AMC Circumnavigation of Newcastle Island April 6th

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

Aquaholic

AMC Circumnavigation of Newcastle Island April 6th

Post by Aquaholic »

For those of us with cabin fever:

Sea Kayak day trip for experienced paddlers with good paddling, bracing, rescue skills and appropriate cold water gear. Min 14 ft kayak with bulkheads/flotation. Trip will launch at Pierce Island and proceed clockwise around Newcastle Island via the Piscataquis River with an optional side trip to Whaleback Light area contingent of favorable temps and sea state. Trip will round Fort Constitution and proceed to breakwater at little harbor with lunch stop at Fort Stark. Return to Pierce Island put in via Leaches and Pest islands.

Registrar: Jerry Smith
softsmithjr@msn.com

http://activities.outdoors.org/search/i ... s/id/66798

Audrey
norm

Re: AMC Circumnavigation of Newcastle Island April 6th

Post by norm »

Audrey - are you planning to attend this trip? I finally got a chance to check it out on Google Earth. Looks interesting and might be a nice trip to do early in the season before there is much traffic. Seems like a place you might want to go with someone that has local knowledge as I'm guessing there may be some strong currents in a few spots.

I'm on the fence about giving it a try. I'd like to get out locally a few times first. But all these skiers keep praying for snow. Should be a good spring for the whitewater folks...
cgr

Post by cgr »

norm wrote:I'm on the fence about giving it a try. I'd like to get out locally a few times first. But all these skiers keep praying for snow. Should be a good spring for the whitewater folks...

Norm, it is so good that they are paddling whitewater in Braintree this spring:

I'm surprised that you haven't been out; the Taunton & Nemasket are as high as I've seen in recent years.
norm

Post by norm »

Thanks Chris. That video of the Monatiquot was interesting. I drive past that river every work day. That's beyond my WW skills. Would that be class 3 at that last drop?

I've still been too busy to get out anywhere and would prefer air temps above 45. Maybe this coming weekend...

I did the Nemasket many years ago when it was flooded so high that you could paddle in the trees like glades skiing. The problem with that was every bridge had to be portaged because you couldn't get under them.

I think the Taunton is probably boring at any water level. Only worth paddling during foliage season.
noseykate

Post by noseykate »

norm wrote:Thanks Chris. That video of the Monatiquot was interesting. I drive past that river every work day. That's beyond my WW skills. Would that be class 3 at that last drop?

It's well beyond a class 3. Mark and I couldn't find a way past all the fences around it to figure out what was actually involved in the drop. Not sure I would have run it anyway.
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

norm wrote:I'm on the fence about giving it a try. I'd like to get out locally a few times first. But all these skiers keep praying for snow. Should be a good spring for the whitewater folks...

Norm,
Ron and I were up in that area a testing out P&H Boats. It was a nice area that I wouldn't mind checking out again sometime.
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
Aquaholic

Post by Aquaholic »

norm wrote:Audrey - are you planning to attend this trip? I finally got a chance to check it out on Google Earth. Looks interesting and might be a nice trip to do early in the season before there is much traffic. Seems like a place you might want to go with someone that has local knowledge as I'm guessing there may be some strong currents in a few spots.

I'm on the fence about giving it a try. I'd like to get out locally a few times first. But all these skiers keep praying for snow. Should be a good spring for the whitewater folks...

Hi Norm,
Yes, I'm planning on going. I did an "ocean skills" class off of Whaleback Light and a circumnavigation of Gerrish Island last year with these leaders. I know they do this trip every year and have detailed knowledge of/experience with the area.
Besides, I have a new Gore-Tex dry suit to christen. :D
If you want more detailed info about current and tides, contact Jerry at softsmithjr@msn.com.

Audrey
norm

Post by norm »

I have sent email to Jerry and plan to attend this trip on Saturday. Thanks for sharing it here Audrey so we'd know about it. I would not have seen it otherwise. I'm an AMC member, but I seldom look up their trips.
Aquaholic

Post by Aquaholic »

Norm,

Great, it is a beautiful area! There are a number of new leaders in the Boston AMC Chapter that have planned some excellent trips for this season. Quite a few high level trips that I think you would like. There is a week long kayak-camping trip in Stonington, Maine (July) with level 2 and level 3 trips offered almost every day from the base camp at Old Quarry. For those that can't commit to the full week, a weekend option is also available, I believe.
Looking forward to paddling with you again!

Audrey
Audrey
P&H Cetus LV
Ken R
antispam: No

Post by Ken R »

Norm, Please take notes, It is an area I have been thinking about exploreing
KR
norm

Post by norm »

Ken R wrote:Norm, Please take notes, It is an area I have been thinking about exploreing

I don't take notes...paper gets wet...but I do take pictures :D :D :D
norm

Post by norm »

norm wrote:
Ken R wrote:Norm, Please take notes, It is an area I have been thinking about exploreing

I don't take notes...paper gets wet...but I do take pictures :D :D :D

Sorry, not going to have any notes or pictures - too cold and windy today - will have to try again some other time.