Provincetown Whale Watch: April 27, Saturday - New Date

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

norm

Provincetown Whale Watch: April 27, Saturday - New Date

Post by norm »

I just got my work "on-call" week changed today, freeing up the April 13/14 weekend. This was the weekend we had a great time last year whale watching. I have not done any planning or checking of tides or anything yet...still too busy at work and home, but hoping that changes very soon.

So, this is a place-holder for that weekend and the start of the discussion to see if others are interested. I've retired my travel trailer, so I'm not sure about tent camping that early in the season (no campfires allowed), but I might entertain that idea if the weather forecast for that weekend is good. Otherwise, I will probably just do the long day trip and carpool.

Postponing for 2 weeks due to too much wind forecast - see message further down in the thread, on page 2.

New date Saturday, April 27 chosen to try this trip again.
Last edited by norm on Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:19 am, edited 4 times in total.
Chip

Re: Provincetown Whale Watch - April 13 or 14

Post by Chip »

Hey Norm,
You should trade in some of those kayaks for a nice small pop up tent trailer. You can put some pontoons on it for Washburn.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Who are you and what have you done with Norm? Why did you get rid of the travel trailer?
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Thanks Norm!

Already looking to another fun day watching the beasties!
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
norm

Post by norm »

Birdseye wrote:Who are you and what have you done with Norm? Why did you get rid of the travel trailer?

The travel trailer has water damage and the families we used to camp with have all gone upscale buying second homes in New Hampshire and Maine. Wife doesn't want to get a new trailer right now, so I'm going back to the basics of tent camping. $150 for a nice air mattress doesn't seem all that expensive when you compare it to a monthly loan payment on a $25,000 trailer.

Know anybody that wants a 30' travel trailer to fix up? It has a nice soft spongy floor right now...very easy on the feet. Will probably put it on Craigslist soon.

Once we clean out the back yard of the travel trailer and sailboat, my son and I have plans for some other new trailered toys.
Sandy V
antispam: No

Post by Sandy V »

I had a great time last year. If you're going on a Saturday I'm definitely in. Sunday only if I can get the day off.
Chip

Post by Chip »

norm wrote:
Birdseye wrote:Who are you and what have you done with Norm? Why did you get rid of the travel trailer?

The travel trailer has water damage and the families we used to camp with have all gone upscale buying second homes in New Hampshire and Maine. Wife doesn't want to get a new trailer right now, so I'm going back to the basics of tent camping. $150 for a nice air mattress doesn't seem all that expensive when you compare it to a monthly loan payment on a $25,000 trailer.

Know anybody that wants a 30' travel trailer to fix up? It has a nice soft spongy floor right now...very easy on the feet. Will probably put it on Craigslist soon.

Once we clean out the back yard of the travel trailer and sailboat, my son and I have plans for some other new trailered toys.

Jet skis?
norm

Post by norm »

Chip wrote:Jet skis?

Nope. Smaller sailboat that is easier to rig and launch from a trailer.
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

norm wrote:
Chip wrote:Jet skis?

Nope. Smaller sailboat that is easier to rig and launch from a trailer.

And it begins :)
norm

Post by norm »

Back to the Whale Watch topic...

I was thinking about the winter storms that made the break in South Beach in Chatham and wondered if there was any damage to the Herring Cove Beach north parking lot in Provincetown that we launch from for the whale watch. I did a search and found an article that mentioned that the storms deposited 10 to 12 inches of sand on the parking lot, but it didn't specify whether it was the north parking lot or the bigger south parking lot that is not as close to the water.

Does anybody know the status of the parking and/or whether they will have it cleaned up by April 13?
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Sorry to miss it this year. Last year was magical. Here is a photo of Archee and one of the whales we saw. In moments like these I wished I had a better camera. This photo is taken with my puny point and shoot.
IMG_7505_1.jpg
IMG_7505_1.jpg (81.08 KiB) Viewed 272506 times

Bea
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
Skip

Post by Skip »

Hey Norm

Check out the Warren lightcraft, its a kayak and a trimaran :lol: However it's expensive :(
Current Designs Solstice GT HV
Old Town Nantucket
cychan

Post by cychan »

Hi Norm,

How far do you plan to paddle? Cindy and I would like to come.
Eileen

Post by Eileen »

I was out there a couple of weeks ago -- the side of the parking lot we launch from was plowed free of sand. There has been a lot of erosion, but it's gradual there, and putting in will not be a problem. Count me in!
Eileen
norm

Post by norm »

cychan wrote:Hi Norm,

How far do you plan to paddle? Cindy and I would like to come.

I don't have a solid plan, but the majority could probably do the same as last year and just do the short trip out from the beach. A few of us did the trip around the tip of the cape into the harbor and that was nice, but coordinating a one-way trip and finding parking is a hassle, especially when you're so far from home and don't know what the weather conditions will be.

I hope you join us again,

Norm
norm

Post by norm »

Eileen wrote:I was out there a couple of weeks ago -- the side of the parking lot we launch from was plowed free of sand. There has been a lot of erosion, but it's gradual there, and putting in will not be a problem. Count me in!

Thanks for the report Eileen! Glad to hear the parking lot is clear and glad you are planning to join us again.

Norm
Chip

Post by Chip »

Hi Norm, is this Saturday 13th or Sunday 14th?
norm

Post by norm »

Chip wrote:Hi Norm, is this Saturday 13th or Sunday 14th?

Waiting to see what the weather forecast will be. I realize there are people who can make it one day and not the other, but I think at this time of year, you need to try to pick the best day if you have that flexibility. I guess we should pick a day, like maybe the 10th, to make the final call on whether to go Saturday or Sunday.
Azane

Post by Azane »

Sounds like a "whale of a good idea!" Saturday the better day. Abby and Steve would like to join the fun.
Abby
Maelström Vitäl 166
Zegul Greenland

Steve
Maelström Vaåg 174
Chip

Post by Chip »

Thanks Norm, I'll wait and see.
Sandy V

Post by Sandy V »

Sounds good.
flabo

Post by flabo »

Do you think there could be wales? If you have room for one more, I have the weekend off, and a brand new Gulfstream I'd like to christen.
Jim
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

I might be interested also.
pam

Post by pam »

Hi, Norm - I might like to join you. Unfortunately, my kayak rack needs fixing and is not on my car right now. Would it be possible to catch a ride with you?
... Pam
Dalerks

Post by Dalerks »

I might be interested
Joseph
Cetus LV
Lizzybnh

Post by Lizzybnh »

I would like to join you if the conditions are good for paddling.
norm

Post by norm »

pam wrote:Hi, Norm - I might like to join you. Unfortunately, my kayak rack needs fixing and is not on my car right now. Would it be possible to catch a ride with you?
... Pam
Yes, that's probably possible. I was thinking of trying to camp down there Saturday night in a tent, but I've purged that silly idea from my mind after looking at the night-time temperatures.
cychan

Post by cychan »

Cindy and I are in.
norm

Post by norm »

Lizzybnh wrote:I would like to join you if the conditions are good for paddling.

Can you tell us a little about your paddling experience and gear please?

Everyone else that has expressed interest in this trip is known to us and has cold water gear and we have practiced rescues together. The conditions in the open ocean off the tip of the Cape could be difficult and it's always dangerous with the cold water at this time of year.
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

norm wrote:
Lizzybnh wrote:I would like to join you if the conditions are good for paddling.

Can you tell us a little about your paddling experience and gear please?

Everyone else that has expressed interest in this trip is known to us and has cold water gear and we have practiced rescues together. The conditions in the open ocean off the tip of the Cape could be difficult and it's always dangerous with the cold water at this time of year.

I can vouch for Liz, she purchased my Romany and has already found out what a great rolling vessel it is. Since she bought my boat, she already meets the unwritten yellow boat criteria :P

Keeping my fingers crossed for a great day on Saturday the 13th!
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
norm

Post by norm »

kayakerjnj wrote:
norm wrote:

Everyone else that has expressed interest in this trip is known to us and has cold water gear and we have practiced rescues together.

I can vouch for Liz, she purchased my Romany and has already found out what a great rolling vessel it is. Since she bought my boat, she already meets the unwritten yellow boat criteria :P

Ok Jordan, thanks for the reference...just being careful as I'm sure you would be too. Anybody who buys a yellow boat from you must be a good person! :D

Seems like everybody except Archie wants to go on Saturday. One more week and we should have a better idea of what the weather will be...
Chip

Post by Chip »

I am actually a Sunday person as well.
Lizzybnh

Post by Lizzybnh »

Ha, ha! Thanks for the vote of confidence, Jordan! Just for info. - I have been paddling for about 5 yrs. and have lots of ocean experience. I can perform various assisted rescues as well as roll and reenter and roll. I have done formal cold water workshops with Suz Hutchinson through NSPN and have paddled in cold water. I have a drysuit and all the cold water gear necessary - various layers, hood, gloves, boots, etc. In addition to Jordan's boat, I have a yellow over white Cetus LV. I know it's hard to go out with people who's skills you are unfamiliar with and I respect your need for information. Although I live in NH, Jordan suggested I join the group as there are paddles the group does that are worth driving for.
I look forward to meeting everyone!
dgmer

Post by dgmer »

Folks, I am new to the group and am also interested in the Whale Watch paddle. I was introduced to the group by lizzybnh who bought Jordan's boat. I appreciate the questions posed to Liz. I have been paddling for about 4 years and am a member of nspn and neseacoastpaddlers. I paddle a Cetus MV and spend a good deal of time in the ocean. I have been coached by John Carmody and Suz Hutchinson both P&H team paddlers and have participated in cold water workshops. I am fully prepared for cold water immersion with a drysuit, layers, hood and gloves and accompanying safety gear. I can perform self and assisted rescues and have a fairly reliable roll. David
Susano

Post by Susano »

Hi everyone. I'm another friend of Lizzybnh who would love to join you for this whale watching trip. I have been paddling for about 4 yrs., have ocean experience and can perform assisted rescues. I've participated in a cold water workshop with Suz Hutchinson through NSPN and have experience paddling in cold water. I also have a drysuit and all the cold water gear necessary - various layers, hood, gloves, boots, etc. I paddle an Avocet LV, yellow w/blue trim.
nchill

Post by nchill »

Once I know which day (Sat or Sun), I'll try to arrange my schedule so I can join everyone. I don't have a yellow kayak, but I do have a yellow drysuit. ;-)

-Nancy
Azane

Post by Azane »

...you know, there's been a LOT of talk about folks who own yellow kayaks....so,

"All we are say-ing, is GIVE PEEPS A CHANCE!" (all together now) "All we are ..... "
Abby
Maelström Vitäl 166
Zegul Greenland

Steve
Maelström Vaåg 174
norm

Post by norm »

Welcome to all the new people! Sounds like everybody is prepared. Now all we need is good weather.

The long range forecast on Weather Underground has me worried with wind projections of 15-20mph for both Saturday and Sunday. Even if we pick the better day and it's clear, I'm concerned it might be too rough on the open water for some of us. Some of you might enjoy surf launches into rough water, but I know others aren't ready for that this early in the season. I imagine it will be hard to really know how rough it is till you actually arrive and judge for yourself whether the conditions are within your comfort zone. And I know many of us will be traveling a hundred miles just to get there to take a look for ourselves. So, I'm thinking about an alternate, more protected place to go if it turns out to be too rough for some or all of the group.

We're all adults and will need to make the go, no-go decision for ourselves. I'm just the trip instigator and take no responsibility for anyone's safety other than my own. But I want everyone to be safe, have a good time and not feel like they've wasted a day driving to the end of the Cape. There are over 15 people interested in this trip, so there may be people who will want to paddle even if it's rough. That's for you to decide. My thought is, if there are others who decide not to paddle off Provincetown, they could head back about 20 miles to Wellfleet Harbor to paddle in more protected waters.

I believe there are a few places to park and launch without resident permits at this time of year in Wellfleet. There won't be any whales in the harbor, but there may be seals if you can get out far enough toward Billingsgate Island. Might not be able to reach the right areas for seal watching if it's too windy and it's probably the wrong high tide time to see them basking on the sand bars. But I think it would be nice to get out on the water somewhere after driving that far. So, I'll work on marking launch spots for both Provincetown and Wellfleet tomorrow night and come up with a proposed itinerary for how I think it could work out to check P-Town first and then fall back to Wellfleet if necessary.

If the viewing is anything like last year, the trip to Provincetown may not be wasted even if you decide not to paddle. The whales were somewhat visible from shore, especially if you had binoculars. Looking at Google Earth, the better viewing areas would be quite a long walk from where you can park, so that's why we paddle! Below is a Google Earth view with last year's GPS track overlaid in blue and the places we spotted whales marked with green thumbtacks. The whales came closest to shore at the corners where the water gets deep quickly, which is somewhat visible in the satellite view. Many of you know that, but I think there are still some people fairly new to this like me.

For any of you that have not read the trip report from last year's whale watch, here's the link: http://wtpaddlers.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2767

And a report from a seal watching trip we did in Wellfleet in April of 2010: http://wtpaddlers.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1965

Ken R

Post by Ken R »

Very Well put Norm!
My saying is don’t follow me, you may come with me, but do it taking responsibility for your own decision.
Below is the link to the NOA buoy at Stellwagon Bank please consult it prior to heading north of Provincetown.
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.p ... 1344197040
KR