Washburn Paddling Trips May 31, June 1 + June 2

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

norm

Washburn Paddling Trips May 31, June 1 + June 2

Post by norm »

Would anyone mind if I start a new Washburn thread to set up a discussion about paddling trips? There seem to be quite a few non-campers this year that would like to come out and visit and do a paddling trip. I think it would be nice to try to set up some tentative times that it is likely the campers would want to get back into the kayaks for a paddle so that visitors have some idea of when to show up.

1. I propose we set a tentative time of 2:00pm for a Friday afternoon paddle. Official check in time at the campground is 1:00pm, but I'm planning to get there much earlier than that and would like to take a spin around the bays before the Saturday night pig-out begins.

2. For Saturday, if the weather allows, I'd like to do a longer trip outside the bay if conditions allow and venture along the coast somewhere. I have not checked the tides yet to determine what works for a coastal trip and the prospect of getting in and out of the other inlets, but I just want to bring up the idea of a 15+ mile, 5 - 6 hour trip on Saturday. I think a target launch time of 10:00am from the campground would allow time for breakfast cleanup to be done and time for visitors to make it out to the island.

3. Thirdly, I think there may be a group of people that just want to stay inside the Waquoit Bay area for shorter trips on Saturday. I'll leave that up to others to organize. Maybe that trip could also have a target start time of 10:00am.

4. Lastly, if the weather is nice, I hope to do a daytime paddle on Sunday before packing up in the afternoon to leave. (That is why I reserved one of the campsites through Monday.) If there is someone that only has Sunday available, I'd be glad to set up a time to meet with them for a trip.

So, tell me what you think.

Norm
centered
antispam: No

Re: Washburn Paddling Trips May 31, June 1 + June 2

Post by centered »

hey Norm,
I'd definitely be interested in a visit to Washburn and a day trip on Sat. or Sun.
Sue
Ken R

Post by Ken R »

I may make Friday's paddle, are you thinking 2pm at the island for non campers?
KR
norm

Post by norm »

Ken R wrote:I may make Friday's paddle, are you thinking 2pm at the island for non campers?

Yes, that is what I'm proposing. That would give us at least 3 hours to paddle before people want to start dinner preparations.

I will add Google maps of the boat ramp and directions to where the campground is located on the island later, for those that don't know where it is. It is about a 2.5 mile paddle from the boat ramp to the campground. If I recall correctly Ken, it sounded like you are already familiar with the area.
Ken R

Post by Ken R »

I’m wondering if there is anyone that wants to commit to an apx 4 mile, flat water paddle, depending on conditions, starting around 2-3 pm. this is for my wife if she comes with me. Ya.. I’ll be on a longer paddle with others in the group
KR
flabo

Post by flabo »

I definitely will not be camping on Friday night, and Saturday night looks to be in doubt as well. I will post tomorrow night whether I can make it on Saturday, just in case some one else wants my spot; but Friday is open.

Jim
Azane

Post by Azane »

Greetings! Yes, we would be up for a Saturday paddle at your AO (thats military for Area of Operation). A 15 + would be ideal...looks to be warming and hopefully an amazing weekend to be there!!! Thanks!

Steve and Abby

P.S. If there are any last minute supplies needed, please advise: snake bite kits, ingredients for S'mores, TP, etc.
Abby
Maelström Vitäl 166
Zegul Greenland

Steve
Maelström Vaåg 174
norm

Post by norm »

Saturday Long Trip Thoughts:

There are a few people coming for an aggressive trip Saturday. Some of them have not responded on this thread but have told me in person or via email...

The wind forecast is pretty high - southwest winds 15-20 with seas around 2 feet. (Did you just see Jordan's eyes light up?) I'm thinking paddle out of Waquoit Bay into Nantucket Sound and head west into the wind along the coast toward Nobska Point with a target stopping point of Nobska Beach after 9 miles. If it's too rough to get around the point, we know of a couple public beaches on this side that are accessible if the waves are not too large. On the return trip, we'd be riding the wind for about 5 or 6 miles.

Another option if it's too rough to go to Nobska Point is to duck in and out of a bunch of "ponds" along that same stretch of coast. It can be fun running in and out of the entrances with a little fast moving water.

Below is a picture of both trip options with the Nobska trip in red and the "pond exploring" trip in yellow.

The Nobska Beach trip is about 18 miles. The pond exploring paddle is about 22 miles as shown, but I'm sure we'd skip some of the legs to reduce the length, or not go as far into them as shown.

josko

Post by josko »

A couple comments from a local: on June 1, tide ebbs (west) until noon and can give one a nice push when paddling westwards along Falmouth shore. Similarly, you'll get a nice lift eastwards in the afternoon. If the prevailing SW builds earlier than expected, there is a nice lee along the coastline.

If the current wind forecast holds, about an hour after low tide (~1300), Nobska will get pretty messy. Unless you have a group that delights in 'conditions', it'd be best to be past Nobska point, headed homeward, by 1300. Note that Nobska beach is exposed to the SW. During low (slack) tide appreciable swell comes into the beach, especially if wind is >15 kts. Folks should be up to surf landings/launchings.

The offshore red line (in Norm's picture) takes one straight across L'hommadieu shoal, a tidal overfall which will be a great place to play in the afternoon, but perhaps a bit intimidating to those not looking for tiderace conditions.

You do not want to take kayaks into Falmouth harbor. Trust me. There will be heavy traffic entering and exiting Falmouth harbor. The best place to cross is right at the end of the harbor breakwater. Beware of crossing the traffic line ~1/2 mile out from the harbor. Entering motorboats will only have eyes for large boats entering or exiting the harbor entrance. The guys exiting will be setting their GPS's to wherever they're going.
The rest of the Falmouth salt ponds are pretty grungy but may be worth a visit.

Another route I might suggest is eastwards into Poponesset bay. You wil lhave a few miles of upwind paddling in the afternoon from Poponesset bay mouth to Waquoit entrance, but it should be doable. Fishing for bluefish in Cotuit bay is superb this week.
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Thank you Josko for your input.

I am considering coming down Saturday. The "daytrippers" have to add about 5 miles to the proposed route. I think it is about 2.5 miles one way from the put-in and out to the Washburn campsites. Sounds like this could be a really long paddle day.....Hmmm.....

Bea
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
Chip

Post by Chip »

NorwayLady wrote:Thank you Josko for your input.

I am considering coming down Saturday. The "daytrippers" have to add about 5 miles to the proposed route. I think it is about 2.5 miles one way from the put-in and out to the Washburn campsites. Sounds like this could be a really long paddle day.....Hmmm.....

Bea

Come down early and take a nap in the Bea Hive. :D
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
norm

Post by norm »

Thanks Josko for the expert local knowledge.

I thought about a trip to Poponesset but was concerned about returning into the wind.

I also thought about going past Nobska Beach into the harbor where the Coast Guard station is if we could get around the point but didn't want to do a surf landing on the beach. It's good to have your insight on the tides and currents. I printed out the data but have not had a chance to study it yet and it's much better to hear it from you what the conditions are likely to be.

Thanks for the warning about Falmouth Harbor. I've only been past there once with Briggsy.

We'll have to see who in our group decides to go and how strong they're feeling. With your feedback, we'll know what to expect.

Thanks!
norm

Post by norm »

Bea

There goes your SECRET appearance! Now you've done it. You're fired from the secret squirrels!

We'll tailor the trip to whatever distance you can handle, Bea. And you'll kick everyone's butts I'm sure.
josko

Post by josko »

I'd love to join you all, but we have an AMC 'leaders' tuneup' on Lake Cochituate on Saturday, and it would be grossly politically incorrect for me to no-show.
However, we are doing a training paddle from Woods Hole to Quicks' hole on Sunday. All who can get to Pie in the Sky by 0800 and think they can maintain 4 knots for 20 miles are welcome. Let me know if you are planning to do this with us.
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Chip wrote:

Bea

Come down early and take a nap in the Bea Hive. :D

Maybe I'll bring one of those hammocks you hang between trees. Any palm trees on the island?

All kidding aside: Should the "daytrippers" try and unite and pick a launch time? We could meet Saturday at 8:00 am for a 8:30 launch. That would bring us out to Washburn around 9:15 am or so, with time to visit all the Wild Turkey campers before we venture out for the day..................

Bea
Bea
Eileen

Post by Eileen »

Hi,

I will be there Friday for the paddle - where will you be paddling? I now have an interview Friday morning sometime TBD, and should be there for the pm start. Tracey or Jordan - will you have you cell phones in case I'm delayed?
Eileen
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Hi Eileen,

I'll have my cell phone with me, or in the boat :)

Safe travels!
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
jimc

Post by jimc »

Bea, If my car is ready I can meet you at the launch at 8:00 AM. Just need coordinates or st location since I haven't been there in a couple of years. - Jim
norm

Post by norm »

The parking lot for Washburn Island is at: Whites Landing Road, Falmouth, MA

The parking lot is across the street from Edwards Boat Yard. The public ramp is at the end of Whites Landing Road. I think there is a private ramp in the boat yard, but it should be fairly obvious where to launch if you just go to the end of the road.

Google wouldn't let me put in a number for the street, but here is a link with the parking lot at "A" and the launch spot at "B". You can drive down to the end of the boat ramp and unload your boat if its not busy and then move your car back up to the parking lot. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=MA-28+S%2FE+Falmouth+Hwy&daddr=Whites+Landing+Rd&hl=en&sll=41.579674,-70.531336&sspn=0.004197,0.009484&geocode=FdR3egIdVcHL-w%3BFWByegIdeMXL-w&t=h&mra=dme&mrsp=0&sz=17&z=17

Here is a picture of the path from the boat ramp to the campground. The ramp is at the top. Go to the right from the ramp, down the Childs River, take a left up the Seepit River and turn right into Waquoit Bay and hug the right shore which is Washburn Island. Swing out around the sand bar that juts out and then head to the beach where we'll be at campsites 3, 4 and 5 at the northern end of the campground.

Anne.B

Post by Anne.B »

I am likely looking at a shorter paddle than Norm's both Fri and Sat.

Anne
Anne.B
Wilderness Systems Tsunami 125
Impex Force Cap 5
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Thanks, Norm for directions to the put-in.

Daytrippers: Let's plan on meeting at the put-in Saturday 8:00 am for a 8:30 am launch. Please post here if you plan to join me. Hope to see you Jim.

Bea
Bea
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Thanks, Norm for directions to the put-in.

Daytrippers: Let's plan on meeting at the put-in Saturday 8:00 am for a 8:30 am launch. Please post here if you plan to join me. Jim, keep me posted so I know if you are coming or not. Hope your car is ready!

Bea
Bea
jimc

Post by jimc »

Thanks, Norm. The GPS coords always helps. Bea, if all goes as planned I should be hauling my old kayak on my new rack system.
flabo

Post by flabo »

I'm not sure if I'm still in the right spot for posting this or not. But, I'm just trying to let the powers that be, know that I will be there for Saturday night and could stay Sunday night if it looks good, and that I'm a no-go for Friday night, if some one wants a one night spot.

Jim
Ken R

Post by Ken R »

To All day trippers:
Several times I have parked and launched at http://maps.google.com/?ll=41.569828,-7 ... 3&t=h&z=20
From the water there is a pile of over turned boats, from the street it is a path into the woods near a vacant lot.
They have strange parking rules in the area. You park in front of any house but MUST have all 4 tires of the pavement.

It would be great if one of the campers could explore this for future use..
KR
Azane

Post by Azane »

Hey Bea, Norm and all interested parties.

We plan to be there Saturday at 8am for launch at 8:30. Any suggestions about how much extra time to allow for Cape traffic coming from Quincy? We are just neurotic enough to get places early but the southbound traffic on a hot weekend is legendary.
Abby
Maelström Vitäl 166
Zegul Greenland

Steve
Maelström Vaåg 174
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Hi Steve and Abby.

Happy you can join me. I will pm you my cell phone number in case any of us run late due to traffic.
I have no idea what kind of traffic to expect on Saturday mornings over the bridge. I am keeping my fingers crossed!
Bea
Bea
flabo

Post by flabo »

I'm stuck in Boston for the weekend; so that leaves a spot open for Saturday night, if there's still time to fill it.
Jim