Boston Harbor 4/28/2013

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

Dave

Boston Harbor 4/28/2013

Post by Dave »

I believe I am ready to paddle. Allison and I had a son last summer. We will not be able to paddle together as someone must take care of our little paddler. I would like to get out for some Boston Harbor paddling. Perhaps Nickerson to Spectacle or Wollaston to Hangman's and Peddocks. I would like to start in the neigborhood. Let me know if anyone is interested. Surgical strikes, in and out in less than three hours.
Last edited by Dave on Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chip

Re: Boston Harbor

Post by Chip »

Hi Dave,
Congrats on your son. Are you available after work at all or just weekends?
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
Dave

Post by Dave »

Thank you Chip!

This is going to be a work in progress. Weekends to start. Hoping to do an fairly early paddle, meet in Wollaston around 8:30 AM perhaps, Saturday or Sunday, doesn't really matter. It is going to be a few weeks before everything aligns. Ideally put in around 9:00 back in around 11:30 or so and load up and go. No racing.
Last edited by Dave on Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

When are you talking, now or when the season get rolling?
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
Dave

Post by Dave »

4/6-4/7 or 4/13-14. I will confirm the weekend and then we can pick a particular day if anyone interested. Gotta check the wife's work schedule, it is confused right now with the holiday but definitely a harbor paddle one of those weekends. Wet suit required I guess. More to come.
Johnysmoke

Post by Johnysmoke »

I just moved to Quincy, so if you're looking for someone to paddle with locally I'm in North Quincy...
Chip

Post by Chip »

Dave,
Let me know if you get any weeknights free. I can bring my boat to work and meet you somewhere. I work in North Quincy.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
norm

Post by norm »

I've been itching to get out after work too...just waiting for the weather to improve and Bea to stop skiing. I had hoped to get out this week as the tide times were good but the weather (and Bea) didn't cooperate. We were thinking of meeting at the gas tank at Morrisey Boulevard, but could just as easily meet at Wollaston or Squantum if that's better for others.

Glad to see so many talking about getting out on the water. Looking forward to a busy kayaking season! Now we just need the weather to turn for the better.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I am feeling the bug pretty intense this year; Ididn't get out a lot last year. It will probably be the third weekend of April for me now, wife works every other weekend at the hospital and we have to make arrangements. I will see if I can work a week night soon as well. I have been walking the dog around Black's Creek and those Harbor Islands are calling! I will keep in touch. Looking forward to seeing some familiar faces out on the water.
flabo
antispam: No

Post by flabo »

I'm in Quincy off Walliston Beach, but any place would be a good place to paddle right now. I got a new drysuit and would love to get out and paddle on a Sat / Sun morning, or anytime on Mon / Tues.
Azane

Post by Azane »

Weekends are swell for Abby and Steve....Wollaston would be great.
Abby
Maelström Vitäl 166
Zegul Greenland

Steve
Maelström Vaåg 174
Sandy V

Post by Sandy V »

Paddle time. I'm hanging up the snowboard for the season.
Anyone else of Thursdays or Fridays? Could use company when paddling. Also still available Saturdays, but Sundays are out now.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Still plotting, soon come . . . It sure looked nice out there this weekend.
chpaton

Post by chpaton »

Hey Dave, I'm right around the corner so let keep me in mind when you are ready. 2 to 3 hour excursions are more my cup of tea than all day affairs.
Craig
Hurricane A/S Tracer Yellow/White
Heritage Shearwater - Red/White
Heritage Tandem - Mango
jimc

Post by jimc »

Saturday's harbor forecast is marginally better than Sunday's (diminsihing N winds 5-10 kts PM vs NW10-15 increasing to 20 kts). Would be nice to ride the HT back in by 2:00 ish to run some weekend errands though - Jim
norm

Post by norm »

jimc wrote:Saturday's harbor forecast is marginally better than Sunday's (diminsihing N winds 5-10 kts PM vs NW10-15 increasing to 20 kts). Would be nice to ride the HT back in by 2:00 ish to run some weekend errands though - Jim

Jim! You've got a 4 day weekend and you're rushing a paddling trip??? :)

I'm thinking about Wollaston to Spectacle Island with a walk to the top for landscape pictures on Saturday. Have a few other people interested already. Will try to post something tonight...

Norm
jimc

Post by jimc »

Unfortunately Saturday is the only day I can get to the dump in my town. And yes, the trash in the garage is reallly starting to wreak.
norm

Post by norm »

jimc wrote:Unfortunately Saturday is the only day I can get to the dump in my town. And yes, the trash in the garage is reallly starting to wreak.

Can you swing by my house and take care of my 7 bags of sticks and leaves in my shed too then???
Dave

Post by Dave »

Sunday, 4/28, Wollaston Beach by Tony's, put in 8:00, Hangman's and on to Portugese cove then home again. The tides are all wrong for putting in, it will be muddy putting in but that is when I can make it. Should be around three hours on the water. Anyone interested?
noseykate

Post by noseykate »

Might help if you re-post this in the upcoming trips section. That's where people will look if they want to do a trip. Hope you get some takers!

NK
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

I've moved it to upcoming trips. Actually, Dave originally posted it here, but it became more of a general discussion about paddling in Boston harbor sometime, as opposed to a scheduled trip, so I moved it to general discussion. But now there's an actual date.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
lora925

Post by lora925 »

I've nearly run aground and been stuck in the mud paddling that area at low tide and at a -1.69 ft tide at 7:54 am I don't think you are going to have enough water to get anywhere. Perhaps you know a sneak route?
Dave

Post by Dave »

No sneak route I'm afraid, just muddy feet. I had originally thought earlier but went with a later start for the benefit of anyone who might want to drive in, (I live a few blocks in from the beach in Wollaston.) So I think I should stick with my original thought and go very early since the tides aren't cooperating with a later start.

Same plan, put in at 6:00 AM. Understand if this doesn't appeal on a Sunday morning. Gets us more water and more time to do yard work after. Let me know if anyone is interested.
pdetorres

Re: Boston Harbor 4/28/2013 or 4/27

Post by pdetorres »

Looking for paddling partner(s) for paddle Saturday 4/27 Boston harbor area. Live in Wollaston. Put in at Wollaston beach or Houghs neck boat ramp. Have drysuit etc.

CLC Shearwater 17
flabo

Re: Boston Harbor 4/28/2013

Post by flabo »

I could go Sat / Sun - AM, but the tides not right. I'm up for Monday and could go anytime, depending on where.
pdetorres

Post by pdetorres »

Hi all
High tide at 1:09 PM I believe. so trip between 11 and 3 would avoid mud at Wollaston beach or Houghs neck boat ramp any time never has mud issues
Dave

Post by Dave »

Water babies at the Y on Saturday morning and then a play date on Saturday afternoon. Glad to hear from another Wollaston paddler! We'll have to try again and see if we can get something together.