Washburn food plans

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

pat
Site Admin

Washburn food plans

Post by pat »

I've decided to create a separate topic for food plans for the Washburn trip. Copied from the other thread:
pat wrote:This will probably require more discussion, but it makes things a good deal easier if we can make communal meals. I'm willing to handle one, I'll bet Chip will do one, and I'm pretty sure that mondo-chef Tracey will do eight or ten. If you're a vegetarian or simply hate the idea of eating food that someone else has touched, maybe this isn't for you. But I know it's uncomfortable to be sitting there eating a dish of Tracey's beef bourguignon when the guy next to you is cracking open a crackers & cheese snack pack for dinner.

Again, this will require more discussion, but the communal meals will probably be some sort of extravagant (for being in the middle of nowhere) breakfast or dinner, and maybe people can fend for themselves for lunch. Once we talk about it more, we can come up with a fair "buy in" price for the communal meal option. And if you'd like to chef a meal or bring food for the community, we can talk about that as well.

So... I think it's time for a survey, and I'd like everyone who is signed up to respond, please.

Question #1: What day will you arrive at, and what day will you leave the island?

Question #2: Are you interested in joining the communal meals?
Not asking you to make food, just want to know if you want in when it's time to be fed, as opposed to bringing all your own food. We'll figure a "buy-in" price to defray costs from the chefs.

Question #3: If you're in for food, should we communalize lunches as well?

As people answer, I'm going to list their answers here and delete their posts, to remove confusion.

Summary so far:
Pat: arrive fri - leave sun - in for food - no lunch
Chip: arrive fri - leave sun - in for food - no lunch
dalerks: arrive fri - leave sun - in for food - no lunch
Ron: arrive fri - leave sun - in for food - no lunch
Jordan: arrive fri - leave sun - in for food - no lunch
Tracey: arrive fri - leave sun - in for food - no lunch
Pam: in for food - no lunch
KenW: arrive fri - leave sun - in for food - no lunch
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Chip

Re: Washburn Island - May 31 - June3 - Full

Post by Chip »

I think it's time to start talking about food? Is there anyone that doesn't want to participate in community meals? Also, does anyone want to be responsible for a Breakfast or dinner? I know Pat was willing.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
Finn McCool

Post by Finn McCool »

Finn McCool wrote:Assuming the calendar holds...I may be staying over in New Seabury that weekend. If so, I'll grab some donuts and muffins and paddle across from the end of the work road behind South Beach at sunrise on Sunday. You guys provide the coffee.

I'll update later.

pat wrote:That would be awesome, Mike.

Will you know before the weekend comes what your plans are? If we know you're coming, that would be one less breakfast we'd need to pack (which would be very cool). Also, it'd suck if you pulled up with a feast of bakery goods and we'd just filled our bellies with breakfast. I'd be glad to chip in for your costs if you could pull this off! :D

Yeah, I will know well in advance. I still have to check if the place is available that weekend. A week or so from now should tell the tale.
Alla har rätt till min åsikt!
TraceyJ

Post by TraceyJ »

I would like to plan on making breakfast for everyone on Saturday morning.
The usual. Eggs, ham, and any add-ins you like. Peppers, onions, etc. etc.

I'm also bringing chicken, rice and vegetable soup. That's just one soup guys.
This is a very hearty soup. No side sandwich required.

Tracey
Valley Aquanaut / white-on-white
P&H Delphin 150 Surf / Yellow
kayakerjnj

Re: Washburn food plans

Post by kayakerjnj »

Arriving Friday, Food ( of course :D ), no lunch on Sunday for me.
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

kayakerjnj wrote:Arriving Friday, Food ( of course :D ), no lunch on Sunday for me.

I'm confused. Are you leaving Sunday? Are you interested in communal lunches for days other than Sunday?
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Leaving Sunday

No lunch on Sunday for me, and yes, communal meals Fri-Sun Morning.

Remember I hauled the 250 # propane steak grill last year LOL
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
TraceyJ

Post by TraceyJ »

I will be arriving early Friday and leaving Sunday sometime after breakfast.

I am all for the communal suppers and breakfasts, and lunch can be whatever everyone wants.

I have already volunteered and would love to make everyone breakfast Saturday morning.
This will be eggs, either scrambled or as close to an omelet as I can get, with ham.
These are not egg beaters, and I do not cook bacon when I am camping. If you would prefer bacon with your eggs,
please feel free to bring your own to have with the eggs. Yes, of course, I will make your eggs with onions, peppers,
cheese, and or tomatoes.
Please post if you are a yes or no for breakfast on Saturday.

I am also bringing a nice hot soup for whichever night everyone prefers. It is very good and it has a lot of chicken,
rice and vegetables in it.

Please share your thoughts and comments. You may like what I'm bringing for breakfast and then hate the thought of
having soup for dinner. Please, let me know.

Tracey
pam
antispam: No

Post by pam »

Hi, everyone! This is my first trip to the island! I would like to hook up with others for the paddle to the island. Will there be a launch with several people, or is everyone on their own? (Norm - perhaps if our schedules coincide, we could go together??)
Regarding food: I am more than happy to chip in $$ to help with the cost of the food and to be a part of the communal meals. Regarding the lunches, either way for me - if it's communal, that's fine; if not, I'll bring along my own lunches.

Looking forward to this!! ..... Pam
Eileen

Post by Eileen »

I'm up for communal meals also.
Eileen
pam

Post by pam »

I'll be leaving on Sunday. Still hoping to meet up with others for the trip to the island ... Pam
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

As we get closer, we'll certainly be hammering out the details about arrival time and whatnot. Last year, the crew arrived at a few different times. The CanNeverGetEnoughPaddling gang arrived sometime early-mid morning, but most of us arrived somewhere in the noon vicinity so that we got there about the time the campsite was made available to us. There's usually some carpooling that is coordinated if you're interested.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
pam

Post by pam »

Thanks! I don't know if Norm would be available for a carpool with me. He has picked me up once or twice in the past for trips since he lives close to me. But, you're right, we have time to figure these details out! ..... Pam
TraceyJ

Post by TraceyJ »

Recap:

Because Jordan screwed up the "Washburn Food" thread.

Friday: Lunch- Everyone is on their own
Supper- Burger Fest
w/ Potato Salad, Garden salad -don't worry about condiments. Dessert: cookies and brownies

Saturday: Breakfast- Eggs (scrambled or omelet with choice of pepper, onions, tomatoes and cheese)
Ham on the side.
Lunch- Everyone is on their own
Supper- Soup/ Chicken w/rice and vegetables; french bread; salad Dessert: Cookies and Brownies

Sunday: Breakfast: Donuts and muffins, with coffee.

Everyone, please bring your own choice of beverages, for all meals. And please bring your own bowl along for Saturday night's dinner.
Last edited by TraceyJ on Sat May 25, 2013 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
norm

Post by norm »

Sorry for the late response. I plan to drive down early Friday morning (not sure how early yet) and will stay through to Sunday afternoon if the weather is good. I would like to partake of all communal meals. I agree that lunches should be handled individually.

I'm doing my best to finish up a kayak trailer so I can bring rec boats for towing extra gear to the island. I figure that Jordan and I will be towing a rec boat each. I have two more boats if anyone else would like to use one.

Pam - if you're planning to go early Friday and stay through late Sunday, I could probably give you a ride providing I get this trailer done.

Norm
Anne.B

Post by Anne.B »

I will likely arrive noon on Friday and leave Sunday sometime after breakfast.

Will be packing my kayak up this weekend and taking her for a test ride in the South River.

I'll bring a salad to supplement the Friday night burger fest.

Anne
Anne.B
Wilderness Systems Tsunami 125
Impex Force Cap 5
flabo

Post by flabo »

I'll be there on Friday afternoon, if I can get out of work, otherwise I'll show up on Saturday with my own food: and if that's the case maybe they'll let me stay over Sunday night too. I'm not sure how that works, ether way I'll let everyone know next week, when I find out.

Jim
pam

Post by pam »

Norm: Thank you for the offer of a ride - those times would be fine for me. Even if you don't get your trailer done or don't have enough room, perhaps I could follow you in my car to the launch site parking area. How shall we connect with details on this? I misplaced your cell phone number ... Pam
norm

Post by norm »

pam wrote:Norm: Thank you for the offer of a ride - those times would be fine for me. Even if you don't get your trailer done or don't have enough room, perhaps I could follow you in my car to the launch site parking area. How shall we connect with details on this? I misplaced your cell phone number ... Pam

Pam - I've sent you a text from my cell-phone to give you my number. So, you should have it now unless I have the wrong cell number for you.
Norm
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

TraceyJ wrote:Sunday: Breakfast: ???????

If Finn brings donuts/muffins on Sunday, I'll take care of coffee. If he's unable to make it, I'll do breakfast (something omelet-related).
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

pat wrote:If Finn brings donuts/muffins on Sunday, I'll take care of coffee.

I've just learned that my ride back to the mainland leaves early Sunday morning, so I won't be able to do coffee then. But I will do it on Saturday.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com