Skill on July 23rd 2020

Joy

Skill on July 23rd 2020

Post by Joy »

Tides are off for Hingham on the July 23. So it looks like 2 skills weeks in a row this month. I'm proposing we have Skills at long pond in Plymouth. I'll be there by 4, for some rolling, self rescuing and just about anything else. And of course PPPP. Hope to see a lot of you there.
Joy
Wilderness System Pro - Tempest 165 Limegreen/White
Liquid Logic - Stingray 125 Red/Red
AnnaB
antispam: No

Re: Skill on July 23rd 2020

Post by AnnaB »

Hey Joy!

If I am looking at the right pond I think that is close enough to come! Is it Clark road just off Route 3?

If I get stuck at work still might not make it but hope to. Will post here if plans change.

Anna
Joy

Post by Joy »

Yes Anna that is the right pond. That's what Bea, Norm, and I was thinking. Closer for all you people from cape to come to skills. Hope to you can make it!!
Rachel

Post by Rachel »

Will you be doing a Tuesday event this week in addition to the training on Thursday which I an on attend ??
norm

Post by norm »

I will not be posting a mid-week trip this week. Not sure if Bea will.

Sharon and I will becoming to Long Pond Thursday but will not arrive till about 4:30.
Rachel

Post by Rachel »

Hi joy
I hope you had a good weekend and stayed cool...I need to work on my skills and qould like toi you but need to confirm something first. Rachel
Joy

Post by Joy »

Ok Rachel. I hope you can make it.
dhodgkins

Post by dhodgkins »

Hi Everyone,

Debra here.

I am hoping to make this skills event as well. I just reinstated my account to this website. Anna mentioned it. She and I have paddled before with the Bourne to Kayak group.

From the thread it notes Long Pond in Plymouth?

Debra
Joy

Post by Joy »

Yes Deb it is long pond in Plymouth. I hope to see you there.
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

I plan on being there...PostPaddle Parkinglot Picnic included.

Bea - NorwayLady
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
Joy

Post by Joy »

Glad you can make it Bea!
Dan

Post by Dan »

See you al tomorrow at Long Pond.

-- Dan
noseykate

Post by noseykate »

Sorry to miss this every time, but Thursday is my grandson childcare day up in Salem. Maybe by the time he is in grade school...

I want to say hi to Dan though. Dan taught me everything I know about rolling, aided by the other Pond Scum, Will and Turner. Dan is a truly gifted teacher so you should just ask him for help and then do what he says. It will change your kayaking life. Dan, thank you for all those evenings at Walden, and know that I have put it all to good use, even though I've lapsed on a good many of those fancy rolls. The competence those lessons gave me allowed me to carry out solo expeditions with some degree of confidence, trips that have made my life so much richer. Good to know you are on the south shore and I hope we meet up soon.

Kate
Joy

Post by Joy »

See you tomorrow Dan
dhodgkins

Post by dhodgkins »

What time is the skills event at Long Pond? I probably won't be able to leave work until 4 PM.
Also, assuming the pond is ok...no green algae?

Debra
Joy

Post by Joy »

Hi Debra I hear the lake is ok and we start around 4 but we are there to about 6 to 7 then PPPP hope you are still coming.
dhodgkins

Post by dhodgkins »

Yes, Definitely. Thanks!!!
Dan

Post by Dan »

Kate --

Now that's just embarrassing! But thank you for your kind words. It was all your skill, not anyone else's.

I remember how much people enjoyed your mentoring at Delmarva. I also remember that the first time I ever paddled in Plymouth was with you and a friend of yours. I live in Plymouth now, and still paddle about three times a week. I'll contact you via email to see if I can coax you down here for some kayak time.

-- Dan

Debra --

Long Pond is quite clear, though some of the locals remember that it was even clearer decades back. There's no undergrowth. it's one of the deepest ponds in the Commonwealth. Much of the land around the shore has been in the same families for generations. One of those families, I've been told, is Steinway of piano-building fame.

The water's pretty warm now, say 80 degrees or so. pretty close to bathtub temperature.

The parking lot and launching ramp are concrete. But there's a little sand area next to the ramp that's sand, where a creek empties out from the little pond that's on the other end of the parking area.

There has been a largish meet-up group of SUPs and rec-boats coming to the pond some evenings, about 6 or so. They seem to be nice folks. They were there on Tuesday night, so I'm hoping that the parking lot will be free and clear for us this afternoon.

-- Dan
Rachel

Post by Rachel »

Hi All
Rachel her from Wrentham, it looks like thunder and lightning tonight in Hingham for the skills sessions. Thoughts?
Rachel
Joy

Post by Joy »

We are going to be in Plymouth, at long pond not Hingham. I plan on being there around 3:30. I'm going to take my chances. You know the weather, If we go we will get bad weather if we dont the storms will miss us. The choise is yours but I hope to see you.
norm

Post by norm »

Rachel,

My opinion is not to let the weather people control your life when there is just as much potential for clear weather as there is for some scattered storms when there is the safety of getting out of danger quickly. In other words, since we can get out of the water pretty quick if we see the storm coming then I like to go out and have fun rather than sit home and miss an activity. Conversely, if I was planning a 10 mile trip with nowhere to escape a storm, I'd consider cancelling. Of course you need to take into account the distance you need to travel to enjoy the activity, so we'd all understand if you choose not to make the trip.

By the way, we're at Long Pond in Plymouth tonight, not in Hingham. I'm planning to be there.

Norm
Joy

Post by Joy »

Well I checked future radar it says it won't get to Plymouth till after 7:30pm if that help everyone that's on the fence.
AnnaB

Post by AnnaB »

Heading up! See at least some of you at long pond. Should be there around 4.

Anna
Rachel

Post by Rachel »

Hiya All
Thank you for the feedback and well noted. I actually got tied up posting a used car add for my son's subaru outback. It is a 2006 but in very good condition with low mileage and dealer maintained. Let me know if you know of one as it is a great car for kayaking! I can share the Auto trader site in 24 hours if anyone is interested. Basically that is why I didnt make it out tonight, but at 4:45 Wrentham got thunder and lightening and a flush of rain. Hope it missed you guys. I'll be keep my radar on for future posts and will most definately be at the skills next week. During my absence tonigh, I just made a batch of rose petal pineapple sorbet with Ranier cherries. I would love to share at a PPP but not sure it would survive the trip.
Rachel
Ken R

Post by Ken R »

That was a great lake for both skills and a nice paddle too.
KR
AnnaB

Post by AnnaB »

Fun times! Good to meet a bit more of the crew— have a good weekend all and thanks for everyone’s willingness to share ideas and teach.
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Long Pond in Plymouth was awesome. I would love to see more skill sessions here, especially since the pond in Hanson is getting overgrown with weed. Great turnout today. Fun night. My vote would be to meet at Long Pond again.

Bea - NorwayLady
Bea
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Rachel wrote:Hiya All
Thank you for the feedback and well noted. I actually got tied up posting a used car add for my son's subaru outback. It is a 2006 but in very good condition with low mileage and dealer maintained. Let me know if you know of one as it is a great car for kayaking! I can share the Auto trader site in 24 hours if anyone is interested. Basically that is why I didnt make it out tonight, but at 4:45 Wrentham got thunder and lightening and a flush of rain. Hope it missed you guys. I'll be keep my radar on for future posts and will most definately be at the skills next week. During my absence tonigh, I just made a batch of rose petal pineapple sorbet with Ranier cherries. I would love to share at a PPP but not sure it would survive the trip.
Rachel

Hi Rachel.
You were missed tonight, but there will be more skill sessions.

There is a “Classified” section on the forum. If you post the Subaru there, more kayakers will most likely see it. There is also a way to add photos.

Bea - NorwayLady
Bea