Monomoy trip, Thursday 25th June 2015

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

Briggsy

Monomoy trip, Thursday 25th June 2015

Post by Briggsy »

Bea's challenge was to post some of our favorite trips this year so here goes....
Looking at the tides, Thursday 25th June should make a good trip to the southernmost tip of Monomoy Island, Cape Cod. The trip is about 20 nautical miles and is a full on day trip. There are possibilites of some chop on the Nantucket Sound side of Monomoy Island and some strong currents near the "not so new" break on the Atlantic side. Also of course the added excitement of possibly being eaten by a Great White Shark!!
The launch site is Morris Island Causeway in Chatham

https://www.google.com/maps/place/300+M ... 94a72b9ae9

Low tide is lunchtime when we shall be at the tip of the island and avoiding the numerous sandbars further north.
Anyone thinking of coming should have a sea kayak of 16ft plus with bulkheads, rescue equipment (floats and bilge pumps at least), should be able to perform assisted rescues, and depending on the weather, appropriate paddle wear.

I would be looking to launch at 9am. Obviously weather may cancel this trip.

Thanks Briggsy
kayakerjnj

Re: Monomoy trip, Thursday 25th June 2015

Post by kayakerjnj »

Hi Dave,

Love to join the festivities!

Please count me in!
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
norm

Post by norm »

Dave,

I'm definitely interested too. But, I'm tired of the same old seals, sand and sea grass out there. I want to see a shark this time!

I'm dying to see if they ever did any more to finish up the light-house keepers house. Our tax dollars at work.

Norm
TraceyJ

Post by TraceyJ »

norm wrote:Dave,

But, I'm tired of the same old seals, sand and sea grass out there. I want to see a shark this time!

Norm

Norm,

Be careful what you wish for.

Dave,

This sounds like a fun trip and I don't mind seeing all the same old seals, sand, and seagrass. Or did Norm mean sea glass?
Well, count me in.

Tracey
Valley Aquanaut / white-on-white
P&H Delphin 150 Surf / Yellow
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Thank you for responding to the 2015 Wild Turkey Challenge Briggsy! That is awesome.

Count me in. Looking forward to it.
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
Ron

Post by Ron »

Sounds good, count me in.
Image P&H Cetus HV
pdetorres
antispam: No

Post by pdetorres »

Sorry I will miss this. but I am out of town.

Pablo
Ken R

Post by Ken R »

Count me in.
KR
Mark G

Post by Mark G »

Sounds great!! I will be there.
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

.......UPDATE ON MONOMOY AREA.......
Yesterday I paddled from the Morris Island Causeway launch, past the break to the gap between the Monomoy Islands as a scouting trip for the upcoming WTP trip. Attached is my actual GPS track from yesterday on a Google Earth image of the area dated 12 months ago. You will see from my tracks (apart from the many dead ends and squiggles...surfing...) that the central sand island in the middle of the break has moved west and has closed one of the channels that ran north/south next to North Monomoy at the lower end of the tide. The whole area has been pretty stable for a couple of years but I guess this last winter things have shifted quite a bit. So I am still going to try to paddle down to the lighthouse on June 25th but please be aware that we might not make it, there will be some areas of strong current around the break on the way down and on the way back (when you may be more tired), and there may be some paddling/dragging over shallow water. I don't want to put anyone off but I do want to make sure you guys know that there is a chance it will not be a cruise down to the lighthouse. Of course it could also be a fab calm day and everything will go smoothly !! I know we could paddle around the west side of Monomoy in Nantucket Sound all the way down to the tip but that would be boring.
I spoke to a local fisherman and he said he hasn't seen such a dramatic change for years. He also said he saw coyotes swimming from North Monomoy to Morris Island on more than one occaision.....very cool. There are plenty of seals down there for sure.
Anyhow, if anyone is wanting to paddle Monomoy but does not want the uncertainty mentioned above then I will post another Monomoy trip later in the season. By that time we will know the lay of the land better.
My days off work are weds and thurs so no big deal for me if we have to cancel due to weather but I think everyone else is taking a day off to do this trip. In case of a weather cancellation would anyone have a good suggestion for a more sheltered trip as a plan B so that those who have taken a day off work won't feel its a wasted day ???

Briggsy
Attachments
mon63.jpg
mon63.jpg (151.62 KiB) Viewed 56514 times
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Briggsy wrote:then I will post another Monomoy trip later in the season.

About that later-in-the-season trip... For those of us who feel a little out of their depth paddling 20 miles in potentially challenging currents, could a subset of us wimps join the trip but hang at the bottom of Sand Island or someplace while you over-achievers paddle over the edge of the earth?
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Azane

Post by Azane »

Sounds like a blast, I would love to join in!

Thanks, Steve
Abby
Maelström Vitäl 166
Zegul Greenland

Steve
Maelström Vaåg 174
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

pat wrote:

About that later-in-the-season trip... For those of us who feel a little out of their depth paddling 20 miles in potentially challenging currents, could a subset of us wimps join the trip but hang at the bottom of Sand Island or someplace while you over-achievers paddle over the edge of the earth?

Sure, I cannot organize trips on weekends as I am working but we could plan something for a weds or thurs. Maybe just a shorter trip in the Monomoy area, a circumnavigation of North Monomoy ?? Or for a weekend trip maybe one of the folks on this trip may be able to plan something ???
Briggsy
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

I'm not suggesting that you organize a separate shortie trip. I can tag along on the long trip and just take a shortcut.

Weekdays are fine with me. I'll just tell my boss I have to go to the store for something and hope that she doesn't see the kayak on my roof.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
josko

Post by josko »

norm wrote:Dave,

I'm definitely interested too. But, I'm tired of the same old seals, sand and sea grass out there. I want to see a shark this time!

I'm dying to see if they ever did any more to finish up the light-house keepers house. Our tax dollars at work.

Norm

Norm, I got some can't fail shark attractant for you. I can put it on your boat at launch time, or even a day or two ahead... You'll never even know it's there.
Mark G

Post by Mark G »

My friend Jim O' Connell would like to join the trip Jim is along time paddler (25yrs) and a coastal geologist Jim will be able to explain what has been happening out there over the years. Let's hope for good weather
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

Briggsy wrote:
pat wrote:

Sure, I cannot organize trips on weekends as I am working but we could plan something for a weds or thurs. Maybe just a shorter trip in the Monomoy area, a circumnavigation of North Monomoy ?? Or for a weekend trip maybe one of the folks on this trip may be able to plan something ???
Briggsy

The only thing with tagging along and stopping on a beach then waiting for us on the way back is that its a long way and you would be waiting a long time. I'll do a shorter trip later in the season,
Briggsy
josko

Post by josko »

If there's still room, I'd like to come.
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

UPDATE.....

For next week's trip, I'd like to meet at Morris Island Causeway by 8.30am and shove off at 9am. Make sure you come along Chatham Main St to Chatham Light and then to Morris Island Causeway. There is another route that will bring you from Stage Harbor Rd across the bridge at Bridge Street. The Bridge is currently closed so don't go that way !!! There are porta johns (and janes !!) at Chatham Lighthouse parking area which is minutes from our launch parking area.
Bring lunch and snacks and plenty of water. From the launch I'd like to get down to the channels between North and South Monomoy before a stop as that is the critical area for sandbars etc. Once at the southern end of Monomoy we usually have lunch and take a short hike to the Lighthouse they have been renovating and across to the Atlantic side. You can relax on the beach if you prefer.
Please read all of this thread regarding distance and required equipment.

I know you are all coming from far away lands on the other side of the great Bridge so I am offering a pasta dinner at my house after the trip. Basic spaghetti, sauce, sausage. Please let me know if you are coming for dinner.

As far as a shorter trip goes, I am working on it and will post soon.

Will check the weather Tuesday and call it then.

Thanks
Briggsy
Ken R

Post by Ken R »

Briggsy,
Bea and I will be carpooling and both would like to join you for a pasta dinner after the paddle.
Is there anything that we could bring like salad, bread, wine?
KR
Azane

Post by Azane »

Briggsy,

I will be unable to attend your generous pasta dinner as I have to collect Abby from work after the paddle. But sounds like a great day and thank you for putting it all together!

Steve
Abby
Maelström Vitäl 166
Zegul Greenland

Steve
Maelström Vaåg 174
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

Ken R wrote:Briggsy,
Bea and I will be carpooling and both would like to join you for a pasta dinner after the paddle.
Is there anything that we could bring like salad, bread, wine?

If you prefer red wine you may want to bring your own as we don't drink it. ( We do however drink pretty much everything else ! )
mgmeyer

Post by mgmeyer »

Hi folks, I'm planning to join this trip. Briggsy - I would love to join you for pasta as well. Feel free to assign me something to bring for dinner - otherwise I might show up with chocolate or booze. Thank you!
TraceyJ

Post by TraceyJ »

Hi Dave,

You can count me in for the post paddling dinner.
It sounds fabulous.

Tracey
Valley Aquanaut / white-on-white
P&H Delphin 150 Surf / Yellow
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

....UPDATE....
Weather looks good for Thursday (unlike today !!) so see everyone down at Morris Island Causeway at 8.30 for a 9.00 launch.
Please let me know if you plan on dinner as I will shop on Wednesday.
I have some beers and cocktails, but if you want wine you may want to bring your choice.

Thanks

Briggsy
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

mgmeyer wrote:Hi folks, I'm planning to join this trip. Briggsy - I would love to join you for pasta as well. Feel free to assign me something to bring for dinner - otherwise I might show up with chocolate or booze. Thank you!

Chocolate or booze is always good!
Briggsy
djblejer

Post by djblejer »

I'd like to come.

Thanks,
Dennis
Ron

Post by Ron »

I will be carpooling with Tracey, Jordan and Norm, so I guess you should count the three of us for dinner also.
Image P&H Cetus HV
Mark G

Post by Mark G »

I will join everyone for pasta Thanks
Rick H

Post by Rick H »

I would like to participate.

Thank you,
Rick
josko

Post by josko »

I'd like to come by for dinner, too.
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

I'll bring a tray of my home made brownies!

Thank you for the dinner invitation Briggsy
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Sadly I need to cancel for tomorrow.

I've been under the weather and would rather enjoy Monomoy healthy.

Have a great / safe day tomorrow everyone.
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
Joy

Post by Joy »

Have a great time tomorrow! Take lots of pics!!!!!
Wilderness System Pro - Tempest 165 Limegreen/White
Liquid Logic - Stingray 125 Red/Red