Concord River - Saturday - 10/20/2012 - 10:00am Launch

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

norm

Concord River - Saturday - 10/20/2012 - 10:00am Launch

Post by norm »

Trying again to do the trip I cancelled last week. Weather is not cooperating this time either with a rainy forecast for Saturday morning but at least it will be warm with temps near 60.

I got a report from CrayolaBarb that the water level in the river is low, so it could be scratchy in places. I'm thinking of using my plastic 15' sea kayak (I could lead the way for people paddling glass boats).

I need to be done early again for another Saturday evening commitment or I'd launch a little later and hope the rain would clear up. I've been too lazy to work out a new plan, so I think I'll go with what I did the last time:

1. Meet at the Bedford Boat Ramp at 9:30am, launch by 10:00am.
2. Head upstream through the Great Meadows National Wildlife Refuge (GMNWR) to the Old Calf Pasture Conservation Area (4.5 miles), get out and stretch if needed.
3. Turn around and head back and stop at the Old North Bridge and get out and have a snack and take pictures.
4. Head back downstream to the take-out and if there is time and desire, continue further down the river.
5. Paddle back to the take-out. Probably want to be back here by about 2:30pm or 3:00pm at the latest.

Total trip distance would be about 10 miles but could be as much as 12 if we go further downstream. The trip time is likely to be 4 - 5 hours.

Here is a Google Maps link to the Bedford boat ramp: http://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=Unknown+road&hl=en&sll=42.506749,-71.315861&sspn=0.02474,0.042315&geocode=FQqjiAIdd9m_-w&mra=ls&t=h&z=16

In case the link above does not work, the boat ramp is downstream of the Carlisle Road Bridge (Rte 225) in Bedford. The ramp is located where there formerly was a bridge so there is a side road off 225 with plenty of parking.

Wet exit/Rescue skills are required.
Proper cold water/weather clothing is recommended.
I would recommend at least a 15 foot boat with front and rear bulkheads and spray skirt in order to keep up.
Ability to paddle 10 - 12 miles.

Please respond if you plan to attend.

Norm
NorwayLady

Re: Concord River - Saturday - 10/20/2012 - 10:00am Launch

Post by NorwayLady »

Sounds nice. I'm in!

Bea
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
Skip

Re: Concord River - Saturday - 10/20/2012 - 10:00am Launch

Post by Skip »

I'm in. I got out of my other commitments, ( I think )
Current Designs Solstice GT HV
Old Town Nantucket