Mystic River - Sunday - 11/18/12 - 9:00am Launch

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

norm

Mystic River - Sunday - 11/18/12 - 9:00am Launch

Post by norm »

How die-hard are my die-hard paddling friends? Do air temps in the 40's scare you away from paddling? How about a new place that most of us have not been to before, the Mystic River. The section I've chosen looks pretty urban with a few parks along the waters edge. I checked the 32 Shore Drive, Somerville put-in spot this morning and it looks like there are about 15 parking spaces in the parking lot and more on the street nearby. It was dark, so I couldn't tell if the boat house is still in use this time of year. (There was a porta-potty in the parking lot too.) The address mentioned above worked well on my car GPS, just watch what lane you're in on I93 or you'll get swept off the wrong exit early.

Here is a Google Maps link with the arrow on top of the boat ramp and pointing to the parking lot: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=42.39814 ... 1&t=h&z=16

Here is a Google Earth picture of the trip I'm considering. You can identify the launch spot by looking at where all 3 colored tracks come together at the lower right. The red track is the route we'll take and is about 12 miles. The purple route is an additional section in case there is enough daylight and desire to do another 5 miles of exploring at the end of the day. The yellow route is about 2 miles and just swings by the locks to see what they are like - we could do the yellow track at the beginning or end of the day - Bea really wants to see the locks.

2012_1118_Mystic_River_Trip_Tracks.JPG
2012_1118_Mystic_River_Trip_Tracks.JPG (154.52 KiB) Viewed 14730 times

The water is very cold and the air is going to be just as cold or colder, so this trip is only for people with the proper cold water paddling clothing. We'll plan to stop for a break or two and it would be a good idea to have a warm jacket to put on over your life jacket or instead of your life jacket during on-land breaks to keep warm. A pair of regular gloves can be comfortable too in place of your paddling gloves.

Wet exit/Rescue skills are required.
Cold water clothing is required.
I would recommend at least a 15 foot boat with front and rear bulkheads and spray skirt.
Ability to paddle 12 - 16 miles.
Bring a lunch, snacks, water and sunscreen.
Please be at the launch spot at 8:15am to 8:30am to allow plenty of time for "gearing up".
I'd like to be off the water by 4:00pm at the absolute latest - more likely by 3:00pm.
Planning to launch at 9:00am to have 7 hours of good daylight.

Please reply if you plan to attend.

Norm
NorwayLady

Re: Mystic River - Sunday - 11/18/12 - 9:00am Launch

Post by NorwayLady »

Your the best trip planner ever Norm, thinking about every detail.....including how to keep our hands warm during lunch.

I'm in, and yes, I am curious to check out the locks if we have time at the end of the day.

Thank you for posting.

Bea
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
centered
antispam: No

Post by centered »

I'm in, too. With a drysuit on, the cooler temps will be welcome!
Thanks,
Sue
cgr

Post by cgr »

I think that the fancy new Tufts boathouse is on the spur route - Malden river? I believe that there is a park there as well?
norm

Post by norm »

cgr wrote:I think that the fancy new Tufts boathouse is on the spur route - Malden river? I believe that there is a park there as well?

Thanks Chris. That does look like a nice building. It's about 2 miles from our launch spot and a mile further than the locks, so it might be worth the trip if we have time. I thought that area might be boring because it looks mostly like backs of buildings and parking lots, but it might be worth the trip to see that nice boathouse. Here's a link to a picture of the park and boat house: http://www.riversedgema.com/park/tufts-boat-house.html

And I just noticed today that places are starting to put names and logos in places that are easily visible on satellite pictures, like here are Google Earth images of the Tufts Boat House dock and a Target store in Everett.

Tufts_Docks.JPG
Tufts_Docks.JPG (95.67 KiB) Viewed 14707 times

Target.JPG
Target.JPG (99.22 KiB) Viewed 14707 times
Ken R

Post by Ken R »

I'm in! I have at least 1 more paddle in me be for I strap the Kayak to the ceiling of the barn for the winter.
KR
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Looks like you guys will have a great crisp day to paddle tomorrow.

Have a blast!
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
norm

Post by norm »

We had an excellent day. Crisp, but little wind, so it was fairly comfortable as long as we stayed in the sunshine. Six turkeys made the trip, me, Bea, Ken, Sue, Abby and Steve. Total distance for the day was 14.4 miles.

Here's the Google Earth track of where we went:

2012_1118_Kayak_Mystic_River.GPS_Track.JPG
2012_1118_Kayak_Mystic_River.GPS_Track.JPG (164.56 KiB) Viewed 14659 times
Ken R

Post by Ken R »

Great trip Norm thanks for posting it
KR
Ken R

Post by Ken R »

This was the first picture of the day, 34 chilly degrees!
Here is the Facebook link https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... efe2a7fbff
Attachments
IMGP0776comp.jpg
IMGP0776comp.jpg (83.36 KiB) Viewed 14631 times
KR