Neds Point to Sippican - Sunday, 7/28/13 - 9:00am Launch

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

norm

Neds Point to Sippican - Sunday, 7/28/13 - 9:00am Launch

Post by norm »

On Sunday, I'd like to try something new. I have not gone from Neds Point eastward before. This is usually a bad idea because you're likely to be paddling into the prevailing southwest wind on the return leg of the trip. But, if anyone would like to give it a try, here is roughly what I propose - head east around the points and up into Sippican Harbor, maybe rounding Bird Island, find a spot to stop for lunch and then paddle back checking out Aucoot Cove on the way. This will be about a 16-18 mile trip.

This plan may need adjustment after more research and thought. Just figured I'd get it posted in case somebody would like to join me paddling Sunday. There will be less rest time on this trip so that the return leg can start earlier to get a jump on the southwest winds.

More info to follow, but please reply if you are immediately interested in something like this.

Wet exit/Rescue skills are required. Ability to paddle 16-18 miles.
Ability to paddle at a 3mph speed for 2+ hours at a time.
I would recommend at least a 15 foot boat. Bulkheads or flotation front and back required.
Bring plenty of water, snacks and a lunch. Sunscreen will hopefully be needed also.
Linda

Re: Neds Point to Sippican - Sunday, 7/28/13 - 9:00am Launch

Post by Linda »

Can be a WONDERFUL trip... I've done this even alone (with the right circumstances)... Winds can be a hitch, I just see it as a day I don't have to go to the gym :) I'm looking at a conflicting paddle I'd have less opportunity to do... Good Luck! I'd be interested next time, for sure!
Still Mind, Relaxed Breath, Pure Attention...
Paddling is Great Therapy!
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

I did this trip with AMC Southeastern chapter last summer. It was a wonderful trip. The plan was to launch from Ned's point and our destination would be based on the wind direction for the day, with the goal to have the wind at our backs on the way home. If the forecast was the usual SW wind in the afternoon we would go around West Island, and if the wind was from the opposite directions we would go around Haskell Island. Before launch we did a final check of the forecast and headed east. An easy day one the water with the wind in our favor.

Here is the link to some photos I took that day:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... b4e105c47a

Bea
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
norm

Post by norm »

NorwayLady wrote:I did this trip with AMC Southeastern chapter last summer. It was a wonderful trip. The plan was to launch from Ned's point and our destination would be based on the wind direction for the day, with the goal to have the wind at our backs on the way home. If the forecast was the usual SW wind in the afternoon we would go around West Island, and if the wind was from the opposite directions we would go around Haskell Island. Before launch we did a final check of the forecast and headed east. An easy day one the water with the wind in our favor.

Well, if the forecast I looked at last night holds, we'll be going into the wind both ways. I don't want Josko calling us a bunch of wusses twice in one week! :D :D :D
Ken R
antispam: No

Post by Ken R »

I'm on board with it.
KR
norm

Post by norm »

Ken - the forecast for tomorrow gets worse and worse every time I look at it. I think we may need to be wusses and cancel this paddle. What do you think?

Sorry you couldn't join us today, it was beautiful out there.
Ken R
antispam: No

Post by Ken R »

That's fine with me. If the forecast changes in the morning contact me via cell phone.
KR