Monomoy trip, Thursday 25th June 2015

Trip reports that don't have a page dedicated to them.

Moderator: Chip

Briggsy

Monomoy trip, Thursday 25th June 2015

Post by Briggsy »

There was a good response after posting the trip and it was a nice surprise to have 11 of us meeting at the Morris Island launch. The weather forecast was perfect, just enough breeze to keep cool. I had planned the trip around low tide occurring at lunchtime when we would be at the lighthouse at the far end of Monomoy Island, therefore passing through the tricky sandbars at mid tide, allowing for some margin of error.
We set off at 9.15 and quickly made our way down to the break where we spotted our first seals (of many). The Atlantic was calm and flat with just a few small waves breaking over some offshore sandbars, but we were soon heading back into the maze of channels between the two islands. We kept up a steady pace and other than one small mistake managed to follow the channels south to eventually emerge into Nantucket Sound. From there it is a straight 3 mile paddle to the marked "Lighthouse Landing" where we arrived at 11.45. Everyone must've been hungry as most of us started on lunch. Josko was keen to paddle around the tip of Monomoy but fearing a Sharknado I chose to return on the Nantucket Sound side. Josko recruited Melissa, Mark, Mike and Rick for the mission, while Ken, Norm, Bea, Steve and Ron opted to join me. Our group hiked over to the lighthouse and it was nice to see they had cleaned up and got rid of the trash from the renovations. It looked like someone was living there as there was a solar shower bag outside. Probably Dept. Fish & Wildlife as Monomoy is a reserve. We tried to hike over to the Atlantic side and eventually found a trail we could use. There were plenty of seals and a huge pod about a quarter mile down the beach. Norm and Bea hiked down to them while the rest of us watched for the classic Great White jumping out of the water with a seal carcass in its mouth, but no luck, just a cute seal pup watching us and splashing about. We kept a watch for Team Josko rounding the corner but we left before they came past.
Back at the kayaks, we got ready and launched at 2pm for the trip back. We decided to stay on the Nantucket Sound side all the way up to Stage Harbor just for a change, I hadn't paddled that part for a few years so it was good to refresh the memory. We had the wind at our backs most of the way and had more entertaining seal encounters. When we arrived back at Morris Island around 4.30 we saw Team Josko carrying their gear up the beach so they had just beat us back.
Everyone except Steve and Rick headed back to my house for PPR.
My GPS showed 16.1 nautical miles.
It was an excellent day paddling with fab weather and a great crowd. Thanks everyone for travelling so far to do the trip.
Here is the actual GPS track of the Team Briggsy group.
Hopefully one of the better photographers will post some pics.

Briggsy
Attachments
mon625.jpg
mon625.jpg (105.91 KiB) Viewed 29990 times
Azane
antispam: No

Re: Monomoy trip, Thursday 25th June 2015

Post by Azane »

A fun paddle and a swell day. Ideal conditions with seals & more seals!

Thanks for all, Steve
Abby
Maelström Vitäl 166
Zegul Greenland

Steve
Maelström Vaåg 174
Ron

Post by Ron »

Thanks for hosting a great trip and great PPR. The bar has been set high for future trips.
Image P&H Cetus HV
Mark G

Post by Mark G »

Great day, great trip Thanks dave
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Thank you for an awesome day on and off the water, Dave.

Here is the public link to the photos I took yesterday.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 5753168214

Enjoy the photos everyone!
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
Joy

Post by Joy »

Thanks for the great pics Bea. You all must of had a wonderful day.
Wilderness System Pro - Tempest 165 Limegreen/White
Liquid Logic - Stingray 125 Red/Red
Ken R

Post by Ken R »

Great trip Briggsy!
KR
Ron

Post by Ron »

These guys are so curious.

w6250028.jpg
w6250028.jpg (74.52 KiB) Viewed 29863 times
Image P&H Cetus HV
Azane

Post by Azane »

And by the way, Ron....swell seal photo. Thanks for posting!

ST
Abby
Maelström Vitäl 166
Zegul Greenland

Steve
Maelström Vaåg 174