Yakima RACKandROLL 66" Kayak Trailer

sjm1027
antispam: No

Yakima RACKandROLL 66" Kayak Trailer

Post by sjm1027 »

Does anyone know who sells kayak trailers in the area?
I would like to get something soon. Looking at Yakima RACKandROLL 66" Trailer and also open to any other ideas. Maybe someone could tell us what they have and like.
I have 2 Wilderness Pungo 120 Kayaks. They are 30" Wide and 12' Long. I am looking for the smallest trailer, something that can fold up and be put away in the winter.
Looking to see where I can get one around here. I see Kittery Trading Post sells them and I can also get it mail order but I am looking to purchase it all put together and ready to go.

Thanks for your help in advance
Steve
Griffd

Re: Yakima RACKandROLL 66" Kayak Trailer

Post by Griffd »

Hi Steve,

I'm not sure why I just noticed this post but I was curious if you went with the 66" RacknRoll trailer.
I bought one last year and it has been great!

Dave
sjm1027

Post by sjm1027 »

Hi Dave,

I purchased it early July after I posted to the group. I did get the 66" believe it or not I am still waiting for the delivery from CA. Funny you wrote to me because today Fedex said it should be delivered on Thursday (Cross fingers)
I am just tired of lifting them on the SUV. I can't wait to load the 2 kayaks on the trailer.
What are you using on the top for racks? I have Thule collapsable J racks. I may sell them to carry the kayaks flat. I have 2 Wilderness Pungo's 12 foot. Both together will fit flat.
How does it handle at 55 MPH?
Can you see it backing up?
Appreciate anything you could tell me. I can't wait to pick it up, Maybe Saturday!
I will write back once I drive it around.

Steve
Griffd

Post by Griffd »

Hi Steve,

Towing .... I pull the trailer with 2 different vehicles - a Honda CRV and an F150 pickup. I typically keep my speed between 60-65 mph. At this speed there is absolutely no swaying. As a matter of fact, you don't event know the trailer is behind you.

Saddles .... I purchased my trailer online from OrsRacksDirect.com. At the time I purchased the trailer, I also ordered the Yakima EvenKeel saddles which have a universal mount designed to fit any shape bar (round, square, other). They didn't work on the round bars.... I started to notice that the saddles were losing their grip on the bar and slowly spreading apart (not a good thing). OrsRacksDirect was great and replaced the EvenKeels (at not cost) with the Yakima Mako Saddle - these have worked perfectly.

Accessories ... I would highly recommend the following accessories:

(1) a kickstand and
(2) safety poles

I actually installed 2 safety poles (one on each side) to assist with backing up the trailer. The problem I have when towing it behind my truck is that, because of the size of the truck, I cannot see the trailer behind me (this is with 2 - 15.5' Kayaks loaded). As I start to turn, I can pick up the safety poles in my side view mirrors. This is not an issue when towing behind my CRV. However, I would still recommend the safety poles so other drivers can see your trailer on the road.

http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and ... 08114.html
http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and ... 08115.html

Maintenance ... I put dielectric grease on the 4 pin electrical fittings - trailer and vehicle. Also, apply a little marine grease every now and then to axles and ball mount.

Note ... my trailer shipped with a 1 7/8" ball mount. I recently learned that is should have shipped with a standard 2" ball mount. This is not a concern, however, if yours comes with the 1 7/8" mount, contact Yakima and they will ship the 2" free of charge.

Hope this helps... enjoy.

Dave
sjm1027

Post by sjm1027 »

Hi Dave,

Thanks for all the information. Hope I can register it on Friday. I should be able to pick it up on Saturday.
I have all Thule Racks now. Not sure how it will fit. I will put them on and see how it goes. I may sell them over the winter and mount the kayaks flat. There should be room.
I did order the kick stand and spare tire but not the safety poles yet. I will get them from etrailer once I am ready to mount them. I also heard the same comment about the 2" hitch and the 1 7/8 hitch. My 4runner has a 2" setup.
Thanks for the Maintenance tips, I will do the same for sure.
I'll let you know what I decide to do with the racks. Hope I can just keep what I have.
Thanks again,
Steve
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Can we mod the Yakima to do this?

Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Griffd

Post by Griffd »

Only if I upgrade to 3 of the 78" RacknRolls and pull then in tandem!

And to think I have trouble backing up the one I have now!
sjm1027

Post by sjm1027 »

Awesome, What did you do to the suspension?
I know you can get a 300 lbs upgrade but your way over 300 lbs, your around 1200 lbs?

Steve
sjm1027

Post by sjm1027 »

Finally got the trailer home. The Thule racks when tightened still move around the round the yakima pole. I am thinking once the kayak is on and strapped down it could work but I am not very sure. Backing the trailer up is difficult but tomorrow I practice and Sunday put the trailer to use.
Thank you for all your help
Steve
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (149.47 KiB) Viewed 25829 times
sjm1027

Post by sjm1027 »

I am using Thule Hull-a-port that I had on the roof of my SUV. They do twist a little around the Yakima round pole but I think when the kayak is strapped on it should be pretty stable. We'll see tomorrow.
Attachments
kayak.JPG
kayak.JPG (151.89 KiB) Viewed 25822 times