Long Pond, Lakeville - Sunday - 10/14/12 - 10:00am Launch

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

norm

Long Pond, Lakeville - Sunday - 10/14/12 - 10:00am Launch

Post by norm »

The weather looks a little warmer for Sunday but the wind is supposed to be pretty strong. Some of us have a limited time-frame for paddling again, so looking to stay fairly close to home. Also, Sue wants to do some rolling, so she suggested Long Pond where we went out for a nice trip at a similar date last year and the water was still warm and clean enough for a little practice.

If we paddle the perimeter of the whole lake, it can be a 10 mile paddle. The current forecast is for air temps in the 60's and winds 15 - 20mph from the SSW. This could make it a bit choppy since the lake runs north - south for about 3.5 miles. The boat ramp is at the southeast corner, so a counterclockwise route might shield us a little from the wind on the leg returning south.

Most of the lake is in the town of Lakeville, but the southern section where the boat ramp is located is in Freetown. An address that should get you close on an auto GPS is: 210 Middleboro Road, Freetown, MA

Here is a Google Maps link to the boat ramp location: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=41.783393 ... 1&t=h&z=16

We should be done paddling by about 2:00 - 2:30pm.

Wet exit/Rescue skills are required.
Proper cold water/weather clothing is recommended.
I would recommend at least a 15 foot boat with front and rear bulkheads and spray skirt in order to keep up.
Ability to paddle 9 - 12 miles.

Please respond if you plan to attend.

Norm
Ken R
antispam: No

Re: Long Pond, Lakeville - Sunday - 10/14/12 - 10:00am Launc

Post by Ken R »

Norm,
I wish I could.. but we have guest in-town for the weekend.
KR
Azane
antispam: No

Post by Azane »

Hello Norm
Thanks for posting the groups for this weekend. We ended up being able to get sod at the last minute so need to push ahead on house and gearden chores. This morning its also raining which dampens prospects a bit. Won't dampen Sue I suspect. What does a little rain matter when you plan to dunk yourself repeatedly?
Enjoy and keep us in mind another day.

Next week on Sunday we are going to attend the Cold Water Clinic at CRCaK
Abby
Maelström Vitäl 166
Zegul Greenland

Steve
Maelström Vaåg 174
Skip

Post by Skip »

I want to join in but the weather is still scareing me off. Right now they are predicting rain until after noon and winds up to 17-20 by then. So I'm still on the fence, well actually on the bed thinking about it. Hey, you know me it's still a little early to make a decision.

Skip
Current Designs Solstice GT HV
Old Town Nantucket
norm

Post by norm »

Well Skip, I'll be there. This is something new, trying to get motivated to start off in the rain. It's depressing to look outside today, but like I told Sue, it might be more depressing to go another full week of work without paddling.

Leaving now for Long Pond.