GPS for kayaking

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

Joy

GPS for kayaking

Post by Joy »

Hi Everone
Hope your winter was good. I have a question. Which Gps do you think is the best for kayaking. Jim and I have been in many situations that we could of used one. I know charts are the best but we can't be printing out charts every place we go. Any input whould be greatly appreciated. Leaving florida tomorrow and heading west. Hitting many different waters. See you all in two years.
I'll be thinking of you every Thursday.
Thanks Joy.
Wilderness System Pro - Tempest 165 Limegreen/White
Liquid Logic - Stingray 125 Red/Red
tailspin

Re: GPS for kayaking

Post by tailspin »

I've been using a Garmin Etrex Legend for about 13 years on kayaking trips. I like it because it's pretty small but has a large screen. You can switch from Land to Water making it easier to see the rivers and waterways. The batteries seem to last for about 3 days of 8-9 hour use per day. I just bought ( yesterday with REI credit ) a Garmin Etrex 30x. Haven't used it yet though. I only bought that one because they don't make the Legend anymore. My original Legend's screen finally started to go and I had found a used one on Craig's list a few years ago. I have no complaints about the Legend. I'm sad they don't make it anymore.
To mount it on my kayak, I bought a cellphone mount with a swivel head and screwed it down to the top of my kayak along with a rubber gasket right in front of my cockpit onto a spot that looks like it was made for a compass. ( compass didn't come with the kayak when I bought it ) I put Velcro on the back of the GPS and onto the mount. I also wrap the lanyard around the mount and loop it around the adjustment screws just in case it does come off the mount. I've never dropped it in the water over 13 years and hundreds of miles.
https://goo.gl/photos/sE9vDeoH8VYi8DG8A

John
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Why are waterproof/marine GPSs so freaking expensive?? A 2.2" screen is simply too small for my aging eyes. I bought a nice Garmin Nuvi 57 with a 5" screen for my car for $85. A waterproof GPS with a 4" screen (Garmin Montana 680t) costs $500. I just can't believe that the technology to waterproof a GPS is so bleeding edge that it justifies a 500% increase in price.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
tailspin

Post by tailspin »

I agree. Doesn't make all that much sense. That's why I stayed with my Legend for so long. It was pretty cheap when I bought it in 2001.
The replacements are ridiculous in cost. I only got this new one because I have an REI credit card and get dividends on purchases. I charge everything to the card all year long.
I get almost $600 in credit in March each year. Been outfitting my sons with camping gear for the last few years. I had enough left over this year to get a new GPS.
I also carry a topo map and compass as a backup. Not enough people know how to use a map and compass.

Would a "RAM MOUNTS RAM BIG SCREEN GPS MAGNIFIER 2X4 2X" help with the screen size?
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

I don't know. Sounds like an interesting idea, but I suspect that in actual usage, it could be a bit clumsy. I usually have my gps sitting flat on my spray skirt and I glance at it from time to time. It's not in a fixed position aimed at my face.

Truth be told, I don't really have that big a need for a gps. For the most part, I'm paddling areas that I know. I'm not out in the midst of some unknown islands trying to find an obscure location. I use it a lot to see how my paddling style, the current or the wind are affecting my speed, how far I've paddled, etc. The tech geek in me would like to have a nicer one than I have, but for hundreds of dollars, I simply can't justify it.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
tailspin

Post by tailspin »

Yea, I can see how the cost doesn't outweigh the benefit. I go on a 5-6 day trips with friends once a year, always in a different location. While I do a ton of research ahead of time so that I know the entire area we are paddling in, having the GPS makes it much easier to find the campsites, points of interest, side trips ( feeder streams ), breweries :D ( We went down the CT river last year and camped next to the Harpoon Brewery.
Joy

Post by Joy »

Thanks for your input, Pat, John and Jordan. I did buy one. A Garmin gpsmap 78sc. It comes loaded with all USA costal waters. Will be picking it up on Tuesday. West Marine has its on sale for $199.99 if you want to check it out.
Joy.
Wilderness System Pro - Tempest 165 Limegreen/White
Liquid Logic - Stingray 125 Red/Red
Ken R
antispam: No

Post by Ken R »

Joy,
That is the one I have had for several years. Although they claim it to be water proof, I keep mine in a dry bag at all times.
KR