Sat. July 20 Brown's Bank

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

Eileen

Sat. July 20 Brown's Bank

Post by Eileen »

Hi - I'm not positive, but it looks like the summer jam is taking place on Brown's Bank this coming Saturday. I'll see what I can find out if there's any interest in going.
Eileen
NorwayLady

Re: Sat. July 20 Brown's Bank

Post by NorwayLady »

I am interested!
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
Eileen

Post by Eileen »

OK - I'll see what I can find out. I have a call in to my friend that told me about it last year. Also, the band's website says they are playing in the Atlantic Ocean....
Eileen
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

I put a reminder on my phone last year to remind me to find out about this year's event. It alerted me yesterday. Looking forward to it.
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
Ken R
antispam: No

Post by Ken R »

I will probably be there on my motor boat if any non-paddling spouses would like to come too. let me know.
KR
norm

Post by norm »

Ken R wrote:I will probably be there on my motor boat if any non-paddling spouses would like to come too. let me know.

I have to work Saturday evening but maybe I'll send you my wife? :) :) :)
Ken R

Post by Ken R »

LOL
KR
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

norm wrote:I have to work Saturday evening but maybe I'll send you my wife? :) :) :)

Henny Youngman? Is that you???
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Found a post online that confirms the Brown's Bank party on Saturday the 20th. Low tide is at 3:34.
Eileen

Post by Eileen »

Birdseye wrote:Found a post online that confirms the Brown's Bank party on Saturday the 20th. Low tide is at 3:34.

Yes - I also received confirmation that the band is playing - I think if we met at Nelson Park about 1, we can go to straight to the Bank. Or -we could meet earlier, and paddle to Saquish or to the Gurnet. We have to watch the storms-Saturday's forecast is for intense late day storms. What do people want to do?

I know I'll be leaving Brown's Bank before all of the boaters do - it's a bit scary to think about sharing the water with a bunch of boaters after this party!
Eileen
Kayak Krazy

Post by Kayak Krazy »

Sounds fun! :D I would like to try it out.
And I put in my vote for meeting earlier and doing some paddling around that area since I have never done Plymouth harbor.
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Ken R wrote:I will probably be there on my motor boat if any non-paddling spouses would like to come too. let me know.

How about non-paddling children, Ken? Our daughter Christine (24) and I would love to join you on the boat.
Bea
Ken R

Post by Ken R »

Cool. departure time is still flexible. If Friday is as hot as hot as they are saying, we may spend the Friday there as well.
KR
TraceyJ

Post by TraceyJ »

This sounds like fun, but won't be able to join you.

Family function late Saturday afternoon.

Have a good time everyone.

Tracey
Valley Aquanaut / white-on-white
P&H Delphin 150 Surf / Yellow
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Last year when we did this the weather was terrible. I was hoping to spend a little more time out there this year (without my paddling gear on), bring a chair, maybe take a swim, things like that. I wish we knew what time the band starts. Is anyone else thinking of doing something like this? I've been debating if I'll paddle, take the dinghy or even the sailboat. Having trouble deciding.

Ken, sounds like you've been out there a few times. If low tide is at 3:30 when would people generally start getting there and when is the latest time they would normally start leaving?
Ken R

Post by Ken R »

Birdseye wrote:Ken, sounds like you've been out there a few times. If low tide is at 3:30 when would people generally start getting there and when is the latest time they would normally start leaving?

Depending on the height of the high tide and the - of the low tide. If it is a minor tide cycle it can be as much as 4 hours before low and 4 after low. If it is major cycle it is 2.5-3 hours before 2.5-3 hours after low
The tide cycle is about 12' on Saturday so safe to say 3hours +/- of 3:30

Boats will be getting there all morning and progressively moving their anchors as the tide ebbs to keep their boat floating or allowing them to go on dry ground
Attachments
4779.png
4779.png (21.98 KiB) Viewed 42706 times
Last edited by Ken R on Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
KR
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Ken R wrote:Depending on the height of the high tide and the - of the low tide. If it is a minor tide cycle it can be as much as 4 hours before low and 4 after low. If it is major cycle it is 2.5-3 hours before 2.5-3 hours after low
The tide cycle is about 12' on Saturday so safe to say 3hours +/- of 3:30

Boat will be getting there all morning and progressively moving their anchors as the tide ebbs to keep their boat floating or allowing them to go on dry ground

Thanks Ken, that's helpful info. I've never brought my sailboat out there but have been wanting to and wondering what the process was.
Ken R

Post by Ken R »

This afternoon I decide I should go out to Brown's Bank and measure the tide, because it was to F******* hot for me to be out of the water. Officially with light wing the last peak of Brown's bank submerges when the tide hits 7.5'. Ideal is @ -6' to +6'.
Use this link to determine the height and time of the tide.
http://tides.mobilegeographics.com/loca ... 3&m=7&d=20

Birdseye, feel free to anchor in deep water (3') wade or swim in and asses the situation. Today I arrived on the incoming tide, let out 40' of anchor rode, dragged a stern anchor to shore. As the tide rose I eased the anchor rode from the bow and dragged the stern anchor up the beach.
KR
Eileen

Post by Eileen »

I'm still concerned about the predicted storms. Men - how many people fit on your boat? And are you able to tow kayaks if things blow in?
I may know tomorrow if there is a rain date, and will post if I can get more info.
Eileen
Ken R

Post by Ken R »

I will have room for a few. I have never towed a kayak. Will they breach or stay up right?
KR
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Ken R wrote:This afternoon I decide I should go out to Brown's Bank and measure the tide, because it was to F******* hot for me to be out of the water. Officially with light wing the last peak of Brown's bank submerges when the tide hits 7.5'. Ideal is @ -6' to +6'.
Use this link to determine the height and time of the tide.
http://tides.mobilegeographics.com/loca ... 3&m=7&d=20

Birdseye, feel free to anchor in deep water (3') wade or swim in and asses the situation. Today I arrived on the incoming tide, let out 40' of anchor rode, dragged a stern anchor to shore. As the tide rose I eased the anchor rode from the bow and dragged the stern anchor up the beach.

Thanks Ken.
Anchoring is still new to me. I might want to talk to you in more detail one of these days.
Ken R

Post by Ken R »

Anytime, no problem, I'll be there early and try to keep an eye out when you come in. I'll be on a cream color 23' Parker sports cabin. "Scalawag" big letters on the side.
KR
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Thanks Ken. Not sure how I'll make it out there just yet but I'll look for you when I get there.
Eileen

Post by Eileen »

So, we have the following folks confirmed:

Ken, Kit, Bea, Bea's daughter - in Ken's boat

Nelson and Sherri - in one of Nelson's boats

Mary, Me - in kayaks. the latest forecast is for the storms to hit here late afternoon/early evening. We should be fine in the kayaks.

Mary - do you want to meet about 10:30 or 11 and paddle over towards Clark Island? I think Plymouth Harbor would be too busy tomorrow with the boat launches and moored boats . we can do that another time.
Eileen
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Eileen,

Yes, Christine and I will be on Ken's boat. I'll have my cell phone with me. See you there.

Bea
Bea
Kayak Krazy

Post by Kayak Krazy »

Yes, I can meet Eileen around 10:30-11:00 at Nelson Park with kayak.
I am not sure what kind of Cape traffic I will run in to, but I will head out early.

Also, I have your phone number ending in 96. If this is your cell, great! Otherwise can you PM me your cell number?
Mary
Eileen

Post by Eileen »

Mary - I sent you my cell #. Please send me yours.
Bea - I'll call you when we get on Brown's Bank to see where you all are . nelson - if you get this, please send me your cell so we can find you as well.
Eileen
Ken R

Post by Ken R »

Beginning of the trip report:
Bea and I walked the perimeter of Browns bank total was 1.95 miles.
I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (80.09 KiB) Viewed 42629 times

It is huge this year.
KR
Eileen

Post by Eileen »

It was a great day -- Mary and I had a bit of an adventure on the way back, and since we didn't get struck by lightening, we decided to go to Cabby Shack for a cold one. Of course, we cleaned up in the kiddie pool/fountain at Nelson Park first.
Eileen
Eileen

Post by Eileen »

MANY thanks to Ken for calling the Harbor Master to watch out for Mary and I - we were met on shore at Nelson Park when we landed - just as the storm really got cranking.

FYI to all - the shortest distance between two points is not always a straight line. We left Brown's Bank at dead low as we heard thunder in the distance. We made it through the boat channel before the mass exodus ( happily) and were paddling like mad to get back to Nelson Street - lightening was going all through Duxbury and out to the Gurnet. Then there was a strike or two behind Nelson Park. Shit, or double shit. About the same time, we got to the sand bar between the Point and Nelson Park, and it looked like there was water about 20 yards away, with the channel towards the jetty/bridge looking much further. Wrong. That sandbar is f#$&ing huge. Maybe even bigger than last year when I paddled around it with a couple of you. The water seen was pooling only, no where near enough to paddle in. Don't anyone make the same mistake if you have time, stay and play, but if you need to get off the water ten minutes ago, go around it.

I think the scariest moment was when the clouds and wind changed, and the sandbar water turned green. As much as I wanted to take a picture of that, I also never want to see it again.

Otherwise, it was a great day.

Thanks again Ken for really looking out for us.
Eileen
Ken R

Post by Ken R »

Eileen,
I was relieved to see you made it to the beach by the time I made it to the ramp.
when we entered the harbor you were mid way between the channel and Nelson Street park, but you had about 3" of water. At that time I could not come within 1/2 mile of you because of the flats. You did not answer your phone when Bea called your cell. So I felt I should notify the Harbor Master on your behalf. I hope it was not an issue with them when you got to the beach. My day did not end much better. I allegedly (allegedly-BOLD UNDERSCORED) scraped a parked car with my trailer. 2 cop cars and 2 Bicycle cops were dispatched it investigate.
KR
Eileen

Post by Eileen »

Thanks Ken,

Sorry to hear about the bogus issue.

We knew you couldn't come after us, and knew you would if you could. We also thought we would have made it back to shore when we left - after we all split up and Mary and I were back at the band (on break again!) We thought we saw you on the circumnavigation walk, so we went to join you. When we got closer, we could see it wasn't you, so we turned around, and were going back to hear the band, but heard the thunder over by Duxbury instead. Good thing the band was on break. So, we high-tailed it out of there. It seemed like the best thing to do.

One question - do you know if that ( non)channel over towards the breakwater has enough water to paddle in at low tide? I was there last year an hour or two after low, and there was then, but it was shallow. Is it really a channel?

Good luck with your issue, and truly thanks again. We were happy someone was on shore watching us, we saw him from a great distance, and it was comforting to know that if there was a lightening strike someone would know. I didn't know until talking with Bea that you placed a call - we thought it was luck from a stranger on shore - when we were pulling up, he called over to us and asked if we were OK, we said yes,thanks and he left. We didn't get to talk, in fact I thought he was a fireman that happened to be onshore, and was waiting to see us land just because.... I saw a patch on his shirt, that's all.

Next year, Mary and I would like to reserve a spot on your boat!! And we'll find the SOB that actually hit the car.
Eileen
Eileen

Post by Eileen »

One last thing - I placed a call to a friend on land, who checked the current radar - the storms were not on the radar at that point, but were forming then, ahead of the front that came through. That played into our decision to paddle in big time.
Eileen
Ken R

Post by Ken R »

We are glad to hear you and Mary made it back OK.
To my knowledge the only channel up in that area, is the one that ran into the old window company (now condos)and the small boat yard, south of Cordage park. With 2' water at low tide, it is about 1/4-1/3 miles from Nelson street beach.
I am beginning to think that Browns bank, as wonderful as it is, is not an ideal paddling destination. When the bank is up the Plymouth harbor channel is crowded with power boats and the mud flats prevent access back to Nelson St and Stephan's field within +/- 2 hours of low tide. The best access seems to be from Plymouth long Beach with a 2 mile paddle.
KR
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Eileen and Mary: It was sur-real spotting you guys in the Plymouth bay. It looked like you were walking on water with big dark clouds building behind you. It was amazing to watch Ken navigate the crazy boat traffic in the Plymouth boat channel and radio in to the harbor master at the same time. This guys can multi task big time! We were all keeping an eye out for you, and glad somebody met you at the put-in making sure you were OK.

Bea
Bea