4th of July, Constitution Salute, Spectacle Island - 8:30am

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

norm

4th of July, Constitution Salute, Spectacle Island - 8:30am

Post by norm »

Had this all typed up last night and my laptop hung before I hit submit...I hate Microsoft :evil:

The trip out to Spectacle Island to see the tall ships cruise in from Deer Island on Saturday was a success, so I'd like to do it again for the Constitution turnaround on the 4th of July.

Here is what the schedule says will be happening: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. - USS Constitution's turnaround cruise, accompanied by the USCG Eagle. Old Ironsides makes her annual voyage. At noon, the ship fires a 21-cannon salute to the nation off Fort Independence on Castle Island, South Boston. From noon to 1:15 p.m., the Blue Angels and 24 other military aircraft will fly over Boston Harbor and the Charles River in salute.

Will meet at Wollaston Beach again at: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=42.27585,-71.006471&ll=42.275348,-71.006345&spn=0.004604,0.009645&num=1&t=h&z=17

Plan to arrive by 8:30am for a 9:00am launch. It took us about 1.5 hours to get out there before with the indirect route we took. Will just head straight to the island this time without circling it. Thinking of hiking to the top for a high view this time, to see the planes coming from far off, or may just stay on the low trail again...not sure yet. Planning to return as soon as the show ends, so hoping to be back at Wollaston by 4:00 if we're lucky.

Getting back to Wollaston was a rough ride crossing the channel at the Long Island Bridge, so this is not a beginner paddle by any means. We actually met a group of sea kayakers that launched at Carson Beach in Boston that decided they could not get across the channel and chose to take a water taxi back ( I assume they let them bring their kayaks on the shuttle boat).

Wet exit/Rescue skills are required.
I would recommend at least a 15 foot boat with front and rear bulkheads and spray skirt.
Ability to paddle 9 to 10 miles.
Bring a lunch, snacks and lots of water and sunscreen.

Please respond if you plan to attend.

Norm
Azane
antispam: No

Re: 4th of July, Constitution Salute, Spectacle Island - 8:3

Post by Azane »

Hey Norm
Steve and I plan to be there.
A nice paddle and a show, who could pass that up. I Wonder if there will be drones.
Abby
Abby
Maelström Vitäl 166
Zegul Greenland

Steve
Maelström Vaåg 174
norm

Post by norm »

Ok, see you there.
norm

Post by norm »

I'm really falling behind in my effort to write a trip report for each trip I go out on. But, my priority is to get out paddling as much as possible and I'm succeeding in that lately. I guess I need to slim down the number of pictures I take. It is rubbing off on my son - I handed him my new DSLR while I ran my video camera on the top of Spectacle Island yesterday and he shot 500 pictures, mostly of the Blue Angels which made multiple passes over the harbor and Charles River. From our vantage point we could see them as they banked over Long Island and turned on their smoke for the pass over the inner harbor. Then we also watched them bank left over the city for their pass over the Charles.

Here's a little taste of how good our viewing spot was:

IMG_4776.JPG
IMG_4776.JPG (32.03 KiB) Viewed 10172 times
centered

Post by centered »

Wow! Very cool! Glad your plan went well and you had perfect seats for the show.
Sue
Sandy V

Post by Sandy V »

Greay picture.
Glad you had a good time. Hope to see you tonight, that is if I can take a nap first. Not recovered from the 3rd yet.
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Amazing shot! See you at Hanson tonight!
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)