Tall Ships - Saturday, June 17, 2017

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

norm

Tall Ships - Saturday, June 17, 2017

Post by norm »

Let's see if I remember how to post a trip!

Would anyone like to join me for a trip out to Spectacle Island on Saturday to view the Tall Ships parade?

The plan is to arrive at Wollaston Beach in Quincy at 6:00am for a 6:30am launch. Go straight out to Spectacle Island and claim a good viewing spot. Boats will be left under a tree near a beach area that is north of the swimming beach. (We could lock them together I guess and take our paddles with us.) We will plan to leave Spectacle at about 2:00pm to beat some of the boat traffic and get back to Wollaston by about 3:30pm.

The parade is from 9:00am to 3:00pm and the route for the sailing ships is from northeast of Deer Island, down the main channel and into the inner harbor. Viewing from Spectacle Island should be fairly good. A few of us did this same trip in 2012 for a smaller parade but apparently, I didn't write a trip report.

High tide is at 5:22am, so launching and landing at Wollaston beach should not be too muddy.

The distance from the beach to Spectacle is about 4.2 miles.

Right now, Tuesday, the weather forecast for Saturday is for winds at about 10-15 mph, temps in the 60's and a possibility of rain. Hopefully that will improve.

Total trip mileage will be about 9 miles. Conditions could be choppy as I expect there will be a lot of boat traffic in the afternoon.

The launch spot would be the break in the sea wall between Tony's and the Clam Box, closer to Tony's. I'll add a map later if anybody is interested.

Wet exit/Rescue skills are required.
I would recommend at least a 15 foot boat with front and rear bulkheads required.
Ability to paddle 10 miles in possibly choppy conditions and 15mph winds.
Bring a lunch, snacks and lots of water and sunscreen.
A chair, binoculars and raincoat might be handy too.

Please respond if you plan to attend.

Norm