Westport, Weds 22nd August

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

Briggsy

Westport, Weds 22nd August

Post by Briggsy »

Check out my recent post in "General Discussion" forum about surf areas.
I am planning to put in at Gooseberry Neck near horseneck beach on Wednesday 22nd and paddle along the coast looking for possible surf areas.
I plan on launching 9.30 ish and will probably try to get back to Gooseberry about 3 ish. I am taking my P&H Delphin long boat and plan on paddling maybe 10 miles or so round trip depending on whether there is any good surf areas. If you are interested reply here.
Briggsy
centered
antispam: No

Re: Westport, Weds 22nd August

Post by centered »

Hey Dave,
I'm in, and I believe Norm's interested, too. See you Wed.
Sue
norm

Post by norm »

Yup, just spoke to the boss and can have Wednesday off, so I'll be there. I've been curious about launching from Gooseberry Neck and was thinking of going there if we didn't meet up with you in Cohasset last week.

On our trip out to Calf Island a couple Thursday's ago, Greg was telling me there's a good launch spot at the end of Route 77 in Little Compton. That would probably be a good spot for some of the other surfing spots on the Sakonnet River. The RICKA website has a nice launch site reference that shows the exact spot: http://www.kayakaccessri.info/mapserver/sakonnet_pt.htm

Norm
gifallen

Post by gifallen »

I'll be paddling out from Damerest State Park towards Allens Pond. This is an AMC paddle. I've been told that Gooseberry Neck parking is somewhat limited and can fill up fast on a nice summer day.

Have fun. I'll be in my Delphin to see how well it surfs into Allens Pond, if there's any surf.
Mark

Post by Mark »

norm wrote:Yup, just spoke to the boss and can have Wednesday off, so I'll be there. I've been curious about launching from Gooseberry Neck and was thinking of going there if we didn't meet up with you in Cohasset last week.

On our trip out to Calf Island a couple Thursday's ago, Greg was telling me there's a good launch spot at the end of Route 77 in Little Compton. That would probably be a good spot for some of the other surfing spots on the Sakonnet River. The RICKA website has a nice launch site reference that shows the exact spot: http://www.kayakaccessri.info/mapserver/sakonnet_pt.htm

Norm

Right, that's the usual put-in for trips outside the mouth of the Sakonnet.

Gooseberry Island has plenty of parking and easy sea kayak launching on either side.
mtnbiker26

Post by mtnbiker26 »

I'm in tentatively...My new Delphin 150 Surf is hitching a ride up from the NC warehouse with the rep and I should be receiving it Tuesday or Wednesday. If I get the boat Tuesday and get the outfitting figured out then I'll probably show up.
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

The more the merrier.....
I don't plan a huge mileage day, if there is any surf I plan on messing around a while then moving on. I would like to back at Gooseberry at 3pm as I have a commitment at home, but that doesn't mean you guys have to finish then. Don't forget to bring a helmet if you are planning to play.
See you on wednesday.
Briggsy
ricso

Post by ricso »

You guys are killin' me,Once again,
working :roll:
Ric S
Last edited by ricso on Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mtnbiker26

Post by mtnbiker26 »

My boat came today and I just finished tinkering with the outfitting. I'll see you guys at Gooseberry a little after 9:00.
mtnbiker26

Post by mtnbiker26 »

That was great! Thanks for letting me tag along.

~Greg
norm

Post by norm »

Nice job in the brand new boat Greg! It was a beautiful day out there.

I got a couple fairly decent videos of each of you. Please remember - I was sitting in a moving boat too, while shooting videos and looking at a terrible little view screen in bright sunlight.

Briggsy may write up a little trip report about the day, but had company at home this evening, so I'll share these videos here and then add them to the trip report later also.

https://vimeo.com/48045019

https://vimeo.com/48045021

https://vimeo.com/48045022

https://vimeo.com/48045020

Norm
ricso

Post by ricso »

Hey Norm, once again some great footage ! I can feel the swell beneath me just watching it. I'm not sure I have a boat that could handle that so well, that was some decent swell. That stuff from Cohasett looks like what I used to do in my white water boat although I think my 17 foot Skerray rm could do that. Nice video, looks like fun !

Ric :P
Mark

Post by Mark »

Looks like a fun day! Brayton's delivers, even on a flat summer day! :D
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Great day out there, great videos too!!

I'm as green with envy as Dave's Boat!
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan