Monday, 5/28/12, Noon - Hingham to Mid Boston Harbor Islands

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

norm

Monday, 5/28/12, Noon - Hingham to Mid Boston Harbor Islands

Post by norm »

I'd like to paddle Monday and I know of a couple other people that are available and might be interested. There are Memorial Day parades and potential traffic issues in the late afternoon, so I'm going to be selfish and choose a launch spot that has no parade, good parking and I can reach via back roads and avoid highways - good old Hingham Harbor. I'm also traveling a lot this Sunday so I'm choosing a late start on Monday in case I get home late. A late start also avoids dead low tide at 11:26am.

So, I'd like to meet at noon and launch at about 12:30.

Depending on who shows up, weather conditions, and how everybody feels, I'd like to propose two trip options. First, a longer trip out to Great Brewster Island which would be about 17.5 miles. The second option would be a shorter trip out and around Peddocks Island.

Here is a picture of the two options with the longer route in red and the shorter route in yellow.

Wet exit/Rescue skills are required.
I would recommend at least a 15 foot boat.
Ability to paddle 12 to 18 miles.
The water is still a little cold when you get offshore - proper clothing for cool water temps recommended.

Please respond if you plan to attend.

Norm
wildwoman

Re: Monday, 5/28/12, Noon - Hingham to Mid Boston Harbor Isl

Post by wildwoman »

Boston Harbor Islands, Part Deux.

Count me in, Norm. I can't believe I'll get to do them all in one weekend.

Thanks!
Barb
pam
antispam: No

Post by pam »

Hi, Norm. I would love to join in, if possible. This will be my first paddle this season, so I will guage myself and split off and do the shorter route if I feel unready for the longer trip, if that's OK.
Of course, I'm hoping to feel good for the longer route! ... Pam
norm

Post by norm »

Pam - it's not a good idea to paddle alone out in the harbor this time of year. The water is still chilly when you get away from the shore, so it's best to have at least one other person with you to help get you back into your boat quickly in the case of a problem. That being said, I know you're a strong paddler and can make your own decisions.

Since this trip is starting so late in the day, I'm not sure we'll be able to do the longer version anyway because of the multiple crossings of the busy channel near Boston Light. My experience is that the afternoon traffic and chop that it kicks up makes the channel crossing difficult and no fun at all. So, it will have to be uncommonly calm to attempt the trip to Great Brewster.

If we do consider an attempt at the longer version and you don't feel up to it, maybe there will be another paddler that will also want to make the trip shorter.

See you Monday,
Norm
wildwoman

Post by wildwoman »

Norm and Pam,

I have to cancel for Monday, I'm still tired from Saturday, which was fabulous.

See you next time.
Barb