape. It's a 63 mile drive one way for me which is no big deal, but the thought of the potentially horrible traffic on the drive home after a 16 to 20 mile paddle is a bit worrisome.

Another question people might have is: do you have a place that people could park and if so, how many vehicles could you accommodate?
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

Sagamore Bridge is now open 2 lanes each way and will be till Labor Day when they will start again. But traffic will be bad leaving the Cape Monday from lunchtime onwards. I get out of work at 10.30 pm and there are usually still lines backed up........
just for your info
Briggsy
noseykate

Post by noseykate »

I too had put this out of consideration because of return-drive traffic. Sounds like a good paddling trip though.

NK
josko

Post by josko »

Parking should not be an issue for 3-4 cars on Spring Bars rd. (next to the WH yacht club) by 0830 or so in the morning. If more cars are likely, I'd propose we leave from Trunk River parking lot on Vineyard sound, where stickers are not required and there should be plenty of space. We can also shuttle cars from the yacht club to my house, <1 mile away.

I hadn't thought of traffic issue for those off Cape - sorry. However, traffic heading up out of Falmouth (on Rt 28) is not nearly as bad as that heading back on Rt 6.