Sunday July 24 Boston Outer Harbor Islands Jaunt

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

noseykate

Sunday July 24 Boston Outer Harbor Islands Jaunt

Post by noseykate »

Planning to try out RClarke's suggestion of launching from James Ave instead of Windmill Point. I paddled out from Hingham Harbor on a recent Sunday morning and passed this location. There were few cars there and it looked like a good choice for heading out through the Gut, so I want to try it. Location on Google Maps: 42.300824, -70.906744 or 1 James Ave, Hull, MA.

Launch at 9, low slack tide through the Gut and out. Then meander as whim, temperature, and company dictates, in the general outward direction. Lunch/snacks as desired. Ice cream at George's Island as desired. Return with the rising tide, as desired, probably mid-afternoon. Post-trip ice cream as desired. You get the idea: it's about giving way to desires :)

The trip will go regardless of whether I have company, but it sure is nice to share the day with friends.

noseykate
noseykate

Re: Sunday July 24 Boston Outer Harbor Islands Jaunt

Post by noseykate »

Since no one has posted interest, I'm launching an hour earlier. FYI.

nk
twotrout
antispam: No

Post by twotrout »

Hey there
I sent you a pm last night.
And didn't see your update till standing here at the launch site.
Hope it was an enjoyable paddle.
noseykate

Post by noseykate »

Very sorry! Seems my inbox was full and your pm was put on hold. Always best to simply post here. Anyway, it was a very pleasant trip, conditions mild, not much boat traffic on the way out. I really like the put-in on James Ave. Lots of parking, smooth launch area, and a nice way to warm up before hitting the Gut. I went out to Green Island and Outer Brewster, thought about going to the Graves but without someone to talk with on the way it seemed not worth it. Had a picnic lunch with noisy gulls on the far end of Calf Island. Returning across the channel, tremendous boat traffic that was kind of scary, and even more so through the gut. But, maneuvered both without mishap. Definitely the way to pass another very hot day!
norm

Post by norm »

Hey Kate,
What time were you coming back through the gut? I was there, on the way out, at about 1:30 and it was wild getting across! We made it ok but then had a little trouble in the swirly water near Peddocks. I was wishing it was more than two of us and I can't imagine crossing that stuff alone. We were on our way out for a visit to Georges and Peddocks - did more walking than paddling. What a beautiful day! Wish I could have gotten out there as early as you did and spent the whole day visiting more islands. We were probably out there from about 1:15 to 6:30. Caught the last Ranger led tour of Fort Warren and then stopped at Peddocks on the way back and walked all around Fort Andrew. It was very interesting to see all the campsites being used at Peddocks.
Norm
noseykate

Post by noseykate »

Norm, I came back in around 1, so we just missed one another. I didn't cross the gut (that would be nuts!), just came through from outside to inside. And that was crazy enough for me!

nk
Rclarke
antispam: No

Post by Rclarke »

Glad to hear James ave worked out. I frequent there and only about a 30 min paddle to George's.
Sorry I missed the paddle. But went to York Maine and out to Boon island. 19 plus miles and a minke whale showed us his back side. Not to mention an abundance of seals.
I'm always up for a Boston harbor paddle, Brewsters are my favorite spot and lunch on calfs is a must.. Feel free to pm
Bob